Best workflow for login to families admin website ?

Options
BakkyMan
BakkyMan
Community Member

OK so I'm not yet completely convinced on 1password for families but I'm playing around with it to see if it's going to work out for me and my family. My family and I are currently long time 1password users and we share multiple vaults over Dropbox. There's one thing tripping me up right now: the website login process with the account key.

What is the suggested workflow here ? Do you create a login item in the local 1password app that fills in just the Email & Account key (and you manually add the master-password) or is the intent to store all ? or none ? as a login item in the local 1password app ? I'm not keen on storing all three factors in a vault - it kind of defeats the purpose of having three factors if you put them all in one place (you want to separate this right ?)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rob
    Options

Hi, @BakkyMan, and welcome to our forum!

Thanks for giving 1Password for Families a try. You ask a good question, and it's mostly up to you how you want to handle it. When you first sign into 1Password after you register, your email address and Account Key have already been entered and all you need is your Master Password. Each time after that, it should be the same way. Your email address and Account Key are saved in your browser's local storage so that they can be pre-filled for you.

When you use a new browser, though, you'll need to enter all three of course. Where and how you store those is definitely up to you. Besides having everything printed out and filled in on my Emergency Kit, I personally store all three in a Login item in 1Password. It's a little circular, sure, it's not insecure. If someone can get into your 1Password vault to read your data, what do they need those details for?

You'd likely get slightly different responses about preferred workflow depending on whom you ask, but I think we're all agreed it's safe to store that information inside 1Password assuming you have a good Master Password.

This discussion has been closed.