Can I unlock 1Password using my Android phone fingerprint reader? I have a Galaxy S6 Edge

Options
ben1265
ben1265
Community Member

I'm trying to set up 1Password to unlock using my phone's fingerprint reader, but I can't find the option. Is that feature available?

1Password Version: 4.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:fingerprint

Comments

• Hey @ben1265. :) We're currently working on adding fingerprint unlock to 1Password on Android, and we're hoping to release this feature soon. That said, I'm not sure what APIs the S6 uses for fingerprint scanning. 1Password requires the new fingerprint APIs introduced in Android Marshmallow. If the update to Android 6.0 for the your device supports these APIs for the fingerprint scanner, you can expect fingerprint unlock to be supported by 1Password!

• pugsly
    pugsly
    Community Member
    Options

Hey guys, how is this progressing? I installed 1password with the expectation that I would be able to use the fingerprint scanner on my Nexus 6p to unlock... and I can't. :(

• peri
    Options

Hi @pugsly. We've recently added fingerprint unlock for devices supporting the Marshmallow fingerprint framework in a beta update. It's in beta testing at the moment, and if all goes well, it should be released in a stable update in the not too distant future. :)

If you like, you can read a bit about this release, as well as how to become a beta tester, in this post:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/56932/welcome-to-1password-6#latest

Let us know if you have any further questions!

• whysoawesome
    whysoawesome
    Community Member
    Options

your app's fingerprint support on ios is the ONLY thing keeping me from dropping my iphone.
    after reading this post, I just bought a nexus 5x. weeeeeeeeee!

• That's great to hear, @whysoawesome! Fingerprint unlock will be coming to your 5X very soon. :D

• FlyingChris320
    FlyingChris320
    Community Member
    Options

Will fingerprint login come for the Sony Xperia Z5, too?
    Would be much easier using the sensor than using pin or password.

• Hi @FlyingChris320. Fingerprint Unlock is supported on devices that support the fingerprint framework in Android Marshmallow. Currently, the only devices with this support are Google's Nexus 5X and 6P, but I think as more devices get updated with Google's latest Android OS, I can see support expanding to devices from other manufacturers. :)

• whysoawesome
    whysoawesome
    Community Member
    Options

Running the beta on my brand new nexus 5x and LOVING it! Well done.

• Yesss!! I love it!! I'm glad to hear that you love it too! :lol:

• scgf
    scgf
    Community Member
    Options

FYI fingerprint unlock works on my Samsung Galaxy S6 which is running the Marshmallow 6.01 beta in the UK :)

• Holy moly, @scgf! That is fantastic news! Thanks for letting us know! :lol:

• comicgeek
    comicgeek
    Community Member
    Options

I've got note 5 but I can't find fingerprint unlock anywhere in the app. 5.1.1

• Hi @comicgeek. Fingerprint Unlock requires the fingerprint framework available in Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Right now, the only devices that support Fingerprint Unlock are the Google Nexus 5X and 6P. It sounds like it may be working on Samsung devices with the latest beta build of Marshmallow, as scgf pointed out above, so we're hoping this will become more widely available as device's receive the Marshmallow upgrades. :)

• virodeath
    virodeath
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I am using the Nexus 6P, is this available yet? Coming from an Apple 6S Plus I can say I REALLY miss this feature.

Viro

• Hi @virodeath. You can indeed use Fingerprint Unlock with the Nexus 6P. Just make sure to install 1Password 6 from the Play Store. Then go to your device settings and tap Security. There, you'll be able to toggle Fingerprint Unlock on. Let me know if you have more questions!

• danielpolo
    danielpolo
    Community Member
    Options

I just updated on my S6 and can't see the fingerprint option under Security... Sucks

• @danielpolo: That's weird. I wonder why that is? I noticed in this Internal Samsung file leaks revealing Android 6.0 features for the Galaxy S6 that the leaked documents included "fingerprints" on slide #9. Within Android's settings, are you not seeing that in the "Lock screen and security" page?

By the way, I assume you rooted your phone and that's how you got version 6? Just curious as it appears Samsung hasn't released it yet.

• danielpolo
    danielpolo
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, I'm on 5.1.1. It's the 1P that's on 6.0.1

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

@danielpolo Unfortunately, you need Android 6.x in order for 1Password's fingerprint unlock to function. Fortunately for you, the Galaxy S6 is scheduled to be receiving Android 6.x within the next few months. It's already rolling out to S6 owners in Poland and the UK. The US usually follows within a few months.

• Ah, I see now @danielpolo! Thank you for clearing that up. There are too many operating systems and apps at version 6 it appears :)

@EnerJi is absolutely right, you need to upgrade to Android 6 before you can use your fingerprint scanner on your Galaxy. Hopefully it happens soon!

This discussion has been closed.