Q: Web access to vaulted data?

Options
rstewart
rstewart
Community Member

I'm not yet a 1Password user (any version), but I'm looking at it, particularly the "... for Families" version as a way to save and share passwords across a bunch of devices our small family uses. We're a family of four, with several Macs, a couple iPads, an Android tablet, 3 Android phones, a couple Chromebooks, and even a couple Linux boxes. I've installed the Mac version of 1Password just to experiment with it and "that other company's" Mac app, and I far prefer 1Password (1Password is far more capable, less buggy, and the UI is much more polished).

In looking through the forums, I've seen several posts regarding Chromebooks and (I think) I understand why to this point Chromebooks have not been supported as a platform for 1Password (lack of a local app through which the Chrome browser extension would have access to the user's vaulted data). With 1Password for Families, do family members have the ability to sign in via the Web (e.g., from a Chromebook or a Linux system) in order to manage their vaulted-and-synced information?

I recognize that would not be as seamless a workflow as a Chrome browser extension (or a Firefox extension on a Linux system) with the ability to work directly with that vaulted/synced information but it would at least provide access in some form until the 1Password wizards developed real ChromeOS support (hint, hint) :).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, you can definitely manage and view passwords via the web browser in 1Password for Families/Teams, although the interface is a bit more limited than using the native Mac app.

In fact, it's not widely publicized and in fact I think is being deprecated, but even the standalone 1Password app has some support for rudimentary web access if you're syncing your vaults via Dropbox — you can log into your Dropbox account and open a "1Password.html" file. It's apparently not generated automatically any more, but there are instructions here on how to enable it by downloading the 1Password.html file manually: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/52596/there-is-no-1password-html-in-1password-agilekeychain-folder

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rstewart!

Thanks for checking out 1Password :) We appreciate your kind words!

With 1Password for Families, do family members have the ability to sign in via the Web (e.g., from a Chromebook or a Linux system) in order to manage their vaulted-and-synced information?

Yes! As @jhollington pointed out, you can log into your 1Password account from an Internet browser on ChromeOS or Linux; you'll just need to copy and paste information instead of being able to use browser extensions to automatically fill fields.

As he also points out, if you did want to sync using Dropbox instead of signing up for 1Password Families, 1PasswordAnywhere is an option. However, this solution makes managing and sharing information much more difficult; I'd discourage trying to attempt it with a family of four, as it would be a logistical headache.

Please let us know if you have any other questions for us :)

• rstewart
    rstewart
    Community Member
    Options

@jhollington and @Aleen Thanks much for your respective responses. I'm going to give 1Password for Families a try!

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@rstewart Keep in mind you will still need the apps to do some things for now in Families. For example, changing your Master Password on an account can only be done on Mac or iOS apps, and not through the web interface. But they have been adding features rapidly (and I'm sure password changing will come) to the web version.

• You're welcome @rstewart. Although @dszp is correct, we're adding more functionality to Families all the time. We love having the native apps around, though, and there are some things that would require a lot more resources to develop without them, like filling in the browser.

This discussion has been closed.