Secure Notes and Documents won't load

Options
samtut
samtut
Community Member

I have used 1Password for a number of years and have shared a vault with my wife by using Dropbox to synch the data. Since that feature is no longer supported I successfully signed up for 1Password for teams and migrated all of the data from my personal vault to the Everyone vault which I share with my wife. I am able to access all of my Logins and Credit Cards. However, while I can access the names of all of the items in my Secure Notes folder I cannot open any of the attachments. The same is true for the items in the Documents folder. When I click on any of the items in either folder in order to open the document I get the message "unable to load document."

Any suggestions on how to successfully load these documents which are either in jpg or pdf format?

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @samtut,

We don't have attachments in Teams, we only have Documents. If you moved an item with attachments over to Teams, it will convert the attachment to a Document which is its own item type.

I mention that because not only are they named different and displayed differently, they are also uploaded differently. So if you create a Document on computerA, the Document item will be created and synced. Meaning that computerB will see the Document. However, the actual file itself is uploaded separately. So if there was a problem with uploading it computerB will see the item but not be able to download it.

So, I wonder if you can view your Documents on the computer that created them (the computer that originally moved the item with the attachments over)?

• samtut
    samtut
    Community Member
    Options

Nathan -

Thanks for your response... don't know how to explain it but this AM I can view the documents... and who cares why as long as it works :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@natanvf Can you please add documents to the normal 1password too? Because I love the funtion. In my dropbox Vault I always attach documents to a secure note witch makes it well more complacted.

• @samtut Well that's good to hear! Cheers to it being happy.

@ntimo I suspect this will come in the future, but I don't have any specific timelines to provide on it. The structure of 1Password is heading toward that of Teams in general, which means some of the features there, like Documents, will be added to the standalone versions of 1Password as well. There are some features, of course, that won't be the same across both. It's good to keep that in mind. :wink:

• It will be really tough to add Documents in non-Teams vaults. This is because the feature relies on central storage that can only be provided by the Teams server.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem why? You could store the data in dropbox?

• roustem
    edited January 2016
    Options

@ntimo,

We are not able to handle the files in Dropbox as something that is guaranteed to remain there. It is pretty easy to delete data from Dropbox by accident or by mistake and it happens all the time. Because of that, we do not treat Dropbox folders as a "source of truth" and always try to sync the entire contents of the Dropbox folder to all devices. That causes issues on its own because Dropbox throttles clients that try to download too much data in a short period of time. When the client is throttled, the sync could be broken for hours.

Having a guaranteed document storage provided by the Teams server allows us to have a single guaranteed source and we don't have to always download all documents to all client devices. It is also makes it trivial to share document between multiple users by simply sharing the encryption key of the document.

• Thanks for asking, @ntimo. On the surface it appears as if storing the documents on Dropbox would work just fine. The devil is in the details. Let me explain :)

First of all, as you mentioned above, 1Password already does support attachments so in many ways we already do what you're asking for. Documents achieve the same goal but go about things in a different way. For attachments, we download them all in full onto each device during the initial sync. This is done on purpose because we assume that the remote copy can disappear at any moment.

With Documents we designed things differently. Documents are downloaded on demand when the user tries to view them. This is really nice as it saves a lot of bandwidth so clients can finish syncing much faster. The reason we can do this is we control the remote side so we know the data won't disappear unexpectedly.

In theory we could invest time into redesigning Documents so they could work in both worlds, but since we already have attachments, it doesn't seem like a good use of time. It would also be confusing to have both Documents and Attachments within a single UI. This reminds me of the Tags vs Folders discussions we used to have and it's one of the reasons we eventually settled on "just" having Tags in Teams :)

Oh, something else I should add is we have several interesting ideas for Documents that we want to play with going forward. By keeping this design more focused, we have greater freedom to experiment.

I hope that helps shed some light on why we are keeping Documents and Attachments separate from one another.

This discussion has been closed.