Licensing for household

Options
cajr
cajr
Community Member

My husband and I have a Macbook, 2 Windows PCs, 2 iphones and 2 ipads. How many licenses do we need?
I've tried to figure this out by reading the info on the website. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:pricing, kb:license-requirements

Comments

• Hi Cajr,

Thank you for choosing 1Password!

1Password is licensed per family per platform.

So, you will need to purchase one license of the Mac version, one license of the iOS version, and one license of the Windows version.

I hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

• MacBucky
    MacBucky
    Community Member
    Options

So then, with us, we have 3 Mac laptops and 3 iPhones. Would we only buy a license of the Mac OS X and then the iOS version? Just curious....

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@MacBucky -

Would we only buy a license of the Mac OS X

Yes. It may be shared on all the Macs used by you and up to five other family members in the same household. If you buy from Apple, you would have to set up Family Sharing to make this work. If you buy directly from AgileBits, you would install the same license file to register each copy.

then the iOS version?

The iOS version is free to download and use in its basic version, but it requires an in-app purchase to activate more advanced Pro features. Those then become available to any iOS device that uses the same Apple ID for purchases. If you have more than one Apple ID involved in your household, the Pro features will need to be purchased for each of them. Apple does not permit Family Sharing among Apple IDs.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@MacBucky you need one (paid) Mac OS licence, best bought from AgileBits directly.

The basic version for the iPhones is free. There is an in-app purchase for extra functions on the iPhone. Unfortunately (something that AgileBits did not anticipate) you can't share an in-app purchase between Apple IDs, so if you want the in-app purchase you may need to do it once, twice, or three times, depending on how many Apple IDs you have for the three phones, and how much trouble you feel like taking..

• MacBucky
    MacBucky
    Community Member
    Options

So the next question is whether or not the one time purchase from AgileBits is a perpetual license or do we end up buying it again as versions are released?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

So the next question is whether or not the one time purchase from AgileBits is a perpetual license or do we end up buying it again as versions are released?

Your license is a one-time purchase and it is good for as long as you want to use it or your OS upgrades don't render an old version unusable. Point updates (6.0 > 6.1 > 6.2. etc.) have always been free, but major upgrades to a new version have sometimes, but not always, required an upgrade payment. When version 3 was replaced by version 4, there was an upgrade cost, but all upgrades since then have been free to licensed users. But you are not required to upgrade if you don't want to. (Version 3, however, no longer works properly on El Capitan, but until that OS X version arrived, it did continue to work for those who didn't want to upgrade.)

So there is that past history, which is all you have to go on. There is no promise that another paid upgrade won't come at some point, but no one knows when that might be. AgileBits has always offered generous upgrade pricing for existing users who buy from their own web store.

Maybe you would find it worth your time to read the official word on licensing: What do I need to purchase to use 1Password on all my devices? You will see that this discusses a new version, 1Password for Families/Teams, which are sold on a monthly subscription basis, but further down, the single, one-time licenses are also covered. A 1Password for Families license includes access to the most up-to-date versions all of the applications for all supported platforms without additional cost.

• MacBucky
    MacBucky
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, you have been extremely helpful, I appreciate it.

Mick

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @MacBucky,

On behalf of the team here, you're most welcome! We're always here to help, and happy to answer any questions you can toss our way. :chuffed:

Take care, and thanks for using 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.