Not able to WiFi sync my Android phone with PC anymore

rationaloutlook
rationaloutlook
Community Member

I have an Android 5.1 phone with 1Password Beta installed. I used to sync my vault (.opvault format) using Wi-Fi sync, but now I'm told this by the app: "Please enable Wi-Fi on your device."

I have tested it for two cases:
1. Phone connected to a Connectify hotspot created by the PC
2. PC connected to a hotspot created by the phone

1Password Version: 6.0.b3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1511
Sync Type: Wi-Fi
Referrer: forum-search:please enable wifi on your device

Comments

• I’m sorry to hear Wi-Fi sync has stopped working for you. Let’s figure out what’s going on. Could you confirm if syncing on the same network without Connectify Hotspot helps?

• rationaloutlook
    rationaloutlook
    Community Member

@saad The network is created by the Connectify itself. There is no other network. I'm talking about syncing in a situation when there is no external Wi-Fi network available, and I have to create a hotspot from my PC itself (or in other case, create a hotspot from my phone).

• @rationaloutlook I appreciate the clarification! :) I’m curious to find out if Connectify Hotspot is what is blocking the connection between your PC and phone for Wi-Fi sync. It could also be something else that is interfering with sync, but I like to first make sure that it is not your network that's causing this problem. Do you have access to a Wi-Fi network that is not a hotspot?

• rationaloutlook
    rationaloutlook
    Community Member

@saad Hi, I did have access to a Wi-Fi network created by a router. I tried using it but still faced the same error. Then, I remembered that I'd faced a similar issue a long time ago, and what I'd done was to switch off cellular data and then it was solved. I tried that and it worked this time too!

I think one thing peculiar to my situation was that I was travelling so I did not have any internet on the Connectify hotspot I created -- if there were, cellular data connection would not have been present even if cellular data was turned on. And, I don't think the sync works if I create a hotspot from my phone, in any condition.

• Hi @rationaloutlook. Thanks for the update! This actually sounds like an issue that a few others have reported.

We rely on the Android OS to tell us about the network information the device is connected to. If the operating system tells us only the mobile connection is available, we display the message that you are seeing since Wi-Fi sync requires a Wi-Fi connection.

When your device is connected to multiple network connections, it's really up to the operating system to manage how it handles network traffic. It may use the mobile network if it recognizes the Wi-Fi network does not have access to the Internet. But if the mobile network is not available, then it defaults to the only available network, which is Wi-Fi in your case.

I'll pass your feedback regarding this issue along to the team! :)

This discussion has been closed.