Where does my sensitive info reside?

Options
gailjohnsonwolf
gailjohnsonwolf
Community Member

In 1PW for Families, do all of my passwords and other information reside in the cloud or ONLY on my computer?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:In 1PW FAM, do all of my passwords and other information reside in the cloud or on my computer?

Comments

• gailjohnsonwolf
    gailjohnsonwolf
    Community Member
    Options

PS....You "talk to a human" button does not work

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey there @gailjohnsonwolf,

In 1Password for Families your data will be saved on any computer you setup with your 1Password for Families account on. And it will also be uploaded to 1Password's servers in an encrypted format as well. This is so all the clients that you are using will be able to sync the the data.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Talk to a human" button. Can you tell me a bit more about that?

Hope this helps

• gailjohnsonwolf
    gailjohnsonwolf
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the information, Nathan. I've been using 1PW for a long time and like it very much. I'd like to try the new Families version, but I'm quite skeptical about having my info on someone else's server. Servers are always being hacked by someone and I just don't trust that my info will be secure.

The "talk to a human" button is at the bottom of the page where you sign up for 1PW For Families. Nothing happens when you click on it, so I'm guessing that it's a broken link or something. Thanks again!

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @gailjohnsonwolf,

Completely understood, AgileBits is a security conscious company and we consider it very important to keep our customer's information secure. In short your data on our servers is all encrypted and even if a hacker was able to access the data they could not decrypt your data. We are active in identifying any security holes in our system.

The talk to a human button is a email link, it's possible that it didn't open for you because you don't have an email client enabled on your computer? It seemed to work for me, it's also possible it was broken when you tried it. Maybe retry. Either way it would send an email to our support system. You may email families@1password.com if you wish to ask something that you don't want public on this forum.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

The link worked perfectly for me, fyi.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Wonderful to hear, @iamecho!

Please let us know if anything else comes up :)

• gailjohnsonwolf
    gailjohnsonwolf
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for your responses! I'll re-think the 1PW for Families option and perhaps give it a try.

• rob
    Options

@gailjohnsonwolf sounds great! 1Password for Families uses the same security infrastructure as 1Password for Teams, which we've documented here if you're interested in more information: https://teams.1password.com/security/

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    Options

Do I have to be online to get my passwords?
    And what happens, when the server is hacked?
    Masc

• jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    Options

As far as I can tell, with 1Password for Teams/Families, data is still synced and stored in the 1Password apps on each of your devices (Mac, iOS, etc), so you don't have to be online to get at your data, but you'll need your devices online to sync up any changes (e.g. if you update a password on your iPhone, it won't get to your Mac until both devices have had a chance to connect to the Internet).

Teams/Families also provides a nice web interface to get at your data from any browser, provided you have the Account Key and Master Password both handy, and are willing to risk typing them into a given web browser (one might be understandably wary of doing this on public computers). 1Password also provided this capability via an HTML file stored in the 1Password data files in Dropbox, but it wasn't highly publicized so I'm sure many didn't even realize it was there.

As for what happens to your data if something is hacked, it seems it's more or less the same answer as storing your data in Dropbox — the hacker would get an encrypted blob of data which would require your Account Key and Master Password to do anything useful with. How much you trust that depends on how much you understand and trust encryption technology, but it's safe to say that unless somebody is willing to subject your data files to extensive and time- and resource-intensive cryptanalysis, your data is quite safe from prying eyes.

• jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, fair enough — just found the thread on that a few minutes ago, in fact. I've used it from time to time, and it's still been there in my Dropbox folder, so I hadn't realized that it was being phased out :) It was useful occasionally "in a pinch" but most of the time my iOS device was handy enough anyway, and my Dropbox password was stored in 1Password, so it kind of defeated the purpose in most cases.

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just to refocus a bit

That's a really great answer @jhollington, thanks very much.

I hope @masc and @gailjohnsonwolf's questions were answered to their satisfaction.

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, the question is answered.
    Thanks a lot.

But I don't know, if I like it, that the vault is stored in the cloud...

• jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    Options

Well, as I said it really comes down to how much you trust the encryption of your data, and how much you trust what Agilebits has to say about the way in which it's handled. I'd argue that the data in Agile's cloud is safer than it is in Dropbox, in the sense that there's probably no easy way to just grab the file from somewhere, but obviously whether you feel that it's safer on your own PC or other devices is another story entirely. One could argue that your home or office computer can be just as easily stolen or compromised as the data in the Agilebits cloud, but the flip side is that at least you have some control over that, and would likely know if it happened.

It's ultimately a personal decision, but in my case I'm quite comfortable knowing that the data stored by Agilebits is very securely encrypted, and am confident in the encryption technologies in use.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @jhollington! We've worked hard to make 1Password accounts as secure as possible.

@masc, I get your reservations. It really is a very personal decision :) We're here for you no matter what you decide!

This discussion has been closed.