1PW Anywhere and 1PW for Families

danco
danco
Volunteer Moderator

It has been made clear that 1PW Anywhere is not being maintained, and might fail as Dropbox gets updated, and the suggestion has been to move to 1PW for Teams/Families.

But this isn't an acceptable solution for me and for plenty other people.

I don't have a family, I don't want to share my vault with anyone. But maybe once or twice a year I might want access to a password when I don't have my computer or any of my iOS devices with me. 1PW Anywhere is ideal for this. And for such very occasional use, a subscription is not worth the cost.

Can you suggest any solution to this. At present, staying with Dropbox, the old agilekeychain format, and 1PW Anywhere seems best, but I hope you will consider what can be done for us.

On another matter, I think AgileBits are being a bit naive in suggesting that 1PW for families answers the question "My parents are getting older and I’m the executor of their estate. Will I have access to their accounts when the time comes?"

That is because (at any rate in the UK) the only answer must be "No". The executors need to know that accounts exist, but they do not have any legal access to the accounts once a person has died.

I'm old enough that I am thinking of these issues for my executors. It is true that 1PW for families might help if I became incapacitated,a and a Power of Attorney had to be used. But even then I am not sure that my attorney would be allowed online access to any accounts.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi, @danco.

Thanks for the feedback! I understand where you're coming from, and I don't think we have an answer to that problem right now (maintained and supported web access to passwords for free). 1PasswordAnywhere is web access for free, but it is gradually falling out of the maintained and supported category. 1Password for Teams and Families is maintained and supported web access, but we do not currently offer a free plan, and we can't really discuss potential future plans, unfortunately.

As far as estate executors, we are not implying legal grounds for anything. The idea is simply that if you want your executors to be able to access your accounts, you can do that easily with 1Password for Teams/Families. It's completely voluntary, though, and you have to set it up. There's no way (even if it were legal) for someone to ask us for your data because we can't decrypt it.

I hope that makes sense.

This discussion has been closed.