Default format on Mac is now OPVault

Options
jsmarshall
jsmarshall
Community Member

Hi I would just like to clarify something. I currently have 1P for Mac and Android and I sync with Dropbox. It says in the 6.0 changelog "OPVault is now the default sync format when creating a new file using Dropbox or Folder sync". So my current keychains will stay the same unless I manually update. But if I create a new vault then it will be OPVault which is not compatible with Android so that vault won't work with my phone, correct? I saw in another post that the solution would be to use the OPVault format and sync my phone on WiFi.

1. Is everything I said above true?
  2. Will OPVault ever be supported on Android?
  3. Can I set the default vault format to be Agile Keychain? What is the main disadvantage in this? I see the technical article on OPVault but nothing about why the change was made.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OX 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• peri
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @jsmarshall. I'll be happy to answer your questions. :)

Is everything I said above true?

Yes. If you're already using the Agile Keychain format for your vaults, they won't change. However, any new vaults created on Mac will be in OPVault format. 1Password on Android uses the Agile Keychain format for Dropbox and local storage sync. We don’t support the OPVault format for these sync methods at the moment, but this is something we've received lots of requests for, and we're going to look into adding OPVault support soon.

As you noted, Wi-Fi sync uses a sort of internal version of the OPVault format. So if you're using OPVault vault on other devices, you can sync one Mac (or PC) with Android using Wi-Fi sync without having to switch to Agile Keychain.

Will OPVault ever be supported on Android?

Our priority is feature parity, so we are indeed hoping to add OPVault support to 1Password on Android.

Can I set the default vault format to be Agile Keychain? What is the main disadvantage in this? I see the technical article on OPVault but nothing about why the change was made.

You can indeed switch to Agile Keychain for new vaults on Mac.The main advantage of OPVault is that it's a more secure format than Agile Keychain. Probably the main advantages to OPVault is that it encrypts your metadata and uses a more secure encryption algorithm. Back when Agile Keychain was designed, devices didn't have as much processing power as they do now, so Agile Keychain left some metadata unencrypted in order to sort of go easy on battery life and device performance. This isn't necessary anymore due to the ever increasing capabilities of devices, so we were able to make the switch to OPVault.

You can find a little more about the history of OPVault and the differences between it and Agile Keychain here:
    https://support.1password.com/opvault-design/#a-bit-of-history

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.