1Password Always Running as a process in the background

Options
BinaryTB
BinaryTB
Community Member

I was told by AgileBits via the Google Play Store that 1Password shouldn't be running in the background and that I should contact support to diagnose this issue.

I'm running a Nexus 6P (Android 6.0) and am having this issue. My previous phone, HTC One M7 (Android 5.0) exhibited this issue as well.

I'm not using the autofill-in or wifi sync (just local sync, where another app syncs that folder to my PC). So why is 1Password always running in the background? (Shows up in running apps, not cached background). All of this assumes that I do not have 1Password in my Recent Apps screen.

When I fresh start my phone, great, 1Password isn't in Running Services. After I use it once and exit, 1Password then remains a running a service on the phone, not cached, not in recent apps, just a running service (in Android 6.0, Running Services is under Developer Options in Settings now). If I'm not using any 1Password features, why is it always running?

Let me know if I can give any more information.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Folder Sync

Comments

• Hey @BinaryTB. Thanks for getting in touch with us. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Android device:
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/android.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+android@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• BinaryTB
    BinaryTB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Peri,

Just sent off the email. I don't know if it's a bug , but after tapping "Send Email" and then choosing Gmail as the app from the pop-up, I get a "Can't attach empty file" in Gmail and the email has no attachment and the body only contains "We welcome your feedback. If you're writing about a particular issue, please help us better assist you by providing as much detail as you can.".

So I copied/pasted the Email Diagnostics into the body of the email and also pasted the URL for this thread.

• Hey @BinaryTB. Thanks for the report! I'll look it up and get back to you via email.

As to the issue you mentioned, this is because of the new permission system in Android Marshmallow. If Gmail does not have storage permission enabled, 1Password's diagnostic report will not get attached. We resolved this issue for the next beta. :)

For now, you can either enable storage permission for Gmail, or copy and paste the diagnostic report like you did. :)

• Thanks @BinaryTB for getting in touch with us and sending us a diagnostic report. I looked over the report and I don't see any reason for 1Password to be running in the background after you exit. I also checked on my Nexus 6P and I don't see 1Password under Running services, but I do see it under Cached Processes. I like to look into why you are seeing different on your device, could you please give this a try:

1. Launch the main 1Password app and unlock your vault
    2. Tap on the Recents button on your device and swipe 1Password to exit
    3. Go into Settings > Developer options > Running services
    4. If you see 1Password, tap on it and let us know the processes and services reported running

Thanks!

• BinaryTB
    BinaryTB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi saad,

I did exactly what you said and 1Password is definitely in the list. Here's what I see:

SERVICES
    AutosyncService - 6:06:10
    (Started by app.)

PROCESSES
    1Password - 4.4MB
    com.agilebits.onepassword
    Main process in use.

Let me know if you want more info or want me to try something else.

• @BinaryTB Thanks for that info. I rechecked my running processes and I can confirm seeing 1Password after exiting through the Recents screen.

I also looked into this using 1Password 6.0 (our next major release) and the issue seems to be resolved there. We are working on releasing 1Password 6.0 on the Play Store very soon, but if you like to get your hands on an early preview, feel free to join our beta:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/56932/welcome-to-1password-6

If you do install the beta, we love to get a confirmation from you. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.