Can't log in, wrong account key prompt

Options

I setup a 1Password team account for our team this morning and started getting things setup. I'm setup with the desktop app as are a number of other users. I closed out of the web app, and on trying to log back in it's requesting my Account Key, but the 9 char prompt for my account key is incorrect (based on the emergency kit and the mac app) so it will not let me submit the form.

(Additionally, another coworker who setup a separate personal team account is reporting the same issue, but with a different account key prompt)

1Password Version: 5.5.BETA-17
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nathanows
    nathanows
    Community Member
    Options

Quick update... I was able to successfully login using my account key (from emergency kit / mac app) by opening an incognito window. Not a good long term solution, but works for now.

• Hi @nathanows

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the account key in the web app. Could you please double check both the URL and email address that you are using when signing in. If those are incorrect then you might see the incorrect Account Key prompt. It can be rather confusing to be honest and we'll need to improve the UI there. I would be curious to see if this is the problem you are having though.

Thanks
    -Jeff

• nathanows
    nathanows
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Jeff Shiner ,

Yeah, the url and email address are both correct (I was able to login with the same url/email in incognito mode). Two other users in our office have also ran in to this same issue (one has another 1password team account, the other has only this account).

• ferthalangur
    ferthalangur
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jeff Shiner,

I am having similar issues. I try to log in with a newly created account, and the Account Key prefix prompt does not match what is printed in my Emergency Kit. I'm using the right email addess and the correct password.

• ferthalangur
    ferthalangur
    Community Member
    Options

My co-worker is having the same problem. Has not been able to confirm his account because the Account Key that 1Password is prompting for does not match what he has.

• sjz
    sjz
    Community Member
    Options

I am also unable to login to my account. The recovery key that I downloaded is different than the one requested on the sign-in page. The e-mail address and web address are accurate - I double checked/copied from the emergency kit pdf.

• I am still trying to reproduce this (unsuccessfully so far unfortunately) so we can determine the fix. However, a few others have mentioned that by clearing the cache or opening in an incognito window and entering the correct e-mail, Master Password and account key will successfully sign you in.

Jeff

• sjz
    sjz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jeff

Thanks so much for your response. I just tried flushing the cache, opening a regular tab (and then flushing the cache again and trying with an incognito tab when that didn't work), copying and pasting directly from the emergency sheet. No luck with any of this. The account key I have on my emergency sheet is very different from the one being asked for.

Zack

• ferthalangur
    ferthalangur
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jeff Shiner

Your recommendation (in DM) seems to have solved the problem. I had the site administrator re-send the invitation and re-accepted and then things work.

I have a couple of recommendations for the sign-up information flow, because it is a little confusing right now, even for sophisticated users ...

• People tend to rush through things. After choosing a user name and a strong passwod, and Before having them download the Account Key in the Emergency Kit, you should display an interim screen that
    1. Tells them to protect their Account Key as they would their Master Password.
    2. Tells them that folks at 1Password don't have access to the Account Key [that is documented elsewhere, but they should get that burned into their minds before they can misplace or forget it]
    3. Displays the Account Key in a decent-sized font.
    4. Tell the user that they will need that Account Key every time they register a new browser or device, including their first sign-in to the site, so they should probably copy it into their paste buffer before they continue.
    5. Explain the Emergency Kit in more detail (it is self-documenting once you print it out and write your password on it, but from what is written on-screen it seems to imply that everything I'll need is in that PDF). Some of my hasty users did not even realize that they had a PDF downloaded.
    6. Give them a button that says "I've read everything above and I understand".
    7. When they click on the button, take them to a screen that is exactly the same screen with "This is really important ... make sure you read it!" at the top, and then give them a button to click through to download the Emergency Kit.
    8. Continue as usual from there.

OK ... Step #7 is probably not going to happen, but it will fix the "Just keep clicking on the Next button until I'm finished" syndrome that is pervasive these days.

• Put up the recommendation you gave me (Have Team Admin check console to see if they have successfully activated to the team; if not, re-send the invitation and have them start the process over, etc.)
  • Hi @ferthalangur ,

Thanks for the suggestions. We are still actively discussing how to improve the sign-in process to ensure users keep their account key information, and these suggestions will come in handy.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• sjz
    sjz
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Kevin,

I successfully logged into my account. The way I did this was to go back to the 1Password for teams welcome e-mail, click the link and start the process over again.

Thanks for you help. Looking forward to getting started.

Zack

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi Zack ( @sjz ),

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get logged into your account. Thanks for letting us know what worked. :)

We look forward to hearing your feedback about 1Password for Teams now that you're all set up!

• sjz
    sjz
    Community Member
    Options

You bet, Megan. I have been waiting for the ability to curate vaults in this way for a while. Thanks for making it happen.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome. We're excited too! You ain't seen nothin' yet. ;)

• garycalvin
    garycalvin
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same problem, but was able to work around it as Zack did, by going back to the welcome email and starting over.

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for reporting that, @garycalvin.

Would you mind letting us know what browser you were using?

• rob_m1
    rob_m1
    Community Member
    Options

add us to the list of people with misprompted account keys... can't log into team via prefs in the OSX app. Eeverything is correct and we are using the key from our e-kit but the app insists the starting characters are incorrect. What a mess! Between this and broken sync I'm about to give up on 1password!

• julie-tx
    julie-tx
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rob_m1 -

I tried looking your email address up in the Teams admin console to see if there was something tricky about your domain name that might be causing you issues.

We have seen problems where subtle errors in entering an email address or domain name caused the "incorrect account key" to be displayed. If you contact us at the support email address from your 1Password for Teams email address we may be able to guide you to find the correct email address, domain name, or whatever else is causing you problems.

• rob_m1
    rob_m1
    Community Member
    Options

if I use QR to fill the form it works.
    however, if I cut and paste is does not. if manually type it does not work. tried umpteen times. still get the "your key should start with blah blah blah" error. i'm guessing the key is derived in part from account info but am having trouble working backwards to see what it might be looking for. i've given up as it sounds like the teams thing is going to be a subscription model.

• julie-tx
    julie-tx
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rob_m1 -

That it works correctly from the QR code indicates there is something particular about your email address or domain name that's not being entered on the keyboard or copy via cut and paste exactly as it is in the QR code.

That said, you are correct. 1Password for Teams is going to be a subscription service. It will include all of the native applications, and any future updates, as part of that subscription. That includes all of the supported platforms as well - Android, iOS, OS X and Windows - as well as devices such as the Apple Watch, which currently requires the "Pro" features upgrade.

• roustem
    edited February 2016
    Options

@rob_m1 Could you help us to track this issue? If you could tell us the domain of your team then I will be able to check our database and logs and see if there is anything out of the ordinary.

• rob_m1
    rob_m1
    Community Member
    Options

appreciate your attentiveness. have abandoned "teams" as we have no interest in a subsequent subscription committment. as you point out suspect problem arose from input fields in the client.

• ssoroka
    ssoroka
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Okay. If you need anything in the future, we're happy to help.

Steven

This discussion has been closed.