Username/Email

Options
CBelle
CBelle
Community Member

Is it possible when creating a new login for the 'username/email address' field to be automatically filled with your main email address?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:username automatic completed

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi @CBelle,

1Password does not automatically fill any fields anywhere without being asked to do so. This is by design, for your security.

However, if you have your main email address saved in an Identity item in 1Password, then you can select that Identity from the 1Password mini or extension to fill it quickly.

Another shortcut you could use to avoid typing out your whole email address every time is to use an application like Breevy or TextExpander (which I love) to create a custom keyboard shortcut.

Let us know if you'd like any further explanation of these options, or have any other questions we can answer for you. We're here to help. :)

• rob
    rob
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi, @CBelle.

I happened upon this thread and if I'm reading your question correctly, I think @Vee misunderstood what you were asking. Normally when we talk about "filling fields", we're talking about 1Password's browser extension filling a form on a web page, so that's the direction she took. As she noted, the browser extension never fills information into a web page unless you tell it to.

It sounds, though, like you're asking if you can save a default email address to use as the "username" of any new Login items you create in 1Password. In that case, the answer would be a little different. We still don't provide that feature at this time, but it's not for security reasons. In fact, it doesn't sound like a bad idea, especially if the only way to create items were typing them out in 1Password.

The good news is that typing them out into 1Password isn't the only way! Actually, I hope you're not creating a lot of Login items directly in 1Password. The best way to create a Login is to let 1Password automatically save it for you when you log into a web site. That way 1Password knows more about the page and will be more likely to fill the form correctly the next time you need to sign in.

Anyway, I hope that helps! :)

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for chiming in, @rob! You're absolutely right, I was thinking of the process of creating a new login from within the browser, rather than from scratch in the 1Password main app. Good catch!

AgileBits support: providing answers to questions you didn't even know you were asking (and hopefully the ones you did!). :lol:

• CBelle
    CBelle
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much @vee and @rob!

@rob, you are right, I was referring to when you create a new 'login' when in the 1Password app. It was just a thought as it does crop up every now and then :)

Thanks again both and have a great evening.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're quite welcome, @CBelle! :) I'm glad that, between the two of us, we were able to help.

Thanks again for the suggestion, and we hope you enjoy the rest of your week!

This discussion has been closed.