WISH LIST: Drag and drop stored attachments onto other apps

Options
pentool
pentool
Community Member

I have a couple of software licenses stored in 1PW as an attachment. Some software comes with an actual license file as opposed to serial number. It's a great feature that I can store attachments in 1PW in the Software License section, but it's not possible to drag-and-drop the license file directly from 1PW onto the other program. It seems that first I have to drag the attachment out to, say, the Desktop, and then drag the file from the Desktop onto the app.

Would be nice if it would be possible to drag the attachments directly onto the other apps from 1PW and skip the immediate step.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: folder

Comments

• Hi pentool,

The answer to this question is determined by how "Drag & Drop" works on the Mac. There are basically two ways to drag files on the Mac. The first way is to say "Here is the path to a file, do you accept a drop of it?" The second way is to say "Here is the name of a file which does not yet exist, but I promise to make it if you accept a drop of it. Do you accept drop? And if so, where would you like me to create it?"

The first method is really great if you are dragging files that already exist.
    The second method (the "files promise" method) is how you drag files which do not yet exist.

1Password uses the "files promise" method when dragging an attachment to the Finder. This is because the attachment is still encrypted on disk at the start of the drag -- the decrypted file does not exist at first. We need to decrypt the attachment in order to complete the drag, and that can take an unspecified amount of time depending on the size of the attachment.

Though the first method of Drag & Drop is common when dragging files from the Finder, and easy to implement, it's the responsibility of software developers to accept both kinds of drops if they want to receive drops from applications like 1Password.

So, contact the developer of the destination app and ask if they can add support for "files promise" Drag & Drop. And if they need help, we will be more than willing to work with them to make sure our apps work together.

• pentool
    pentool
    Community Member
    Options

Great explanation! Makes sense now. Thanks!

• Happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.