1Password for iPhone

Options
1Sarah
1Sarah
Community Member
edited January 2016 in iOS

I'm completely in awe that because my app was deleted from my phone I've lost everything. My phone was plugged in to do a backup, unfortunately it didn't backup. I've lost my app 1Password, when I redownloaded it, I quickly found out I lost EVERYTHING! I'm sorry but this app should be like any other if you have it, you have it. Whether it's deleted or not you should simply be able to sign back in. I don't have 1Password on my computer, so here I am sitting with none of the info that I've been storing on this app for a really long time. I've also told everyone I know how amazing this app is and why they must have it. I truly wish I hadn't told them that, if they are ever in this situation then I will feel absolutely horrible.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @1Sarah,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry to hear you've been bitten by only having a single copy of your 1Password data. This is a consequence of one of the core principals of 1Password though, and is unlikely to change: you control your data, not AgileBits.

We give you the option to sync your data to Dropbox, iCloud, or a computer over WiFi. We also include a built-in backup utility. You can read about these options here:

Sync | 1Password for iOS

Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS)

But, ultimately, that is what these are: options. We do not force anyone to store their data anywhere they are not comfortable storing it. By default all 1Password data is stored only on the device it is created on. Unless using 1Password for Teams, it is never stored with us.

We'd highly recommend setting up one of the sync options, in addition to periodically setting up backups, but it is your choice to do that, or not.

That said, it is possible that a device backup may contain your 1Password data. Apple has a guide to restoring device backups available here:

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

We have heard reports from customers that sometimes it is necessary to restore the device backup twice before all data is restored. That may be worth a shot if you had not backed up or synced 1Password otherwise.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• 1Sarah
    1Sarah
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Thank you for your smug response I was "safely" controlling my data by saving it on 1Password. I'm not asking AgileBits to do anything with my data. I merely think if you have an app that gets deleted you are able to log back into that app. Clearly not the case! When I signed up for 1Password I wasn't informed that by the app being removed your data is forever lost! However lesson learned and thank you Ben!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

If you delete any application from an iOS device, all of its data goes with it. This is not unique to 1Password. It's a big reason to be sure you back up your device and your data.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2016
    Options

hawkmoth is correct. This is true of any app. If you uninstall and reinstall an app, and still have your data, it is because they are automatically syncing your data to iCloud (or their own servers, in cases of services like Evernote et al). We do not do that without your prompting.

I'm sorry if you took my response as smug, I was just trying to explain why this is as it is, and how and what options we give you to avoid issues like this.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.