Choosing a Good Master Password

2»

Comments

• Maurice Kelly
    Maurice Kelly
    Community Member

Since DiceWare yields lowercase pass phrases with a single random special character, they are far easier to type, particularly on iOS devices. This makes them ideal for your requirement. I strongly recommend you give it a try.

I will certainly give the Diceware technique a go for my 1Password master password.

Unfortunately it's not suitable for things like my Windows domain passwords. Our corporate policy is that we have to include at least 1 capital letter, at least one numeral, and we can't have any repeating characters (which you can get through Diceware).

Cheers,

Maurice
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Those kinds of password policies always ruffle my feathers — er, stylish locks? :lol:

If I had to make a password policy right now it would only require a certain length, say 20 or 30 characters and nothing else. Make it long enough and the "fancy" stuff is all but pointless.

I feel your pain, though. Been there. Dealt with that. I work for an awesome company in this and many other regards, but I know most people do not have that luxury.

One day people will realize.
  • I realize there has been some spirited discussion on how to construct a strong password in this thread, but let the debate end now! Our wait is over!

Finally, the true security experts have given us the one tool to rule them all: McAfee Speaks!

No longer do we need to rely on the feeble opinion given us by AgileBits' Strong Password Generator! Test your passwords and get the real truth regarding password strength. :)

FYI: the first 50 character password I tested came back all "X"s. The second similar password came back all "✓"s. Great little tester they've developed.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    enhztytgabmqjkqfxkoveaxgpmducsvpixwlhjubrfxrynwcdz is "medium."

jordan23 is "medium."

1Dog&1Cat! is "super strong."

I think they need to improve their algorithm. ;-)
  • bswins
    edited May 2011
    khad wrote:

enhztytgabmqjkqfxkoveaxgpmducsvpixwlhjubrfxrynwcdz is "medium."

1Dog&1Cat!! is "super strong."

I think they need to improve their algorithm. ;-)

IMHO, they need to improve a lot of things. :)

1Dog&1Cat? Oh Lord, take me now!

BTW:

"ILove1Password!" and "Y0urAlgorithmReally$ucks!" were both Super Strong too.

Maybe they're on to something...a Truth Meter? biggrin.gif

P.S. Love the MJ reference. Go Heels!
  • Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

I will certainly give the Diceware technique a go for my 1Password master password.

Unfortunately it's not suitable for things like my Windows domain passwords. Our corporate policy is that we have to include at least 1 capital letter, at least one numeral, and we can't have any repeating characters (which you can get through Diceware).

Cheers,

Maurice

Yep, those Windows constraints can be a nuisance! However DiceWare can still help. There is a special section devoted to that issue.
  • invictus26
    invictus26
    Community Member
    Thanks, Jeff! You had a lot of good points.

jpgoldberg wrote:

One limitation of this kind of software is that the question "what is the entropy of this particular password" is not actually answerable. We have to know the how large the "space" of alternative passwords is.
    But a randomly generated 8 character password from the full set may not contain any digits at all. (I'm to lazy to calculate the odds of that happening, but I'm confident that it is a realistic possibility.)

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by this. Do you mean that you could choose a password randomly from a characterset of letters and numbers and possibly get only letters? In that case, it's better to look at the actual password because that is what is being attacked. If you don't have numbers in your password, then it will be easier to crack, even though you chose from a larger characterset. Sorry if I misunderstood that.

jpgoldberg wrote:

I'm not sure about the straight division by 4 for user generated passwords. I think it is safe to say that the longer a user generated password is, the fewer bits of entropy per character there will be. So I think the amount you divide by needs to be an increasing function of the password length. So instead of

@combinations = @charset**@length
    @combinations /= 4 if user_gen

It should be something like

@combinations = (@charset/@user_gen_factor)**@length

As long as @user_gen_factor is greater than 1, this will have an increasing penalty with the length of a under generated password.

You're absolutely right. I originally put in the factor of 4 just to err on the safe side, but I've changed my code to accurately reflect the estimates made in the NIST report as length increases.

jpgoldberg wrote:

I think that this is the biggest issue. We do a simple dictionary check in our password strength tester, but of course it is limited to only a few languages and doesn't check for spelling errors.

This is true, and I've since added a dictionary component as well. I just released a simple web app here (sometimes it's a little slow to load) that tests passwords against a 289,000-word English dictionary (including misspellings and common passwords) and a 176,000-word dictionary of names. It also checks for common letter substitutions and prepending or appending symbols. It also will make a brute-force calculation and display the chance of your password being cracked in a given time period. There's also several options you can play around with to try different situations. You can read more about it here, where you will also find a link to the source code on Github and a link to a download of my English dictionary in case anyone wants to run it on their own computer. I have many more dictionaries to add, so let me know if there's interest in posting them. I had a ton of fun on this project, and I hope people find it interesting and informative.

jpgoldberg wrote:

Unless you have a very long lists of verbs, adjectives, and nouns this might be a real problem. The diceware list has 65 (7776) words, so a three word diceware password has 615 (about 470 billion) possible passwords (about 40 bits of entropy). If you want to match that with VERB ADJECTIVE NOUN then you will need 65 of each type of word. Finding 7000 English verbs may be a challenge.

This is definitely something I'm looking at. I've found that you would need about 5 words from the diceware list to give sufficient security, which I think is a little too much. I'm trying to expand the word-list so that you would need fewer words. You're right that there might not be enough verbs; I've been working on creating the lists for different types of speech, but it's been pretty slow. I'm hoping that the combination of verbs, adjectives and nouns will give enough strength, but I might have to add an adverb or something... I'll post again when I have something put together.

Thanks so much for the feedback, it really pushed me to improve my system!

-Matt
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    invictus26 wrote:

Thanks, Jeff! You had a lot of good points.

Thanks! I had fun with it. I'm glad I was helpful.

Do you mean that you could choose a password randomly from a characterset of letters and numbers and possibly get only letters? In that case, it's better to look at the actual password because that is what is being attacked. If you don't have numbers in your password, then it will be easier to crack, even though you chose from a larger characterset. Sorry if I misunderstood that.

The problem that I raised is a fundamental one that really can't be addressed in a tool like yours or in our password strength checker. We are logically in the position of asking a question like: "Is 6030219 a random number and if so, how random is it?"

If you have a random password generator that pulls from [a-zA-Z0-9] but happens, on a particular run, to give you "1234567", your all digit password is, in one sense, just as secure as any other seven character password generated by that system. It is only less secure if an attacker would try checking for all digit passwords early.

The randomness of a password is not a function of the password itself but of the pool of potential passwords it was pulled from. But the *security* of a password is a function of what kinds of things an attacker checks first. Because half the planet (ok, I'm exaggerating a bit) use "1234567" as a password, then crackers will try this very early.

All I was trying to say is that the only real way to judge the strength of a password is the actually run a cracker against it and see how long it takes to find. Everything else we do (and that includes us) is guess work. This wasn't intended to put you off the project; but just something to think about as we form our guesses.

I've since added a dictionary component as well. I just released a simple web app here (sometimes it's a little slow to load) that tests passwords against a 289,000-word English dictionary (including misspellings and common passwords) and a 176,000-word dictionary of names. It also checks for common letter substitutions and prepending or appending symbols. It also will make a brute-force calculation and display the chance of your password being cracked in a given time period.

That's great! That is really what is needed. It goes a long way toward addressing the problem I described above.

There's also several options you can play around with to try different situations. You can read more about it here, where you will also find a link to the source code on Github and a link to a download of my English dictionary in case anyone wants to run it on their own computer. I have many more dictionaries to add, so let me know if there's interest in posting them. I had a ton of fun on this project, and I hope people find it interesting and informative.

I look forward to playing around with it.

You're right that there might not be enough verbs

I'm pleased to know that my degree in Linguistics hasn't gone completely to waste.

Thanks again! I'll look at the current state of the code when I get a chance.

Cheers,

-j
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Jeff's blog post “Toward Better Master Passwords” just landed for those of you interested. :-)

Cheers,
This discussion has been closed.