Signing in with Google

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

I understand that its best to use random, unique passwords for every login and that one must never reuse passwords.
So why offer to use Google to login to agilebits... I know lots of sites let you use Google or Facebook or something to login ...but I though this was not a good idea. Am I wrong?

1Password Version: 6.01
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @toasted,

It's a damned good question and I believe the truth is we do want to deactivate that particular option as it isn't an integral feature of the forums. We just need to make sure that if people have been using it that deactivating it doesn't cause them massive amounts of stress as that wouldn't be very nice either. From a personal point of view I agree with you, I'd rather create a unique user account in each place I go rather than attaching everything to another one. We just need to make sure removing the plugin doesn't cause a section of our forum users disruption.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, understood. There are some interesting articles taking about using social login buttons to ease site access problems (search "sign in with google button - why is this good?" for examples) and some comment on what it does to brand.

I reckon the best method to ease login problems is for users to use a good password manager (obviously 1Password) and for a site to apply best practice error handling... but its difficult to unravel when one already has many folk using sub-standard access methods. A bit like trying to convince some folk to use reliable a password manager when those folk have many many sites all set up to use the same email/password pair for access ...you mean I have to change all those passwords? Of course agilebits can progressively move google login users to new accounts as each user accesses the site - but that will cause some disruption

Empathy with your challenge (hindsight is a wonderful thing) but thought I would make mention anyway. Hope you don't mind.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @toasted,

I stand by my first statement, it is a damn good question and they should always be asked :lol:

Oh and you're not wrong about hindsight either :lol:

This discussion has been closed.