Generating passwords with numbers and capital letters

Options
Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: How can I generate Diceware passwords on Mac like in the iOS version?.

Comments

• BentBird
    BentBird
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Im not sure if the beta addresses this, but my current workflow for password generation on mac is to generate a three word password on 1password for IOS, then switch to 1password for mac and fill in the password with a random capital and numbers replacing the hyphens to meet minimum password standards.

Without an option to include a random capital(s), special chars and number(s), a user is going to need to manually edit the password for most sites. Hopefully the final stable version includes this option.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BentBird,

It sounds like your question is a bit different than the ones in the previous thread, so I moved your post to a new discussion to avoid confusion. I hope you don't mind!

...my current workflow for password generation on mac is to generate a three word password on 1password for IOS, then switch to 1password for mac...

If you're trying to create a "Diceware" password, you can do that on your Mac now, as we added "wordlist passwords" to 1Password 6 for Mac. Just click on the 1Password mini icon in your Mac's menubar (or the 1Password extension icon in your browser), go to Password Generator, and click on the "Words" option there. This is a feature many customers had been asking us to add for a while, so we're excited to have included it in version 6! :)

...and fill in the password with a random capital and numbers replacing the hyphens to meet minimum password standards.

If you need to create passwords containing capital letters, digits, or symbols, then you won't want to create a wordlist/Diceware password. In the password generator, simply click on the "Characters" option (you can adjust a few other options there as well).

Or in 1Password 6 for iOS, when you're using the password generator, you can swipe left/right to switch between "Characters" and "Words".

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions about that or need something else, please let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.