Is WiFi sync on 1P 6.0 beta meant to work?

Options
JENZ
JENZ
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Android

Hi there,
I am using the beta (now b4) of 1Password for Mac 6.
I notice I can't sync to my Android devices. The error message only pops up very quickly on the Android device, but it basically says it can't connect to server, and to please check the computer and ensure WiFi sync is running.

The server is for sure running on the Mac.

Any suggestions?

Thanks..

Jonathan

1Password Version: 6.0-BETA-4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• Hi Jonathan,

Wi-Fi sync should be working in 1Password 6. I have asked Saad to jump into this thread to help as he is our resident Android expert, but in the meantime, could you please test the official 1Password release and see if Wi-Fi sync works for you there? That will help us narrow things down and see if this is a regression in the beta or something related to your setup.

You can find the official version on our downloads page. You will likely need to move your 1Password 6 app to the Trash to prevent 1Password 5 from accidentally connecting to the wrong mini.

Please let us know how it turns out :)

• saad
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry to hear Wi-Fi sync is not working between your Mac and your Android device. I had no problems with syncing my Mac running 1Password 6 (b4) and my Android device with 1Password 4.5.3 from Google Play. Let's figure out what's going on on your devices!

It sounds like you configured Wi-Fi sync successfully in the past, and 1Password for Android is no longer able to find your Mac. The best way for us to understand the exact problem is to get a diagnostic report from your Android device. To create a report, please follow this guide:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/android.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• JENZ
    JENZ
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Saad,
    I have reinstalled the official release (5.4.2), and the sync again works fine over WiFi. Well, apart from the fact 1P on Android crashed at the end of the sync. But upon restarting it, all new entries are in place... so the sync appears to have worked.

So, at this stage it is looking like the issue may be with the beta versions.

UPDATE:
    Since writing the above, I tried to sync again. Mostly to see if the crash would happen again. But, now the syncing is back to not working. Same message. I have generated a report on the android device, and sent it through.

Thanks...

Jonathan

• JENZ
    JENZ
    Community Member
    Options

I inadvertently sent one report to the default address that was generated on the Android phone (support+android@...). So I now sent another copy to the support+forum@... address.

Ticket number for the one I sent to the wrong address, is : EMJ-52596-319
    I am still waiting on the auto-responder for the second one.

• JENZ
    JENZ
    Community Member
    Options

The ticket generated from sending my report to support+forum@... is NEA-15218-253

• terinjokes
    terinjokes
    Community Member
    Options

@saad I'm running 6.0.BETA-5 on OS X and 4.5.3b2 on Android and WiFi Sync seems to complete, but I'm not actually getting the new logins. I see the notification widget flash that it's 'Loading 16 items" and I get the popup saying that sync completed but no items were downloaded.

• saad
    edited January 2016
    Options

Thanks for the diagnostic reports, Jonathan. They are very helpful.

Originally, I thought 1Password for Android was able to find your Mac on the network but it incorrectly ignored the connection. However, after reviewing the sync log, it turned out this was not the case at all. Instead, it looks like 1Password for Android is not able to detect any Wi-Fi servers on the network.

Usually security software are known to cause interference with Wi-Fi sync. The good news is, in most cases, all it requires is adding a simple rule for 1Password! Could you confirm if you are running any security software (firewall, antivirus, etc.) on your Mac and your Android device?

Also, could you give Wi-Fi sync a try a few times on your Android device with the Wi-Fi sync dialog open on the Mac (Window > Wi-Fi sync)? Let me know if 1Password for Android is able to find your Mac after a couple of attempts. Thanks.

• saad
    Options

Sorry to hear new items are not syncing between your devices, @terinjokes. Let's figure out what's going on.

I would like you to add a new item on your Android device and another new item on your Mac. Name them differently, but something easy so you are able to identify them later. Pull down on the item list on Android to trigger sync.

Once sync completes, please follow the instructions I posted above to create a diagnostic report and send it to us by email. Also, let us know if the new items you created are visible on both devices after completing sync.

I’ll take a look at your sync log in the diagnostic report and get back to you. Thanks.

• terinjokes
    terinjokes
    Community Member
    Options

@saad I've sent an email.

I created a secure note on each of OS X and Android and pulled to start a sync. Neither secure note appears on the other device.

• saad
    edited January 2016
    Options

Thanks @terinjokes. Let me know the Support ID number you get it from our BitBot assistant, so I can locate the email quicker.

• terinjokes
    terinjokes
    Community Member
    Options

@saad It's "[#NTT-35498-685]"

• saad
    Options

Thanks. I spotted a few errors in the sync log and I responded to your email. Looking forward to getting your devices syncing again. :)

• JENZ
    JENZ
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Saad,

I have Little Snitch installed on the Mac. Have been using it for years. Is there a rule I should add in there?
    On the Android devices...
    One is an Amazon Fire. It has no firewall software installed on it. Such software typically requires a rooted device, which this is not.

The other is a Samsung tablet. Due to this issue, at some point I set the tablet up to use folder sync. I would then sync the 1P datastore to the tablet, and it would sync with that. I have no been able to find out to reset the sync to use WiFi sync instead of folder sync. Please advise.

I have the 1P WiFi sync preferences panel open whilst running these tests.

• saad
    Options

I think configuring Little Snitch to allow incoming and outgoing connections for 1Password is sufficient to get Wi-Fi sync working. But before we do that, we should find out if Little Snitch is actually the cause for this issue.

As a quick test to see if this is the case, would you mind disabling Little Snitch and verify if Wi-Fi sync works between your Android and Mac? If this problem continues to happen when Little Snitch is not running, we can switch our focus elsewhere in the diagnostic report and see if there is anything unusual going on there.

Thanks.

• JENZ
    JENZ
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Saad,
    Even with Little Snitch disabled, the issue occurs.
    What's next?
    (BTW, I am now running 6.0.1 on the Mac.)

• peri
    Options

Hi @JENZ. Thanks for checking that. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we can take a look at the Mac side of things, to see what may be going on there. Thanks!

• JENZ
    JENZ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Peri,
    Report sent.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan

• peri
    Options

Thanks! We'll have a look and get back to you. :)

This discussion has been closed.