Can't locate Keychain on my new Mac's Dropbox

Hello,

I've been using 1password with Dropbox for quite some time.

Now I installed the software on my girlfriend's laptop and shared the 1password folder with her (on Dropbox) in order to be able to use it on her computer too.

The problem is, Dropbox can't locate the keychain. When I look manually in the folders, I can't find any file called "agilekeychain" or anything like that. At the same time, my iPhone is able to sync with Dropbox just fine. I first thought there were some issues with Dropbox sharing the folder between my own account and my girlfriends account, but the files seem to be identical.

In what folder is the actual keychain file? I have folders called "a", "sync", "data" and "config" and a HTML file called 1password.html. (Clicking on this file displays on error saying the data is incorrect or corrupt.)

Comments

• bswins
    edited May 2011
    Hello Jacques and welcome to the Forums!

Please review the following 1P help article in order to setup Dropbox synching on the laptop: Configuring Dropbox Syncing

Your 1Password.agilekeychain should be located in the Dropbox root folder. The subfolders called "a", "sync", "data" and "config" and a HTML file called 1password.html are components of the keychain. (see screen shot)

Also, since you stated that the laptop belongs to your girlfriend, you may want to review AgileBits' licensing policy: AgileBits Software Licenses.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • Jacques 1980
    edited May 2011
    I went through the instructions one more time, but I think I know what I'm doing.

The problem is that I can't locate the keychain file on my Dropbox.

It has to be there, since it syncs perfectly on my other devices. But when even I log on to Dropbox at Dropbox.com to view my files, there is nothing that resembles the keychain file in there. (So it shouldn't be a sync issue.)

Is it possible that the file is hidden? What is the purpose of the HTML file (1password.html), could that be the keychain?

P.S. The laptop is indeed my girlfriend's, yet there is only one user for 1password, me.
  • bswins
    edited May 2011

I went through the instructions one more time, but I think I know what I'm doing.

The problem is that I can't locate the keychain file on my Dropbox.

It has to be there, since it syncs perfectly on my other devices. But when even I log on to Dropbox at Dropbox.com, there is nothing that resembles the keychain file in there.

Is it possible that the file is hidden? What is the purpose of the HTML file?

P.S. The laptop is indeed my girlfriend's, yet there is only one user for 1password, me.

Jacques,

I think I updated my last post while you were replying. Sorry about that.

First, the .html file is for the 1PasswordAnywhere function. You can read more about it here: 1PA

Your agilekeychain is called 1Password.agilekeychain. When you first setup Dropbox syncing on your other computer, the instructions directed you to move the file from your computer to your Dropbox folder.

This is accomplished on the Preferences>General tab. Please take a look at your home computer's screen and note the location shown. It should show something like: User>...>Dropbox>1Password.agilekeychain.

When you open that location in your Dropbox folder, you should see something like the attached screen shot.

Please take a look and reply back. Since you can find the subfolders ("a", etc.), I believe you just need to move up in the Dropbox folder one level, and you will see the keychain.

We'll get you set up in no time.

Brandt

P.S. No problem with the laptop license. However, since you mentioned it, I wanted you to be sure you knew their policy. :)
  • For anyone wishing to read another thread that discussed a similar issue concerning the 1Password.agilekeychain location in Dropbox, please refer to the following: keychain location
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited May 2011
    bswins wrote:

For anyone wishing to read another thread that discussed a similar issue concerning the 1Password.agilekeychain location in Dropbox, please refer to the following: keychain location

Looks like you hit the nail on the head, my first assumption is that some how the .agilekeychain extension was removed causing the indicated problem. I have seen this more than once. :)

In all likely hood you actually see a folder called 1Password when you open Dropbox, inside this folder you see the files you mentioned. All thats needed is to get info on the 1Password folder use cmd + I, then in the name section add .agilekeychain.

At that time you will that folder condense into a bundle like the previous screen shots show.

Give Dropbox time to resync any changes PLEASE wait till you see the green checkmark

You may need to manually tell 1Password on most devices where the keychain is. To do this simply double click on the keychain file 1P will ask if you want to switch to this keychain select YES

Repeat as needed for all Macs etc.

Once you do this Open 1P and make a small change to say a note etc then allow that change to sync this will cause 1P to write the data location into the pointer file which is hidden by default for the mobile apps. (Most likely not needed but never hurts)

Edit Please note : I have my keychain in a folder called 1Password as I am an organizing freak. If I had the same issue as you describe using my setup I would see Dropbox->1Password->1Password->a etc

In my actual setup I see Dropbox->1Password->1Password.agilekeychain

I hope I haven't confused you any

ps when I originally moved my keychain to Dropbox so so long ago I had the same issue.
  • Tommy,

Thanks for posting. I'm glad one of AB's Dropbox experts has weighed in on the issue.

Brandt

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Just to try to make the Tommy's point very simply:

1Password.html, a, config, data, and sync, are all the contents of your data file. That is, they exist inside it.

20110530-ky7x3321hinnhne2pghhbyhu58.png

Simply rename whatever "folder" they are in to exactly 1Password.agilekeychain (with the extension .agilekeychain).
    20110530-dfs37gbjsrnp56h9e1fus48f9f.png
    Your data file will now show up in OS X as an actual data file rather than a folder.

20110530-qhpstucften62jaic151eenrsh.png

1PasswordAnywhere (that 1Password.html file) should also now work properly when you access it from the Dropbox website since Dropbox has some "magic" that helps it work, but they only know it is a 1Password data file if it has the correct .agilekeychain extension.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.