How do I set up a team with team members who have public, non-private domain emails? (i.e. gmail)

kmah22
kmah22
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Business and Teams

I have team members who use public domain emails, non-private. Teams allows me to invite them, but not add their domain (i.e. gmail, yahoo, etc.) to the allowed domains list. Is this possible? Hopefully. If not, it would be helpful to not allow invites to public email domains.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:team public domain email

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have team members who use public domain emails, non-private. Teams allows me to invite them, but not add their domain (i.e. gmail, yahoo, etc.) to the allowed domains list. Is this possible? Hopefully. If not, it would be helpful to not allow invites to public email domains.

@kmah22: You really, really don't want to do that. You can invite anyone with a valid email address:

But adding the domain yahoo.com here would allow anyone with a Yahoo email account to join your team:

When the domain is your own, you can gate access to email accounts there. But in cases of a domain you don't own/control (e.g. yahoo.com, gmail.com, outlook.com, etc.), it's best to invite by individual email address. I hope this helps! :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

We (Our personal and wife's biz team) don't use (our specific/private domains) for our logins we all use public domain as in a gmail, yahoo etc. on both teams. Most of the individuals are freelancers for the Mrs.

As I understrand it you would not wish to add the gmail or yahoo domain to the allowed list. Thats basically saying everyone whom has this domain email can sign up to your team if they know the secret url without a user specific invite that you manually sent out. Though I suspect they would still be pending and need manual approval?

Teams was setup to allow mixing of domain names in my understanding. After all thats why the domain list is present to begin with. The allowed list allows you to share the sign up link with those using the same domain and allows you to pass it around say during a 30 day sign up window. After 30 days you would remove the domain or possibly leave it enabled, so new hires access to 1Password is further restricted and needing a manual invite. Again your choice of scenarios.

I see the domains as an option so that @ xyz.com and @ xyz-international.com can easily sign up for one team account. You as the admin would need to make the choice as to allow invites to a specific user outside the specific domain. I don't see any option to block specific domains, or even public ones. Which could be a very valid option for some admins.

What about the specific use case where you had a consultant and needed to invite them ? Rather than see an option you had to disable to send the invite, and then re enable once the invite is done with.

Hypothetical idea for this discussion : Why not simply have a big red warning if trying to invite someone outside the team domain. Personally I think this would be safer than having to remember to turn on a feature after a temporary removal.

Just my 2 ¢ on how I am seeing things from my/our personal use of teams.

Edit : Clarification or remarks, above.

• kmah22
    kmah22
    Community Member

@brenty @thightower Ah got it! Thank you both for such quick and thorough replies. I didn't understand the domain function. Thanks!

• rob
    rob
    edited February 2016

Glad that helped, @kmah22!

This discussion has been closed.