Bug in managing groups using 1Password for Teams?

Options

We're looking to add more people to the Recovery group on our 1Password Teams vault.

According to the documentation, there's supposed to be a button when managing an individual user to "Manage Groups." However, neither I (as a member of the recovery group), the 1Password Team owner, or administrator are seeing this button on any user's page.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @GKahen! Hmm, where are you looking for that button? I found mine by clicking my team name in the top right, then Admin Console > Team Members > team member's name. On their profile, there should be the following options:

Just click Manage Groups, or click the gear beside Recovery to add them to that one. If things look a bit different for you, feel free to post a screenshot. Just make sure to blur out any sensitive info.

• GKahen
    GKahen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @penderworth,

I've attached two screenshots below, one of another team member's profile and my own (my profile can be identified as the one with the "Recovery" group under the "Groups" heading).

If I understand the documentation correctly, I (as a member of the recovery group) should be able to remove myself or add another user to the group. However, I do not see the "Manage Groups" or gearbox icon that are visible in your screenshot above.

• @GKahen Ah okay, I see where things are mixed up a bit. Only members of the Administrator group can perform that kind of action. If you're a Recovery group member, you can only help folks get back into their accounts if they lose their Emergency Kit. This section of the access control guide should help clarify that. If there's a specific area in the knowledge base that we confused you, please post that with a quote and I'll forward it to our docs team so we can get that sorted out. :)

• GKahen
    GKahen
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth,

I had my 1Password for Teams admin / owner take a picture while looking at her profile - she does not see the button to manage groups either:

• roustem
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi @GKahen,

Thank you for the screenshot! It is certainly a bug on our side -- only Admins and Owners can manage the groups but you also have to be a member of the group to manage it.

We are working on getting this fixed.

For now, can you ask the Admin to make you an Administrator. After that you should be able to add people to Recovery.

Let me know how it turns out for you! Thanks!

• GKahen
    GKahen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @roustem,

Our admin cannot add me to the Administrator or Owner group - the "Manage Groups" button doesn't show up in any user context.

It seems that nobody in our organization can change their group or the groups of other people.

One thing that might be strange in this situation - I was the creator of the 1Password for Teams account. I handed off ownership (assigned to the Owner group) and administrative privileges (assigned to the Administrator group) to our local admin, and removed myself from those groups.

Thanks for all the quick responses!

• Thank you for the detailed description, @GKahen !

It is certainly a bug on our side. I tweaked a few things, please check if the Owner/Administrator is able to make you an Admin now.

• GKahen
    GKahen
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem,

Our admin tried to add me to the Administrator group, but the "Manage Groups" button still doesn't appear.

• Hi @GKahen,

We just deployed a new version and, hopefully, this issue is fixed for you.

Please let me know!

• batoon
    batoon
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi @roustem! The same problem here - no one user from Owner group can assign Owner role to any other user! Please fix this ASAP. And current owner can not delete some vaults.

• GKahen
    GKahen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @roustem,

That last patch worked, thanks!

• roustem
    edited February 2016
    Options

@batoon Thank you for joining the discussions! I couldn't find your account based on your forum email.

Could you send us an email with more details to support@1password.com. We'll do our best to get it fixed asap.

• Thank you for the update, @GKahen !

• betterannamac
    betterannamac
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. I signed up for teams based on the email about using 1Password for families. I am the creator of the group and I do not have the option to manage groups anywhere that I can see.

• rob
    rob
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi, @betterannamac, and welcome to our forum!

For family accounts, there are no groups like there are in team accounts. There are just Members and Owners. When you click on a person in the Admin Console, at the bottom of their page, you should see a button that says "Add to Owners" or "Remove from Owners".

• betterannamac
    betterannamac
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, thanks.

• rob
    Options

You're welcome, @betterannamac! :)

This discussion has been closed.