Eventual migration path off Families as kids grow up?

Options
iduff
iduff
Community Member

I've been moderately successful getting my wife and late teens/early 20's kids to embrace the need for password security, and to begin to start thinking about using 1Password. Hopefully they're starting to realize "123456" or "password" are just plain dumb. I know I've beaten it into them enough!

Is there a way for my kids to migrate off 1Password Families onto their own stand-alone instances of 1Password once I get them hooked?

1Password Version: Latest
Extension Version: Latest
OS Version: All supported
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Eventual migration path off Families as kids grow up?

Comments

• rob
    Options

Hi, @iduff.

Sure, anyone with a family account is free to create their own account whenever they want, whether that's a family/team account or just purchasing the standalone apps. Unless your family is growing, though, it may be beneficial for everyone to remain on the family account for the sake of recoverability. If someone creates their own account, the account administrators on your account will not be able to help them recover access to their new account.

But yes, if they do want or need to branch off, they can create their own vaults outside of your family account and move all their items over using one of the native client apps.

• iduff
    iduff
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect, thanks! Gives them the choice, free to exercise whenever they want.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Exactly! :)

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

This discussion has been closed.