1Password Mac 3 compatible with 1Password iOS 6?

Our daughter is going to be using our older MacBook which is limited to running OS X Lion (10.7) and therefore 1Password Mac 3.9.6. But she also has an iPhone 5 running iOS 9.2.1 and 1Password iOS 6.2.1. Assuming we're syncing via Dropbox, are there any issues with data compatibility between these two versions? What about browser extensions under OS X—specifically Safari and Firefox?

1Password Version: 3.9.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.7.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @collin,

1Password 6 for iOS and 1Password 3 for Mac will sync nicely together using Dropbox. There are some great new features that have been implemented in 1Password since version 3, but the core functionality of the app is still the same.

Here are a few of the new things that have been added since 1Password 3:

• Multiple Vaults
    • Custom fields
    • time-based one-time passwords
    • iCloud sync
    • New Wi-Fi sync

So, one thing for your daughter to be aware of is that if she creates custom fields in 1Password for iOS, she will not see those fields in 1Password for Mac (because it won't know how to display them). Those fields will still sync fine, unless she were to edit that entry in 1Password for Mac.

If you have any questions about any of the above features, please let me know, I'd be happy to go into more detail. :)

What about browser extensions under OS X—specifically Safari and Firefox?

You'll want to make sure you're using the appropriate extensions for 1Password 3, available on this extension download page.

• collin
    collin
    Community Member

@Megan, thanks so much. We have newer machines running the latest edition of 1Password, and I understand she'll have to leave behind some of the newer features. Not a problem. My concern was simply data file compatibility.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @collin,

I'm glad to hear that my answer helped! In terms of data compatibility, there's one other thing I should mention. We're moving towards the .opvault format as default in 1Password 6. 1Password 3 won't be able to read this file, so have your daughter create her 1Password database in 1Password 3 for Mac first, and then sync it to 1Password for iOS. This will ensure that the sync file is a .agilekeychain file. 1Password for iOS will still be able to read it fine, and 1Password 3 for Mac won't be confused by it. :)

• collin
    collin
    Community Member

Understood. Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:smile:

This discussion has been closed.