Clean my MAC says 1Password on my MAC Pro V10.7.5 is using 1GB, is this normal?

I just deleted a MAIL tool and I saw the 1GB usage, wondering if this is normal or am I doing something wrong. 1Password V3.8.21 MAC OS 10.7.5 up to date with all Apple notifications.

1Password Version: 3.8.21
Extension Version: 3.9.21.90
OS Version: 10.7.5
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:disk space

Comments

• Hi @ninefingers ,

If you have a lot of large attachments, that could explain it, but for just items without attachments, it sounds too high. Does CleanMyMac say which file is using 1GB?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• ninefingers
    ninefingers
    Community Member

No, but it only listed application support as 997 MB. The next largest 'USER' was the program at 38MB.
    I looked into App support and found that I had many backups, almost two pages on my MacPro. Am I doing something wrong having all these backups? or do I need to set some parameter to delete some of these old backups.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

As a comparison, I have 51 backups, each of around 2 MB. It would be useful to know how many you have, and what individual sizes are.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ninefingers,

I'd be interested to hear the answer to Danco's question: how many backups are we talking about here, and what are the sizes?

• ninefingers
    ninefingers
    Community Member

sorry for taking so long, 51 backups today 2/2/2016 ranging from 17.5 gb to 18.7 gb. 951gb / 51 = about 18gb.
    Why so many? Should I be able to set a limit to auto remove. Using 10.7.5 on MacPro(early 2011) 11Gb memory

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ninefingers,

I hope you don't mind, but since you're using 1Password 3 for Mac, I've moved your message to our "1Password 3 for Mac" forum.

In 1Password 3, you can change the number of backups that are kept. From the main 1Password 3 app, go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences, then click the Backup tab. You can change the number in the "Keep ___ backup files" setting.

Now as far as backup size goes, I'm very surprised to hear your backups are each multiple gigabytes in size. That's really quite large! In comparison, Danco said his backups are only about 2 megabytes, which is a tiny fraction of your backups. I have a fairly small test vault in 1Password 3, and its backups are only 1.3 megabytes each. Do you happen to have a lot of attachments in 1Password? If so, that might explain the size of the backups.

• ninefingers
    ninefingers
    Community Member

If I have attachments, I have NO idea where they reside, when I look into preferences, general has all (8) the boxes checked. I though I was plan vanilla. I changed to hold only 10 backups

• ninefingers
    ninefingers
    Community Member

sorry again, I just checked 'software', some how it got elected and a lot of s/w is in there. i counted 29 items.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @ninefingers,

It isn't easy to pin found exactly what might be the cause but we can give it a try.

The first thing I would like you to do is check the size of your Agile Keychain which you can do as follows.

1. Open a Finder window.
    2. Use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G (hopefully present in OS X 10.7.5, I don't have a copy to test I'm afraid) to open a Go to Folder... window.
    3. Paste in the following path, ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ and click the Go button.
    4. In the Finder window you should see a file called 1Password.agilekeychain, select the file and use the keyboard shortcut ⌘I to open an Info window which will tell you the total size of the Agile Keychain.

Now to see if we can determine with a little more accuracy where the space is being used. With the 1Password.agilekeychain still selected right click on it and select the menu option titled Show Package Contents. You should see a couple of folders, navigate to a/default/files/ which I believe should exist if you have attachments in your Agile Keychain. If you once again use the keyboard shortcut ⌘I on this files folder what does it say is the size and how does that compare to the total size of the Agile Keychain?

If they're similar it would seem to be attachments and we can investigate to see if this is what you purposely stored or if something has gone awry.

This discussion has been closed.