I have 1password 3 (single) license. I have a new computer and iphone, how to install both?

I have the registration # (license) for my 1password that I had on my old macbook, old iphone and ipad. I have a new macbook air, and new iphone 5c. Still have the old ipad but it is dying! How can I install on my new stuff? Everything that I find is for new purchase.

Comments

• templetonginny
    templetonginny
    Community Member

Can you help me please, I didn't find my answer on any forum. Thanks Ginny

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @templetonginny,

As far as 1Password 3 for Mac goes, if you have your licence key then all you should need to do to install the 1Password application on your new Mac is download 1Password 3 for Mac from the legacy section of our AgileBits Download page and when it asks enter the licence key.

If you have a new MacBook Air though I would guess it came with OS X 10.11 AKA El Capitan. 1Password 3 is a few years old now and isn't fully compatible with the changes made since Mountain Lion, the last version of OS X where 1Password 3 was still being updated. I would recommend reviewing our post 1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X. 1Password 3 for Mac kind of still works but there are definite cracks appearing when attempting to use it with the latest version of OS X and browsers.

As for your iOS devices, I'm guessing you're referring to version 3 of 1Password for iOS which went under the names 1Password for iPhone, 1Password for iPad and 1Password Pro. None are available to new customers and so aren't visible in the App Store on your iOS device unless you search your Purchased items. In there you should still be able to see 1Password but similar to the Mac, 1Password 3 doesn't work as reliably with iOS 9 as it was never written for it. It kind of still works but it can crash a lot too. You can download the basic version of 1Password 6 for iOS for free from the App Store and if you want you can check out the Pro Features that are behind an in-app purchase. They are optional though and no purchase is necessary on iOS.

So you're likely looking at purchasing a new licence for 1Password for Mac which you can do at a discounted rate via our Upgrades for Existing Licence Owners page and a move to 1Password 6 for iOS with or without the Pro features depending on your needs.

Now all of this so far has simply been about the licensing aspect. If you use Dropbox to sync then your vault is in Dropbox and your new Apple devices with the new copies of 1Password should see it. 1Password for Mac should say it's found the Agile Keychain and ask if you want to use it while our Existing 1Password user (iOS) page should help with the iOS side. If you're not using Dropbox then you may want assistance in the transition which we'll happily do.

Please do let us know if this helped or not or if you wish guidance in moving your 1Password data from the old Mac to the new one.

• templetonginny
    templetonginny
    Community Member

Thank you very much, I went with the upgrade 1password 6 bundle for mac and windows so I can put it on my windows computer as well. First things first. I got it installed ok but I will need to know how to move my info from my old mac 1password to this one.

2) I'm not sure why the key is not up there in the right corner like it used to be.

3) In a few of my accounts I have to enter my log in first and then enter the password. I can't seem to do that as it wants to just fill in the password.

4) Can and how do I use it on Safari and Firefox? Chrome is my default that I usually use but I sometimes must go to Safari and Firefox for some of my things.

5) Where can I figure out how to use the mimi password, I don't understand how it works at all.

6) lastly, you said that now i need to go and purchase 1password for my iphone and my ipad? Because as you explained earlier it is really malfunctioning on my ipad.

Thank you, Ginny

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you very much, I went with the upgrade 1password 6 bundle for mac and windows so I can put it on my windows computer as well. First things first. I got it installed ok but I will need to know how to move my info from my old mac 1password to this one.

@templetonginny: Sounds good. We'll get this sorted out for you. ;)

2) I'm not sure why the key is not up there in the right corner like it used to be.

The new 1Password extension is a 'keyhole' icon. Make sure you install it along with the app:

1Password downloads

3) In a few of my accounts I have to enter my log in first and then enter the password. I can't seem to do that as it wants to just fill in the password.

Can you give an example? Knowing the URL (in addition to the exact steps you're taking) will allow us to test it ourselves and offer a workaround.

4) Can and how do I use it on Safari and Firefox? Chrome is my default that I usually use but I sometimes must go to Safari and Firefox for some of my things.

No problem! Just install the 1Password extension in each browser:

1Password browser extensions

5) Where can I figure out how to use the mimi password, I don't understand how it works at all.

1Password mini is a 'keyhole' icon in the menubar at the top of the screen on your Mac. You can click it (or press ⌘ ⌥ \) to open it and search for items in your 1Password vault. It's also what allows the browser extensions to work when they're installed, running in the background to be ready when you need it.

6) lastly, you said that now i need to go and purchase 1password for my iphone and my ipad? Because as you explained earlier it is really malfunctioning on my ipad.
    Thank you, Ginny

1Password for iOS is a free download with an in-app purchase if you want the Pro Features. I'd encourage you to install it and use it on your iPhone and iPad. No need to buy the upgrade right off. For some folks, the basic features are enough, and you can always upgrade at any time if you decide that some of the Pro stuff appeals to you.

You can also sync your vault between devices. That brings us back around to the beginning: if you can tell us where you have your vault now (OS and 1Password versions), we can help you figure out the best way to get your data into the new apps. Thanks in advance! :)

• templetonginny
    templetonginny
    Community Member

Ok, I'm not having much luck.
    As for the question in 3) I go to www.desertschools.org and need to log in. I have set up the 1password for the log in, and set up another for the password on the second page after I have signed in. It's a Two step process. Problem now is I'm doing something wrong because I can't get it to fill in.
    I'm not sure if I have everything that you mentioned installed correctly! Do I still have to do something with extensions?
    I've been staring at this for days and not getting anywhere! Is there someone I can talk to on the phone to walk me thru this or can you do something like get in and see my screen and do this for me? Go to meeting chat or something???

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @templetonginny,

If you're unsure let's start with diagnostic report as we'll be able to see where and what version of the extension you have installed :smile:

I would like you to create a Diagnostic Report please. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

Once we've confirmed the extension is installed in your preferred browsers then I'm confident that we can help you with www.desertschools.org. I just tried creating what I would refer to as a basic Login item, one you create from inside the main 1Password window and it successfully filled both the username and then the password so both pages from the one Login item. I'm confident we can help :smile:

This discussion has been closed.