The keyboard does not go away in app

beirne
beirne
Community Member

I am using 1Password to get into my bank's app in Android. After entering the password I got logged into the app, but the 1password keyboard did not go away. I hit the X to the right of the Fill Password button and the blue bar went away, but the keyboard remained. It hangs around even if I exit the app or go to the home screen. I finally had to bring up the app list, and when I killed 1password the keyboard went away.

1Password Version: 6.1b2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 5.0
Sync Type: Drobpox
Referrer: forum-search:keyboard does not go away

Comments

• nickjbedford
    nickjbedford
    Community Member

I've also encountered this problem though it's been fairly random. The keyboard becomes semi -unresponsive and doesn't go away after input is no longer required, requiring the screen be locked and unlocked, which fixes it.

Galaxy S6 edge, Android 5.1.1.

• Hi @beirne. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the 1Password keyboard. Is this problem specific to your banking app, or are you noticing it in other apps and in browsers? Also, can you let me know which app it is so that I can test it out on my end?

Are you still having this problem or did it go away after exiting and relaunching 1Password?

@nickjbedford. Have you noticed this on any specific sites or apps? I'd like to test this out on my end.

Thanks!

• beirne
    beirne
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

The problem only happens with my banking app, and it happens every time, even after I exit and kill 1Password.. I'd prefer not to mention my bank on a semi-public web page, but I can send you the name of the app if there is a private way to get it to you.

• @beirne Having an app that allows us to reliably reproduce this behaviour would be great. In order to avoid having you disclose your bank in our forums, I'll send you a private message instead. Thanks for helping us identify the issue!

• jg_akam
    jg_akam
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

I just upgraded to v6.0.1 and immediately ran into this bug the very first time I tried to use 1Password.

Symptom: When I use 1Password to try to insert login info into certain apps, 1Password freezes and/or its custom keyboard remains on-screen. I have to kill the 1Password app to get the keyboard off the screen and get the phone back into a stable state.

I tried nickjbedford's workaround (lock the screen then unlock the screen) but it doesn't help on my phone.

Phone: Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (D5803)
    ROM: stock
    Android version: 4.4.4

Example apps that are affected by the bug:

-American Airlines 4.3 (com.aa.android)
    -Leader Bank 4.7.124 (com.leaderbank.mobile)
    -OpenTable 5.2.0.1551 (com.opentable)

Example apps that are not affected by the bug:

-Discover 7.0.0 (com.discoverfinancial.mobile)
    -Blue Link 3.8.2 (com.stationdm.mobile)
    -My Account 1.14.0.36 (com.comcast.cvs.android)
    -RitzCarlton 2.4.26 (com.usablenet.android.ritzcarlton)
    -Tivo 3.1.0-841080 (com.tivophone.android)

What other information can I provide so that you can fix this?

• Kasi Modem
    Kasi Modem
    Community Member

Hello,

I had this too, it's a new bug since v6 upgrade, I never had it with previous version on same phone and same Android version.
    It randomly happens when you use the function to auto fill login and pass from the 1P keyboard in an app, then the 1P keyboard completely freeze and even when getting back to the home screen let the keyboard on screen.

What I do in that case is open the SMS app or any app that call the keyboard function, and then I can change from the 1P keyboard to the Google keyboard to make it disapear without needed to kill the 1P app. I don't think it happens in specific apps and not others, I think it's quite random.

It happened one time a day last week, which is quite few considering the number of times I open the keyboard. Because I'm french, I spend my time switching from the 1P keyboard when I need autofill to the Google keyboard which is my default one to have french layout.

Sony Xperia Z5C Android 5.0.1 / 1Password 6.0.1

• Thanks for the feedback on reproducing the issue! I'm having trouble getting the issue to occur on my devices, but I will keep trying. One thing that I'm noticing is that all of the reports that I've seen have been from devices running KitKat and Lollipop. I'm not sure if there was a change in behaviour in Marshmallow that is masking the issue there, but I'll focus my testing efforts on KitKat and Lollipop for now.

• Kasi Modem
    Kasi Modem
    Community Member

The problem should certainly be difficult to reproduce with Android M as memory management was quite optimized from Android L. On my Z5C I have to kill few apps regulary if I want to keep it usable, I'm waiting for the M update next month with lot of hope of stability.

• Indeed! Thanks for your patience while we look into this issue. :)

• BBobley
    BBobley
    Community Member

I'm seeing the same issue. For example, when I use my bank app (PNC Bank). Here's what happens:

1) Open Bank app.
    2) Click in login text field and default HTC keyboard appears.
    3) Use Notification pull down menu to switch to 1Password keyboard.
    4) Use 1P keyboard to auto-fill the login information.
    5) I'm now logged into app -- but 1Password keyboard is still there. Won't go away and blocks half the screen.
    6) My workaround is to navigate to a page in the app with a text entry field. Now I can use Notification pull down again to switch back to standard HTC keyboard. Now I can use left arrow button to get keyboard to disappear.

I'm using:

HTC One M7, running Android 5.0.2

• Thank you letting us know this is happening to you as well, @BBobley, and thank you for the additional details.

I must admit that I'm out of my element on this one as I only have a high level understanding of how this works underneath the covers. @mverde wrote the filling code here so I'm going to leave it in his camp :)

As far as I know he hasn't been able to recreate this yet. Hopefully your additional details will help him narrow it down.

This discussion has been closed.