Feature Request: File attachments in iOS apps

13»

Comments

• I was wondering if anybody knows if there is any way that the file attachments associated with items/accounts on the PC can be accessed via one's iPhone. It looks to me like there is no way to do this but I thought I'd just ask in case I'm missing something. If it is the case that these attachments cannot be accessed, I'm pretty disappointed!

Thanks,
    David
  • davidf wrote:

I was wondering if anybody knows if there is any way that the file attachments associated with items/accounts on the PC can be accessed via one's iPhone. It looks to me like there is no way to do this but I thought I'd just ask in case I'm missing something. If it is the case that these attachments cannot be accessed, I'm pretty disappointed!

Thanks,
    David

Hello David and welcome to the Forums!

At this time, files are not synched to 1P's iOS platforms. I do not know all the underlying reasons for this, but I am sure that AB knows people would like the functionality and will add it when, and if, it is practicle and safe from a software coding standpoint.

Following is a post from AB's chief security guru, Jeff Goldberg. Please give it a quick look for more information: Incomplete Sync Maybe (no inside data)

One of Jeff's quotes:

There are a few things that we specifically don't sync to iOS. These are Identities (since there is no way to make use of these on iOS) and file attachments.We are looking at ways to sync attachments without presenting users with nasty surprises about their monthly data use on their phones.

I hope I answered your question. Please let me know if you have any addtional comments or concerns.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Wow. Just merged 4 threads into this one. I think it is safe to say that this is a popular feature request. :-)

We have been hard at work with Dropbox syncing, Chrome support, Firefox 4 support, Lion support, a new data format, and more. This has not been forgotten, but I can't give an ETA at the moment.

Thanks for the continued feedback here!
  • is it possible that syncing file attachments between windows version and ipad version will be included soon - or is there a specific IOS related reason why this is difficult and/or impossible?
  • Yet another vote for this feature.

I understand some of the main arguments are band-width and file types. I would be happy right now if the synch was limited to pictures (jpegs and other well-known iOS graphic types). This would allow passport pix, driver's licenses, etc. to work. From reading this forum, those appear to be the most desired items.
  • percheron
    percheron
    Community Member
    brenty wrote:

Agreed. Thanks for the feedback, rbrakes! And welcome to the forums! :)

Having that kind of granular control would be nice, but it would also be a pain to manage. I spend way too much time managing what sync's to my iPhone in general (music, apps, etc.) While having the option is nice, the idea of adding another layer to sync management and actually using it makes me nauseous. I am confident that we won't do it until we figure out how to do it just right. ;)

File attachments on iOS have been requested for years. Vague commitment to the idea has been the only answer up to now. Agile's engineers should have been able to come up with a solution by now.

Evernote provides an easy granularity of what gets cached on the iOS device and seems to handle attachments supported by the OS just fine.

SplashID has supported attachments for quite some time, as well, and the solution is a perfectly good one.

"Naseous"? There are no layers to sync mgt currently, other than turning it on. I strongly disagree that granular control is a pain to manage. There is nothing wrong with implementing an "advanced" option to turn granular syncing on/off, if you want to limit the exposure of the feature.

I do agree that a solution needs to be good, but at this point, how much more time does Agile need, when proven solutions (e.g., Evernote and SplashID) have been around for years now?

The world is going (already has gone?!) mobile, and 1Password needs to have more focus on extending it's feature set to mobile platforms.
This discussion has been closed.