How do I *safely* upgrade from OSX 3.8.21 to latest version? Worried about data loss!

I have been using 3.8.21 (build 32009) and would like to upgrade to the latest version of 1Password for OSX.

I originally purchased a 1Password 3 license for both OSX and Windows. I no longer require any support on Windows; only OSX.

My greatest concern is losing all of my valuable, hard-earned credentials data. Because I haven't been able to locate a smooth, in-app upgrade flow the only option available seems to be a fresh local install, which I am not ready to attempt without assurances about that data.

Please advise, and take my money!

1Password Version: 3.8.21
Extension Version: 3.9.21.90
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox?
Referrer: kb:upgrade-ios, kb-search:how to upgrade, kb:upgrade-license

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @theeatenpath,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling a little bit stressed out about this upgrade. Don't worry, we're here to help and ensure that the upgrade process is as painless as possible.

We have an article in our support pages that will walk you through the process of upgrading: Upgrade 1Password for Mac from 1Password 3. It includes making sure that you've got a fresh new backup, and safely removing the 1Password 3 browser extensions. It's important to note that your data is stored in a separate location from the app, so dragging 1Password 3 to the Trash won't affect your data. Also, if you've got your data synced to Dropbox, there's an extra layer of protection there too.

The instructions should get you all sorted out, but if you have any questions, please let me know where things stopped making sense, and we'll work forward from there.

As for taking your money, when you do go to purchase a new license, make sure you do so through our upgrade page. By entering your existing license information in the field on the page, you'll get a nice discount on your new license. :)

• theeatenpath
    theeatenpath
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

Thanks for the quick reponse!

Unfortunately, I'm blocked on following the documented instructions to uninstall the v3 Chrome Extension.

Step 2.5 is "Click the + button in the upper right hand corner." When click the + button, nothing happens.

Can you please help me debug and get through this step?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @theeatenpath,

I'd be happy to work with you here. First, let's try a different website. Perhaps there is a weird issue with the webpage that you chose to save a new item on. The key here is we want to kickstart the extension and ensure that you don't have any data that hasn't fully synced to the main app.

If 1Password is still misbehaving, we can take a closer look at your system and determine if you have any unsaved data:

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac-3.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• theeatenpath
    theeatenpath
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

After failing to get unblocked with other web sites, I've generated and submitted the report with a link to this thread.
    My support number is #GSH-89866-944

Thank you! I'm looking forward to next steps.

• rob
    rob
    edited January 2016

Hi, @theeatenpath.

I got your Diagnostics Report, so thanks for sending that in! It's showing me that your information is fully synced between the main app and the extensions, so you can safely skip the remainder of the steps in that tutorial and go straight to the Remove the old 1Password 3 browser extension step.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with along the way! :)

• theeatenpath
    theeatenpath
    Community Member

Hi Rob and Megan,

Thanks so much for getting me over that hurdle. I've successfully uninstalled the extensions, re-installed the latest version of the OSX app, installed the latest version of the extension, and have everything running smoothly!

There's just one more snag: When I try to use the license update page that Megan linked, I hit the following message:

Can you please advise on the best way for me to upgrade from trial mode to paid mode?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@theeatenpath: Sorry for the confusion...but I think this might be the best kind. It appears that your existing license is valid for 1Password 4-6 in addition to 1Password 3. I've resent your license information via email. Just follow the instructions there to register 1Password and you should be all set. Be sure if you have any other questions! :)

• theeatenpath
    theeatenpath
    Community Member

Thank you, brenty! It seems like everything's working fine. I just have one more question:

I see a file in my Dropbox named "1PasswordWindows7.agilekeychain". Since I am no longer using 1Password for windows, may I safely delete this file locally?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@theeatenpath: No problem! And that's a great question. Before deleting anything, I would double-check that it isn't something you still need (or might want in the future). Double-click it to open it in 1Password (you can remove it later if needed using the 1Password menu), and then give its contents a once-over. Just to be sure. After all, you can name a vault anything (e.g. Blackmail pictures of Rob.agilekeychain), and it doesn't necessarily reflect what's inside it. ;)

• theeatenpath
    theeatenpath
    Community Member

Thanks! Consider this request for support resolved.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @theeatenpath,

Whoo! I'm so glad to hear that you're all sorted out - thanks for letting us know.

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.