Application crashes when importing data.1pif

Hello,
1password is showing some strange bugs on my mac. I haven't found any related issue with the search-function and I hope someone can help me. My system is clean, it has been reset and reinstalled completely from scratch (hence the reinstalling of 1password).

Specs:
OSX El Capitan 10.11.2 (15C50)
MacBook Pro (15 inch, 2012)
2,3 GHz Intel Core i7

Problems:

1: When typing there are no letters. The form field shows some strange dark pixels but you cannot make anything out till you finish and press return. This is a mild annoyance, still …

2: This is the dealbraker: I cannot import my manual export (I did not save an auto backup since I exportet all files, BUT the autosave that was created today could NOT be imported either for some reason … ). I tested the import of the files once before I reset the OS, it worked fine then.

3: Before you ask: I can't seem to be able to upgrade to the latest version. I tried right after I typed in my licence key again.
I bought my license a few years back and the most recent version I had available is this one. There is no specific error code it simply statet there has been error.

I have a pdf-export of all passwords printed out because there are work related passwords involved – thank paranoia … However, I really dread the though of typing a few hundred different logins manually into my password manager … if this should be the outcome i will definately not do it again in 1password.

I hope someone can help me?
Thanks in advance,
Thomas

1Password Version: 3.8.21 (build 32009)
Extension Version: n.a.
OS Version: OSX El Capitan 10.11.2 (15C50)
Sync Type: n.a.

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hey @tmayrhofer,

Thank you for contacting us here in the 1Password support forums, and thanks for including the version information of 1Password and your OS. I'm sorry you're having some trouble installing 1Password on your Mac. We'll be happy to help you out.

First, I'll point out that there are known issues with 1Password 3 on OSX 10.11. El Capitan. El Capitan does not support v3 very well, which is understandable when you consider that v3 has been out of active development for years now. So while we won't be fixing any bugs in v3, 1Password 6 for Mac should work great on El Capitan, so we really recommend upgrading. You can use your v3 license key to get a great upgrade discount on a v6 license in our upgrade store.

Here's a helpful guide to walk you through updating from v3 to v6: How do I upgrade 1Password for Mac from version 3?
    As you're working with a fresh install with no data, you won't need to backup the data file, but do the steps that make sense there.

I did see your comment about being unable to upgrade to the latest version and encountering an error. Without knowing exactly what the error message said or when it appeared, it'll be hard for us to help you with that. If you run into that error again while attempting the upgrade steps outlined in the guide I just linked to, please take a screenshot to post here for us, or at the very least describe what triggered that error and include the full text of the error message, so we can understand what's going on and how to resolve it.

I'm not entirely sure why the .1pif import isn't working for you in v3, but you should be able to import that file into v6 after you upgrade by selecting File > Import... from the menu bar.

I look forward to hearing how this all goes for you, and we'll be here to field any other questions you may have. :)

• tmayrhofer
    tmayrhofer
    Community Member

Hello there, thank you for your timely reply!

I did see your comment about being unable to upgrade to the latest version and encountering an error. Without knowing exactly what the error message said or when it appeared, it'll be hard for us to help you with that. If you run into that error again while attempting the upgrade steps outlined in the guide I just linked to, please take a screenshot to post here for us, or at the very least describe what triggered that error and include the full text of the error message, so we can understand what's going on and how to resolve it.<<

As I said there is no specific error message. It states basically (translated from german): "There has been an error, please try again."
    Screenshots are attached. I get this since some versions and this stopped bothereing till now.

I try installing v6 and will see if that fixes it. Thanks in advance.
    regard,
    Thomas

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @tmayrhofer,

We will wait to hear back from you. Hopefully 1Password 6 installs and there is no trouble with your licence being accepted. If you have any problems please do let us know and we will do our best to assist.

This discussion has been closed.