Best practices for syncing 2 1Password accounts?

Options
auc
auc
Community Member

Nexus 5x phone
Android OS 6.0.1
Dropbox sync

I have 2 different 1Password accounts, 1 for work and one for home. Before I re-sync my new phone to the database on Dropbox, I thought I would ask what the best practice would be to merge the database from both accounts. I originally added some of the more common passwords to both accounts.
Anyway, at this point in time can I have 1Password access 2 different databases?
Is there a way to merge the DBs and push the Work items to a work folder and the home items to a home folder?
Can I tag the data outside of 1Password to be associated with those folders?
Is there a best practices document for organizing the data?
Any other thoughts on this scenario?

George

1Password Version: 4.5.3b2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android OS 6.0.1
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: ug:android/settings-display, ug:android/settings-filling, ug:android/settings-display, ug:android/settings-sync, kb:sync-options

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hi @auc. Currently, 1Password 4 for Android doesn't have support for syncing multiple vaults, so you won't be able to sync with both of them. Multiple vault support is something we often receive requests for, however, and we're hoping to add it in the future. In fact, we're very close to releasing 1Password for Teams on Android, which will indeed support multiple vaults as you're describing. You can keep your eye out for the next beta update, which will have Teams support if you'd like to try it out.

As to merging the two vaults, that can be tricky. Are you syncing with any other devices?

• auc
    auc
    Community Member
    Options

As to merging the two vaults, that can be tricky. Are you syncing with any other devices?

Yes, I sync with an iMac at work and na iMac at home and my wife syncs with a MacBook air.

• peri
    Options

Thanks for the info, @auc. While you can't merge two vaults on Android, you certainly can on Mac, if you'd like to go that route. Then you could certainly organize the items using folders, tags, and smart folders.

To merge the two vaults, first create a backup on each Mac by selecting File > Backup > Backup Now. Then load one vault, and open your sync preferences panel. Then change syncing so that it syncs with the other vault. You'll see a merge warning at that point. Go ahead and merge the vaults.

That will put all of the information from both vaults into a single one, which you can then organize however you prefer.

The other option would be to use 1Password for Teams to sync each vault separately. You'll just need to make sure you're using 1Password 6 for Mac in order to create Teams vaults. That said, Teams isn't quite ready on Android yet, but we're expecting to release it within coming weeks.

As to which option is best, I'll leave that up to you to decide. Both options have perks, and so it really depends on your needs and workflow.

Let me know if you have more questions or need clarification on either of those options. Thanks again!

• auc
    auc
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way to have 2 different 1Password apps on one device? I'm guessing not but I have to ask.

• peri
    Options

It's possible (though not recommended because it can lead to problems) to have two separate installations of 1Password on Mac, but not possible on Android. If you install 1Password on Android, it will install the latest available version, and if you already have 1Password installed, it will just have the option to Open the app rather than install again.

• auc
    auc
    Community Member
    Options

OK. Thanks. I guess I will just need to wait for vaults on Android. Hopefully it will come soon.

• saad
    Options

We will certainly let our team know you’re interested in seeing multiple vaults support on Android for local vaults. Thanks. :)

This discussion has been closed.