Duplicate Entries, Changes Not Updating and Other Questions

Options

Hi, folks.

Loving the idea of using 1Passport for Families. Count me as another vote hoping the price is reasonable. I've been using the Teams beta for a couple of weeks and have come across some issues, some of which I'm sure, are user errors that I hope you can clarify.

When All Vaults is selected, I see double the entries for quite a few items, presumably items in my Primary Vault and in the Everyone Vault I share with my wife. I suspect if I were to add another instance of an entry to yet another vault, I'd see a third entry, correct? Is there any way around this or do you just focus on your own vault?

An interesting note with the duplicates, they're not updating. I added extra information to my daughter's passport in the Primary Vault and noticed it didn't update in any of the other vaults; shouldn't it update across each vault?

All Vaults seems to be the default vault when you start up the app (I'm using Mac version 6.0.1 from App Store as well as iPhone and iPad). I couldn't find a preference that allowed me to choose any other vault as the default when launched (such My Vault or Primary).

Having both a Primary Vault and Your Vault seems a bit redundant; aren't they one and the same and isn't there a way to combine the two? I believe I saw instructions to do this in this forum but wanted to be sure it wouldn't be an issue to revert to a pre-Team environment if, say, the cost for the Families edition is too high.

In the app at least, I can re-organize the categories in the Primary Vault, sorting the alphabetically (or however you want). However, I can't do the same in My Vault or the Everyone Vault.

Lastly, when setting up my wife, I must have done something wrong as she not only has her own vault (Jennifer) but also has the Everyone and Primary vaults. Oddly, she also has Your Vault which is really my vault and my passwords. It seems strange that she'd have access to my vault. In turn, I have access to her vault (Jennifer) in my application. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. My 1Password syncs to Dropbox while hers syncs to iCloud.

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox/iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Loving the idea of using 1Passport for Families. Count me as another vote hoping the price is reasonable. I've been using the Teams beta for a couple of weeks and have come across some issues, some of which I'm sure, are user errors that I hope you can clarify.

@mikecharbonneau: This is something we're really excited about too. I think you'll be happy with what we come up with. ;)

When All Vaults is selected, I see double the entries for quite a few items, presumably items in my Primary Vault and in the Everyone Vault I share with my wife. I suspect if I were to add another instance of an entry to yet another vault, I'd see a third entry, correct? Is there any way around this or do you just focus on your own vault?

Ah, sorry for the confusion! If you're anything like me and you had to keep multiple copies of logins in different vaults for sharing or accessibility in the pre-1Password for Teams world. And before All Vaults, it was often simpler to maintain a duplicate copy in a separate vault to avoid having to switch as frequently.

An interesting note with the duplicates, they're not updating. I added extra information to my daughter's passport in the Primary Vault and noticed it didn't update in any of the other vaults; shouldn't it update across each vault?

No. Duplicated data will not update. Like any document you copy on your Mac, changes made in one will not be reflected in the other(s). Each of these separate items are truly separate. Information you want to share between yourself and your family members (like a passport) should be in the "Everyone" vault (or a custom vault that is shared with only those you want to give access to it). All Vaults makes it so we don't need to necessarily know which vault something is in when searching though. :)

All Vaults seems to be the default vault when you start up the app (I'm using Mac version 6.0.1 from App Store as well as iPhone and iPad). I couldn't find a preference that allowed me to choose any other vault as the default when launched (such My Vault or Primary).

Correct. This is something we're looking at improving in a few ways though, as All Vaults is a brand new feature in version 6. It sounds like you'd prefer to be able to specify which vault opens by default though (or perhaps have it remember the last used). Let me know and I'll add your vote! :pirate:

Having both a Primary Vault and Your Vault seems a bit redundant; aren't they one and the same and isn't there a way to combine the two? I believe I saw instructions to do this in this forum but wanted to be sure it wouldn't be an issue to revert to a pre-Team environment if, say, the cost for the Families edition is too high.

They are redundant, and this is only because you have (a) pre-1Password for Teams vault(s). In a 1Password for Teams-only scenario, "Your Vault" would be the primary. But during the beta I think it's okay to straddle the two worlds while deciding which will ultimately work best for you. It sounds like that will be 1Password for Teams, but there's no need to decide now — at least until we've announced pricing. ;)

In the app at least, I can re-organize the categories in the Primary Vault, sorting the alphabetically (or however you want). However, I can't do the same in My Vault or the Everyone Vault.

Correct. 1Password for Teams has static categories, because this isn't something that the website supports currently (and it would be confusing to reorder them in the app and not have the website reflect this. It may be something we're able to add in the future though.

Lastly, when setting up my wife, I must have done something wrong as she not only has her own vault (Jennifer) but also has the Everyone and Primary vaults. Oddly, she also has Your Vault which is really my vault and my passwords. It seems strange that she'd have access to my vault. In turn, I have access to her vault (Jennifer) in my application. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. My 1Password syncs to Dropbox while hers syncs to iCloud.

To be clear, if she had an existing primary vault (it seems like she does since you mentioned iCloud), we wouldn't want adding a Team to delete that! I think my answer above may help with this, but be sure to let me know if you have any other questions.

However, it sounds like the one thing you perhaps did do wrong is you had her login to your 1Password for Teams account. Giving each team member their own account allows them to have their own "My Vault", access to the "Everyone" vault, and — perhaps most importantly — their own Master Password to access all of it. Just remove your 1Password for Teams account from your wife's setup, and then follow the guide here to invite her to your team:

Getting Started: Invite Your Team!

I hope this helps. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• mikecharbonneau
    mikecharbonneau
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @brenty. Yes, add my vote to specify which vault to open by default. I'll try your other suggestions.

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mikecharbonneau on behalf of @brenty you are very welcome. Let us know if you any further questions - we are happy to help.

This discussion has been closed.