Feature request for emergency access

Options
mercergirl
mercergirl
Community Member

It looks like agile bits is blowing off this feature request, so I am entering it again.

Lastpass has a robust emergency access feature that allows an authorized person to access your passwords after one week if you do not reply to an email. This sounds like a perfect solution for those of us trying to provide secure access to executors/heirs, etc.

I am already invested in 1password on my Mac and iOS devices, so I am not anxious to jump ship to lastpass. What about it, agile bits?

The 1password emergency kit v3 solution isn't really a solution, but a fairly insecure workaround.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Emergency access

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@mercergirl - Even if AgileBits wanted to implement a system like you describe, how would you image it would work? They never ever have access to your data to allow anyone, including you, to access it. I wonder who would not respond to the email you describe? And who would be the addressee?

They might be label to do something like that with 1Password for Teams, since the data for that are stored on servers they control. But since all encryption and decryption are entirely local on your machine, I still don't quite see how they could do that.

The fact that not one can gain access to my data without my master password is a feature many of us value. It's a reason we haven't chosen to use the solution your compare to.

I'm not a developer or an AgileBits employee, so perhaps there is something I am missing. But I think if a back door to their data is important to a user, 1Password may not be the right choice.

• mercergirl
    mercergirl
    Community Member
    Options

Read 'em and weep, hawkmoth.

https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/emergency-access/

I am a retired developer, but not interested in coding a solution when one exists, albeit at a cost.

Lastpass also has two-factor auth. Lots of secure AND convenience features.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

As you no doubt know, LastPass stores your data on their servers. My only point is that 1Password doesn't do that.

Emergency Access can also be used as an alternative account recovery feature, if you worry about ever forgetting your master password and want to ensure you have a backup way of recovering your vault.

And that, from the link you sent me to, is exactly something 1Password does not do.

• mercergirl
    mercergirl
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, that may be a deal breaker, but passwords are available offline when the device is not connected. That is about the same as having to sync passwords with 1password. Security? They have been vetted by some well-respected security researchers, so I think I am okay with cloud storage of my encrypted data.

Oh, well. 1password is my second ever password manager and I may just have to quit 1password to get this feature. Packing up and moving is the pits!

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @mercergirl,

I don't think @hawkmoth was implying that it was insecure to store your data on a server in general or LastPass specifically. Only that if you aren't using 1Password for Teams, Agilebits has no access or method to access your data. So it's technically impossible for us to add the mechanism as you describe.

We do not have that feature for our server based solution 1Password for Teams. Since it is still in beta and the work is ongoing I couldn't say if that particular feature is on the road map in the near future. But I'll make sure to record your interest in it. :chuffed:

• mercergirl
    mercergirl
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info, @nathanvf

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On Nathan's behalf, you're most welcome. If you have other suggestions for improving 1Password, please let us know!

This discussion has been closed.