Feature requests for Android version of 1Password

Options
HenryAZ
HenryAZ
Community Member
edited February 2016 in Android

I am a long time user of 1Password, on Mac and iOS devices. I recently acquired an Android phone as well (Nexus 5x), and was pleased to find out there is an Android version of 1Password. I just installed it and purchased the extra features. It is version 4.5.3.

However, there are two shortcomings/suggestions/things that are different between the Android app and the iOS app that I would like to suggest as feature requests.

1. I use Wi-fi sync. The master copy of the database resides on my desktop (OS X 10.11.3, 1PW 6.0, Agilebits store version), which is connected to the LAN via ethernet only. I have the Wi-fi server enabled, and the iOS version of 1Password is able to sync just fine (IOW, both devices do not have to be running Wi-fi. The iOS version is smart enough to recognize the Wi-fi server being on the same IP network, or LAN). On the Android version, I must enable Wi-fi on my desktop before the Android will sync via Wi-fi, meaning they both have to be connected to Wi-fi. Can we make the Android version a little smarter so it, too, can detect that the desktop is on the same network (LAN), without both having to be running Wi-fi?

2. Now Androids have a fingerprint sensor. I might add it works better than the iOS model. Its location on the back of the device is a natural place where either index finger falls when you pick up the phone, and the reliability is better. I am still primarily and overwhelmingly an iPhone user, though. Anyway, now that we have fingerprint functionality on the Android, can we get some of the same iOS features for fingerprinting into the Android version (such as unlocking the app at any time after the initial login). I did enable a PIN, which permits quick re-entry after a short time, but later on, one must go through the tedious process of entering the master database password every time. Fingerprint auth, like we have on iOS, sure would be handy.

--
henry

1Password Version: 6.0 on OS X, Agilebits store version, 4.5.3 Android
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
_OS Version: OS X 10.11.3, Android 6.0.1
_Sync Type: Wi-fi

Comments

• Hi @HenryAZ. Thanks for getting in touch with us today. :)

I have exciting news regarding your second feature request, so I'll start there. :) We've added support for fingerprint unlock to 1Password 6 for Android, which is currently in beta. Testing has been going well, and we're hoping to release it in a stable update very soon. You'll be able to use fingerprint unlock on your Nexus 5X sooner than you think!

As to your feedback regarding Wi-Fi sync, you're absolutely right. It would be wonderful if 1Password handled Wi-Fi sync a little bit smoother and a little smarter. I'll pass your comments along to the team for their consideration. :)

Let us know if you have any other questions or suggestions! Thanks!

• HenryAZ
    HenryAZ
    Community Member
    Options

Here's an update. I noticed just yesterday an update to the Android app, and I don't know if the update changed things, or perhaps it was some mistake I was making during my initial setup of the app, and initial sync. But, now I can sync the Android app with my Mac desktop, without both having to be connected to wi-fi. So, in that sense, it works the same as the iOS app. That is a blessing, because I never turn on wi-fi on my desktop, keeping it ethernet only. Wi-fi and ethernet are all on the same network, of course.

Now, just waiting for the fingerprint access to the Android 1PW database. Thanks

henry

• That's awesome news! Thank you for the update, Henry. I was hoping version 6.0 would address the Wi-Fi issue you mentioned and my wish came true :)

As for fingerprint access and your 5X, the future is now! Version 6 includes Fingerprint Unlock. You simply need to go into 1Password Settings, select Security, and then enable Fingerprint Unlock. Doing so will enable you to unlock 1Password with your fingerprint.

I hope that helps,

++dave;

• HenryAZ
    HenryAZ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! Shame on me for not even looking there, as that's how it is done in the iOS version as well.

I might add, this is my first Android device since the original Motorola Droid. I am a die-hard Apple fan, but decided to also try out Google's Project Fi. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that the Android fingerprint sensor works much better than the iDevice one, which can occasionally be finicky. Inputting a fingerprint is faster, and it is always recognized immediately. Nevertheless, the Nexus 5x will remain an additional toy, rather than replacing my iPhone.

Thanks again for the two updates on the Android 1Password app.

• No worries, Henry! And there's certainly no need for shame whatsoever! If it makes you feel any better, here was my first experience with my Nexus 6P. I literally could not figure out how to make it boot up! And this was my second Android device, so as you can see, you not finding the Fingerprint Unlock switch isn't that big of a deal :)

I'm a die hard iOS guy myself as well, but I gotta say, I've been quite impressed with my Nexus 6P. Most often Apple sways me back after their developers conference, but if Google announces enough goodies in Android 7, they might keep me for a while longer.

Take care, Henry, and enjoy your newfound fingertip powers! :)

This discussion has been closed.