OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: kb-search:sharing vaults, kb:share-vault

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@mad_hatter you may be able to do that but there's probably a better way.

Wi-fi sync works only between a Mac and an iOS device and you can't selectively sync a secondary vault (that means your primary vault will always transfer to your family member—which may not be what you want).

Generally speaking, Dropbox is a much more versatile sync method for sharing vaults with family members. Take a look at this knowledge base article:

Sync options compared: Dropbox vs. iCloud vs. Wi-Fi

This this excerpt from the user guide may also be of help:

Share a vault

Stephen

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mad_hatter,

I hope the links that Stephen_C provided were helpful to you. I also want to mention that we're currently working on an awesome new way to easily share your 1Password vaults with your family: 1Password for Teams, which is currently in a free public beta period. I'd encourage you to try it out and see if you like it! It integrates into the current 1Password for Mac app, and also allows you to securely access your vault in a web browser.

We're happy to answer any other questions you may have about sync or Teams, either here or in our 1Password for Teams Beta forum. Cheers! :)

• mad_hatter
    mad_hatter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Stephen_c and Vee, thanks very much for your comments. I want to sync via my NAS to another pc and then ipads, iphones etc. Someone today suggested using ds cloud as I have a synology NAS, so might try that first then follow Stephen_c's advice above. Many thanks for the quick response. ALso I looked at Teams but as I'm syncing passwords want to avoid the web if I can, I copuld use the web but don't really have the need, also Teams is in Beta, I assume security isn't a problem but was reading after mid this year when it goes live it'll be $5/month /person. Not sure I'm ready for that yet. I've only just migrated from sheets of paper to excel spreadsheet in the last 6 months and now a password manager, woohoo cheers

• Hi @mad_hatter,

I love hearing when someone has taken the plunge to abandon a system like an excel spreadsheet for passwords. Good on you!

While syncing via Folder Sync to a NAS is possible, it's not recommended. Now if I remember correctly, Synology has a mode where it behaves similarly to Dropbox where you have a local folder that it automatically syncs to to the NAS. If I'm remembering correctly, then that's what you'll want to use. Syncing directly to the NAS is going to give you a pretty bad experience overall. In version 6 I accidentally made NAS syncing substantially worse. I'm working towards getting it back to be at least as good as v5, but overall it'll never be as good as a local folder sync (I can go into various technical details for why that is if you'd really like, but I tend to bore people with that).

The final pricing for 1Password for Families (what we're calling Teams when geared towards Families) hasn't been announced yet. It won't be $5/month/person. We're hoping to be able to announce the official pricing this month.

Let us know if you have any more questions. We're happy to help.

Rick

• mad_hatter
    mad_hatter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick, thats not quite right, I used a word document for over 10 years until 6 months ago and you know I never had a hard drive crash or lose any data and my backups were always perfect then I went to an excel spreadsheet. But now we're working on a website with all sorts of logins so something more sophisticated is required. Last few days I've done quite a lot of reading on cryptography and used several different programs like PGP for over 10 years and will probably now use Dropbox, now that I'm more knowledgable about the security issues. Thanks again for all your help everyone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Rick, you are most welcome! And be sure to reach out of you have any questions about 1Password specifically, security in general, or if you just want to discuss that sort of thing. We have a great community here, and the more the merrier! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.