How can I disable the Secure Input setting so use TextExpander within 1Password?

Options
kevin0rise
kevin0rise
Community Member

I've got some TextExpander snippets I use when setting up passwords (e.g., my email address). But 1Password's SecureInput has disabled Text Expander. How can I turn off Secure Input for non-secure fields, like username?

thanks.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How can I disable the Secure Input setting so use TextExpander within 1Password?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

This isn't possible at present. AgileBits are, I believe, experimenting to decide what the most common use situation is, and whether options to turn it off would be a good idea.

• Thanks for the answer danco.

@kevin0rise , before we would implement something like that, and while we trust TextExpander to do the correct thing, we need to be very careful another app could not access your 1Password data when you do not want it to. We want to keep your data safe, be it a password or other information.

Thank you for taking the time to write in with this request. Rest assured we will consider it; we just need to make sure features that would affect the security of your data remain secure.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• kevin0rise
    kevin0rise
    Community Member
    Options

I get the security aspect. But how about making it an option - leave it enabled by default, but an advanced user can disable it (and then they assume the risks).

• Hi @kevin0rise,

Thanks for the suggestion. By itself, it seems like an obvious solution. However, there are a couple of aspects of adding a checkbox that we must carefully consider. Each checkbox added increases complexity, as it's another choice the customer has to make to use the software, so we have to carefully consider whether giving a choice is in the best interests of our customers and the usability of 1Password. We also need to make sure that each customer understands the choice they are making when turning it off.

So, this is not saying "no, we'll never do it," but rather that we have to take the time to evaluate the options and whether adding a preference for this is the best solution for those that want to turn it off, and those that do not.

Thank you so much for your request and for the additional suggestion. Feedback directly from our customers is invaluable and we sincerely appreciate it!

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.