Purchased 1Password from AgileBits web site. How, or where, do I get the "iCloud Kit"?

Options
DarbyN
DarbyN
Community Member

Mac 10.10.5 iPhone 9.2 (13C75) 1Password purchased on AgileBits site.
When working through the troubleshooting steps I get to the "iCloud Kit" request and I either don't have it and if I do I don't know where to find it.

I want to be able to use both platforms to access the password protected apps which I'm not able to currently do and that sort-of defeats the purpose of mobile access.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Trouble shooting says I need the iCloud kit

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

@DarbyN - Apple does not allow access to iCloud for syncing for any application that they do not sell from one of their own App Stores. Since your copy came from the AgileBits web store, you will not have access to iCloud for that purpose. Dropbox is available on all versions, though, and it is equally secure as iCloud. Your security depends on the encryption of your data and your strong master password, not in any way on where the data are stored.

If you want to switch to the Mac App Store version anyway, you can get a refund from AgileBits if you bought your license within the last 30 days. You would then be able to buy another license from the Mac App Store. Someone from AgileBits will be along soon and check their records to see if you qualify for the refund.

Since your question is about the Mac version, I have moved this thread to that section of the forum.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DarbyN,

I see it has been more than 30 days since your AgileBits Store purchase, so I can't offer you a refund, but I can offer you some options.

I will echo hawkmoth's recommendation of Dropbox sync, which works just as well as iCloud sync. You can also use Wi-Fi sync.

As of today, we've begun beta testing iCloud Sync in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac. It wasn't possible before (which is why hawkmoth said that it wasn't), but Apple has just recently opened up the CloudKit APIs we use for iCloud syncing. As it's brand new, we're still experimenting with it, but we're cautiously optimistic that it may make it into a stable release in the new year.

I hope this helps! If you run into any trouble with Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync, let us know and we'll be happy to help you work through it. :)

• DarbyN
    DarbyN
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply Vee, I'm happy with 1Password that is on my desktop, my problem is getting both platforms to work with each other and after reviewing the Drop Box link that looks like the way to go. I undoubtably have more questions even though the link seems straight forward . Before I start I do have a couple of questions so I can get off on the right foot.

1. I currently have the apps 1Password and Dropbox on both the iPhone and the Mac. The iPhone and Mac both currently have the Dropbox app in the 1Password app.
    2. The passwords for Dropbox are different.
    3. When I plug the iPhone into the Mac the pictures show up in the Dropbox app on the Mac.
    4. What is supposed to happen when I sync 1Password between the 2? What is supposed to happen with the different passwords?
    5. Should I delete the Dropbox app from the iPhone before I sync?
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @DarbyN,

Unfortunately I have questions about your questions but rest assured, we will get there and get everything working for you!

1. When you say "The iPhone and Mac both currently have the Dropbox app in the 1Password app." Are you referring to the Sync tab in 1Password's preferences?
    2. Dropbox is a complete separate service to 1Password but one we can leverage for syncing. The reason I say that is because there is your Dropbox password and then there is your vault's password. When you say "The passwords for Dropbox are different." do you mean that the Master Password you use to unlock 1Password is different depending on what device we're talking about?
    3. I'm not sure what you might be referring to here (sorry). I know Dropbox well enough for syncing but told them to leave me alone for some of their other features such as copying photos and screenshots from my Mac or iOS device to Dropbox. Is this what you're talking about here?
    4. When you sync two copies of 1Password, regardless if it's over Dropbox, iCloud or even Wi-Fi Sync we want things to be consistent. Allowing for bugs, Master Password changes should synchronise and your vault's contents should synchronise. If you're syncing two very separate vaults for the first time though I would recommend changing the Master Password in one or more locations so that you don't worry about this right at the start. Make it so that all the copies of 1Password use the same Master Password and then set up sync.
    5. You will want to keep the Dropbox iOS app on your iOS devices. When it is present 1Password for iOS will interact with it to gain authorisation to access your Dropbox account. I've seen issues trying to do this in a web interface while if the Dropbox iOS app is present I've yet to see it fail.

Once we understand a bit better I'm sure we'll be able to guide you forward :smile:

• DarbyN
    DarbyN
    Community Member
    Options

Apologies for not getting back sooner.
    1. On the Mac: 1PW Preferences shows the primary sync using Drop Box. On the phone 1PW shows the primary sync as iCloud.
    2. This answer is long. I changed the password on the Mac to a simple one because I was never able to get it entered correctly on the iPhone. After changing the Mac to a short password I then changed the phone's password to use the "touch" password. I then went in to the Mac and changed the password for Drop Box to a short one I could enter on the phone and changed the phone's password to the mac's password. The password on the mac and the password on the phone are now the same. I manually changed them both to be the same as I had to do with Drop Box.
    3. Using the USB on the mac and plugging the cord into the phone. I then clicked the phone icon that appeared in the iTunes app and the pictures populated into the mac.
    4. and are much the same issue. I believe I have a better handle on what is going on it's my bad.

After much trying to make clear answers for your requests it looks like the issue maybe the Primary Sync on the Mac is set up to use Drop Box for syncing and the Phone is set up to use the cloud and that may, may be a reason for the phone seemingly not working the way I think it should. Which is: After having downloading 1PW onto my phone and physically connecting one device to the other all the information that is on the mac should copy to the phone. Logins and passwords should be the same on both devices so they may be accessed by either device.

I hope this isn't FUBAR and I will be able to reuse the original password for both devices. I also hope these explanations made sense. It would have been a lot easier if I had been able to copy/make screenshots so you can see exactly what I tried to describe!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for writing back, @DarbyN.

I think you are exactly correct. If you are syncing to two different sources, then the data will not be in sync.

We just released an update to 1Password for Mac which will allow you to sync with iCloud on your Mac as well. (It wasn't possible before, but Apple made some changes that allow us to sync with iCloud in the version of 1Password from our website now. Yay!)

If you update to 1Password 6…

…then you should then have the option to sync with iCloud as shown in the User Guide:

1Password for Mac: Sync with iCloud

Once you are syncing with iCloud everywhere, the data should be in sync and stay in sync. But let me know if you are still having trouble even after syncing with iCloud on your Mac and your iOS devices.

• DarbyN
    DarbyN
    Community Member
    Options

I'm unable to find my sync information on my iPhone again. The last time I found it showed iCloud was being used to sync and I couldn't get it to change to drop box to match what is on my iMac. I was going to change my iMac to iCloud (primary vault) except when I highlighted iCloud I got a window that said "Disabling Sync" and 1Password will no longer sync with dropbox.

When I use the USB on the iMac to sync with the iPhone it seems to work because the photos are being put into Drop Box.

I think that is the way it is supposed to work.

Here's the history of 1PW on this end. I used the trial period and liked it enough to purchase it then got the iPhone. I downloaded the app from the app store and at the same time downloaded DB.

I thought because I already had 1PW on my Mac the first time I plugged the phone in the information from 1PW would populate the then empty 1PW on the phone.

That didn't happen and now it doesn't look like it ever was meant to. After finding that out I chose to use the DB app to see if there would be a way I would be able to use the same apps.

So far I have had to change the master password to a much simpler one so I can open both devices and change the DB password on the Mac and manually input it on the phone so I could have one app that works on both devices.

Simply put: The 2 devices aren't talking to each other right. I have to manually input the app information. The manually input info generates different passwords. I have several accounts with banks and credit cards that I want to be able to use both devices for however that is not possible as things currently stand.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

When I use the USB on the iMac to sync with the iPhone it seems to work because the photos are being put into Drop Box.
    I think that is the way it is supposed to work.

@DarbyN: Sorry for the confusion! You're half right. What you're referring to is syncing photos from your iPhone to your Mac (which then end up in your Dropbox folder there, it sounds like). But this is very different from using Dropbox directly to sync your 1Password data.

1Password data is not transferred through iTunes using USB; rather, it sends changes directly to Dropbox, which Dropbox then sends over the internet to your other devices. So what you need to do on each device is configure 1Password in this fashion, so that each is using the same vault in Dropbox:

1. On your Mac, select Dropbox Sync in 1Password Preferences > Sync, using the dropdown menu to the right of your vault.
    2. Note the path listed for your vault there (typically something like Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault)
    3. Let Dropbox finish syncing your data (you'll see the icon at the top in the menu bar stop animating).
    4. On your iPhone, setup Dropbox Sync in 1Password Settings > Sync > Start Syncing and choose the same vault 1Password is syncing to on your Mac.
    5. You may be warned that there is a vault mismatch. Great! Since you're trying to use the same vault on both devices, just tap More Info and then Merge to combine them permanently.
    6. Let it finish syncing, and both your Mac and iPhone will continue to sync changes to each other via Dropbox.

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out, or if you have any questions! :)

• DarbyN
    DarbyN
    Community Member
    Options

How will the 2 devices handle the master password? What will happen if I change the master password on the Mac? Should I reset that master back to my original before I start? Currently they both use a simple password.

• Hi @DarbyN,

That's a great question. There are two ways of updating the Master Password on the devices:

Method 1: Manual approach

You can simply go into Preferences on both devices and use the Change Master Password button under Security. Simple enough.

Method 2: Master Password Syncing

If on the first device, you change the Master Password, it'll push this new Master Password up to your sync vault on iCloud.

On the second device you can unlock using the old password. Lock again. And unlock with the new Master Password. When doing this you'll notice a pause during the unlock with the new Master Password as it verifies it, then it will change it locally. From then on you should only be able to unlock with the new password.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• DarbyN
    DarbyN
    Community Member
    Options

Both devices now are using drop box to sync and the information has migrated from the Mac to the iPhone. Yippee!

Now I have another issue. The passwords on the Mac continue to work as they should. However, all the passwords on the iPhone don't.

When I try to launch some of the logins from the phone I get a window that wants me to change my password right away and on some the app loads with the login but the password doesn't and this differs from the Mac where both login and password load at the same time.

I also am showing there are 2 DropBox logins. What is required to remove one of them and how do I decide which one, or should I just leave them the way they are?

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @darbyn,

There are a few reasons for this. Now that you've synced the two devices you probably have some duplicates. You will have to go through and ascertain which is the item that has the incorrect or most out of date information.

I wonder if your issue with some sites filling is the same thing, maybe you have multiple copies of a login, but one is for the mobile site that you would see on iOS, and the other is for the regular site you'd see on Mac.

• DarbyN
    DarbyN
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I checked the dates Drop Box was showing and trashed the older one. A search of the "inbox" on both devices show only one login for each site and so on to the next issue.

When on the Mac and using 1PW after I log in to my financial accounts and go to the password screen to get the password 1PW generated I have to click the 1PW icon located in my Mac menu located at the top of me desk top but when I go to my bank, for instance, and on the phone select it from the 1PW log in list there I haven't been able to get the password like I do when I'm on the Mac.

Is this an issue with 1PW on the Mac that isn't populating both the login and password that carried over when they, the Mac and iPhone, were synced?

The process is: Open 1PW - double click the account - this opens the account and fills in the login - the password screen then shows up and the box for the password is blank - I click the 1PW icon (located in the Mac menu) - a menu drops down with the account highlighted in blue - I click it, the password box fills - the program loads and I'm in.

When I use the iPhone I get to the part where on the Mac I click the 1PW icon to fill in the password and that's all the farther I get. If there is something like the Mac's 1PW icon I haven't been able to find it!

What am I supposed to look for and what is it supposed to look like?

I'm stuck.

• DarbyN
    DarbyN
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. I checked the password on the Mac and iPhone they are the same here.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @DarbyN,

Please stay optimistic as it sounds like you've made a lot of progress since I first posted with my questions and my colleagues have been busy helping and I do believe you're very close.

iOS is designed to be quite restrictive in a bid to keep the device as secure as possible. So it wasn't until iOS 8 that we got iOS Extensions and the ability for 1Password to interact with the likes of Safari. I believe the section of our iOS user guide titled Extension will help answer your query here as it will describe how you can access the 1Password iOS Safari Extension by way of the iOS Share menu. I think this will help but if I'm wrong for any reason at all please do let us know.

• DarbyN
    DarbyN
    Community Member
    Options

The current issue is getting into apps that have a second window where there is a picture that offers the chance to verify the login was correct.
    It is on this "second" screen where I'm asked for the password.

On my Mac I manually type in my login and get sent to a second screen where I'm shown a picture to make sure I entered my login correctly. It's on that second 'verifying" screen where I'm asked for the password. By clicking on the 1PW icon always displayed on the desktop in the Mac menu I'm able to get the password populated and the app opens.

That doesn't seem to be a feature that's available on the iPhone.

My next trial is to change how I get to the app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

The current issue is getting into apps that have a second window where there is a picture that offers the chance to verify the login was correct.
    It is on this "second" screen where I'm asked for the password.

@DarbyN: If I understand correctly, there's a second page (after the one with the username) where it asks for the password. Is that correct? If so, often you can use your existing login item for the site to fill, simply by pressing ⌘ \ on your Mac — no need to click anything! Otherwise, they may be different enough that you'll need to save a separate login item for each step. Just follow this guide to set that up:

Saving a multi-page login

However, on the iPhone, obviously we can't use keyboard shortcuts. But you can tap the 'key' icon in 1Browser (or open the 1Password extension in Safari) to select the login to fill it on the second page:

1Password for iOS: Filling in 1Browser

1Password iOS Extension: Filling in Safari

1Password won't do this automatically; rather, we only want 1Password to fill your sensitive data on a new page when you tell it to, as a precaution against phishing attacks and, well...we also don't want it to be a nuisance if you're not ready to login immediately. After all, I'm at an airport right now, and I don't want someone looking over my shoulder to see my bank information because 1Password logged me in prematurely. ;)

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions — and the URL if you're having trouble with a specific site! :)

This discussion has been closed.