v6 seems to default to all vaults instead of the primary

elake8
elake8
Community Member

I'd like to set all versions (Mac, mini on Mac, iOS) to default to the primary vault only, instead of to all vaults. I think the last version of 1P did this, but now it's not the case.

1Password Version: 6.0.1 (601003)
Extension Version: 4.5.3.90
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:v6 seems to default to all vaults instead of the primary

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

@elake8 - You are correct that the default now is to display all vaults. That change came with the introduction of the all vaults feature in version 6. Since then, there have been many requests in the forum to only display the primary vault by default, or to let the user choose which vault to display by default. You can limit the all vaults view to only those vaults you wish to see in the 1Paasword preferences, under the All Vaults tab. Perhaps that will help you for now.

The AgileBits folks are considering options for improving the all vaults feature, but there isn't any news about what they might do or when they might make a change.

• Hey @elake8! Hawkmoth's response is spot on. We're considering changing things, but at the moment this is the way the functionality is built. Thanks so much for the feedback! :) Let us know if you need anything else.

• heather0223
    heather0223
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

Plus 1 for this request.

I have several accounts for the same services for various NPOs and other uses and I have things organized into different vaults so my main vault isn't a mess (for example showing 10 different Google logins). Having different vaults is great however the latest change to search them all by default each time the app or browser extension is used for the first time in that session is rather annoying and essentially unravels the benefit of different vaults. I would love a preference that goes one step further to set a specific vault to search by default instead of all vaults.

Thanks!

• SirAtilla
    SirAtilla
    Community Member

Plus 1 for me as well.

I whole reason I use multiple vaults was to eliminate the clutter in primary and new behavior defeats the purpose.

Thanks

• elake8
    elake8
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I have to admit that if I'd known about this behaviour, I would've stuck on v5, which was pretty damn groovy for me. :)

My use cases are like @heather0223 and @SirAtilla

• jd007
    jd007
    Community Member

@hawkmoth

"the default now is to display all vaults. That change came with the introduction of the all vaults feature in version 6. Since then, there have been many requests in the forum to only display the primary vault by default, or to let the user choose which vault to display by default. "

Hear hear! I am surprised at the current implementation, i.e. default as All Vaults. I would have thought that view would be the minority situation, since entries that are in more than one vault are all displayed as duplicates. Seems odd to me, but hey just my interesting point of view!

I look forward to the next version giving us some greater options! thanks for hearing us. ;-)

• fletom
    fletom
    Community Member

+1 for this. It's really bugging me.

Also why does it go back to All Vaults every single time I restart the app, even after I've selected Primary? Shouldn't it at least remember what I was using last?

Tangentially: the All Vaults icon is ugly as all heck. Surprising given how nicely the rest of 1Password is designed.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @heather0223,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm sorry that All Vaults isn't quite working for you. Have you experimented with the All Vaults Preferences? I've got 10+ vaults on my system, and I've removed all but 3 from my All Vaults view so that I've got access to my most-used Logins, but can easily ignore the ones I only use on a once in a while. I think it might make this feature a bit more powerful for you.

That being said, we have heard a lot from users since the implementation of this feature and we are looking into ways to help everyone get more out of all of their vaults.

Hi @SirAtilla and @elake8,

I'll be sure to pass your votes along to our team. :)

Hi @jd007,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here - I'm glad that Hawkmoth's reply was useful to you.

It's funny, in the previous implementation of multiple vaults, we heard from a lot of users who wanted to be able to see all of their items all at once, no matter which vault they lived in. We thought that All Vaults was going to be an amazing solution for our users who relied on multiple vaults. It's been really interesting reading all the feedback from users now and learning more about the various use cases that don't quite fit into the All Vaults mould.

since entries that are in more than one vault are all displayed as duplicates.

Generally we advise that items should live in only one vault. I know that I've heard from some users who did copy items between vaults because they needed to share, say, the Netflix Login in their family vault, but they also wanted quick access to it in their Primary vault. All Vaults was built partly to solve that problem, since you can now have that Netflix Login in your family vault, but see it when you unlock 1Password, without having to switch to your secondary vault.

I'd love to hear a little bit more about why you have items stored in more than one vault. :)

Hi @fletom,

Also why does it go back to All Vaults every single time I restart the app, even after I've selected Primary? Shouldn't it at least remember what I was using last?

All Vaults is the default view at this time. I'll be sure to let our team know that you'd like to see some flexibility here. I can't make any promises, but as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, we're listening to all of the feedback here and investigating how we can make this feature better.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• heather0223
    heather0223
    Community Member

@megan Thanks for the tip. I had looked at the preferences before I posted but took that screen to mean those vaults would never be included or accessible without going back into Preferences. I did not play around with it and removing my "side" vaults does help a lot.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @heather0223,

I'm glad to hear that customizing All Vaults has made that view a little bit more useful to you. I'll mention to our team that it's not immediately clear what those settings mean. :)

• elake8
    elake8
    Community Member

@Megan That tip was great -- Basically, a +1 on what @heather0223 said. Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @elake8,

I'm glad to hear that my tip helped! Your vote has been passed along. :)

• gnarreb
    gnarreb
    Community Member

Whenever I start 1Password or reenter my password it reopens all vaults. This gives me some entries with the same or similar name to choose from. I would like to have only one vault (a selected one, or the last one, or..) open at start.

1Password Version: 6.01
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OS 10.11.3
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• jd007
    jd007
    Community Member

Hi @heather0223,

I'm not sure how to format my reply to make your quotes look nice like you have done, :| but anyway you said in reference to me:

"Generally we advise that items should live in only one vault. I know that I've heard from some users who did copy items between vaults because they needed to share, say, the Netflix Login in their family vault, but they also wanted quick access to it in their Primary vault. All Vaults was built partly to solve that problem, since you can now have that Netflix Login in your family vault, but see it when you unlock 1Password, without having to switch to your secondary vault.

I'd love to hear a little bit more about why you have items stored in more than one vault. :) "

Here's my situation: My Primary vault contains my passwords, for me personally to use. I then have a Secondary vault which is for my attorneys or executors of my will, to access in the future when I'm gone. ;) (They will do that via 1PasswordAnywhere, provided that Dropbox doesn't make changes that break it, in which case I'll have to find another option!)

So, all of my passwords are in my Primary vault, most of my passwords are in the Secondary vault, i.e. the important ones that are needed for them to deal with banks, business stuff etc. But there are some passwords those guys won't need, eg some social sites etc. I don't wish to confuse them with things they don't need to take care of, and actually I don't wish for the attorneys to know I even have some of those! :) That's why I have my own vault for their business.

So when I open 1Password now, I see 90% duplicates down the list. I mostly only ever need to view my Primary vault, so really would like the options in Preferences to open each time as the default with either: 1) All Vaults (I wouldn't use this but I know others would from what I've been reading) 2) Primary (that's why I would have as my default), 2) Secondary 3) 4) ...and so on for other vaults.

thanks for listening

regards @jd007

• @gnarreb I merged your post into this thread which is discussing the same topic. You may find the earlier answers in this thread helpful for you, but I'll answer you and @jd007 here.

As Megan said, you generally shouldn't need to have more than one copy of an item in different vaults. We built All Vaults to let you keep your information separate but still accessible to you all together. You can exclude certain vaults from "All Vaults" in 1Password's preferences, as you can see I've done here:

However, it may simply be more helpful (especially for you, @jd007) to remove the duplicate items from your main vault and keep them only in the secondary vault. Then your main vault has only the information that you don't wish to pass on to attorneys/executors, and the secondary vault has the rest that you do want to pass on. Now with All Vaults, you can view the full list of both without having to worry about copying items over and making sure the secondary vault is up to date.

I hope that helps!

Oh, and by the way, you can do pretty quotes by prefixing the line with a right angle bracket (a.k.a. the "greater than" sign >). So the quoted part would look like this while you're editing:

And it would look like this in the post:

Put your quoted text here.

I hope that helps as well. :)

• jd007
    jd007
    Community Member

@rob OK, thanks for the suggestions.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

Is it possible to start the 1Password on OSX with a different vault to "All vaults"? I keep confusing other peoples account for mine because of this as we should not have to add our own name to the title of every item to differentiate.

It appears to remember the last vault you used on iOS which is also OK.

I would like to start the app each time with only my vault for example.

1Password Version: 6.01
    Extension Version: 4.5.2
    OS Version: OSX 10.11.3
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Rob, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• @JamesHenderson, I've merged your question into this thread that discusses the same thing. There are many good answers here already, so I won't repeat them, but if you have further questions, please let us know!

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

@rob - thanks and sorry for the double post.

I have read the thread in its entirety now and am still +1 to chose which vault (incl. the option of "all vaults" to start up with.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JamesHenderson,

Thanks for the vote! I'll let our developers know. :)

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

After quite a bit of use now, I am finding this really rather annoying. I only want to see the "shared" stuff when I want to see the shared stuff. Most of the time I am only interested in my stuff. I have found myself logging in as others and also having difficulty knowing which of the 5 google ID's to use because they are all called "google".

• MacSupport
    MacSupport
    Community Member

Yes, I would like to have only the Primary Vault (or a vault I choose) to be the default.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

Version 6.0.2 arrived for me this afternoon. It has added the ability for the user to see any vault they choose when 1Password opens, or to see the last open vault. I have set mine to display Primary by default, but others will likely make different choices. I'd mark this request as Done!

Here is the item as described in the release notes:

We added a preference that allows you to control which vault is opened when you unlock the app. {OPM-3750}

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@hawkmoth fantastic!

• elake8
    elake8
    Community Member

Installed (check!) and set (check!)

Thank all y'all so much!

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@hawkmoth ...cannot see this on the app store. Did you download from AgileBits?

• Hi @JamesHenderson,

1Password 6.0.2 isn't yet available on the Mac App Store. We've submitted it for review and are waiting for it to go through the process at Apple. We hope that it gets approved soon.

Rick

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@rickfillion thanks!

• No problem!

This discussion has been closed.