Some questions about 1PW for families

Options
ntimo
ntimo
Community Member
edited February 2016 in Families

Hello,
as I know 1Pw for teams will get a family plan. Here are my questions:

1. When we completed the quests we could send an email and got an mail back saying that we got 1 month free so will I have the 1 free month + the other 2 free month as an early adopter?
  2. Are the 2GB storage limit for documents per user or per family.
  3. What happens when I run out of these 2GB of storage. Will there be a option to get more?
  4. Can I give a team member read permissions to a vault but deny them write permissions
  5. Will there be an option to add people to the recovery group. So I have to family members how can recover lost passwords.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

6 When will the update be available so that I can "sign up" for 1PW for familys in the admin console of my teams account?

• rob
    Options

Hi, @ntimo. Let me answer these as best I can:

1. Yes, you'll get three months total ($15 credit).
    2. 2 GB storage limit is per family, the whole account.
    3. We're still developing here, but yes, we will likely offer additional space for purchase at some point.
    4. No, family accounts do not allow fine-grained access controls. Giving someone access to a vault gives them read, write, and export abilities.
    5. Right now, Owners are the only ones who can recover members in family accounts. You can add anyone to Owners, but you can't currently give someone recovery ability without adding them to Owners. That is likely to change in the future, but we're starting simple for now.
    6. Anyone who already has a team account will get the early adopter perks when they switch to a family account. I don't have a date for when that "switch" will be available, but it shouldn't be too far away.
  • ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@rob for qustion 2. I personally think that 285 mb for each person if everyone would use it equal is to less. Maybe you could add an option for adding your own storage trough a hosted ftp server or something like this.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@rob I just found a new question in my mind sorry for that. Will I be able as an Admin with access to the admin console to create an vault for lets say my brother that only he can access. So Iam not able to see it. Or will my brother be able to create this own private not shared vault? without admin permissions?

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@rob Is there a difference between my "old" team account? to a newly signup family account? Because I saw that when I click on the signup page it adds a "?type=F" witch I think stands for family, so there has to be a difference or am I wrong?

• rob
    Options

Hi, @ntimo.

I personally think that 285 mb for each person if everyone would use it equal is to less.

For regular documents, 285 MB is a decent amount of space. Obviously, pictures and videos are much larger than license files and text documents and so they'll use up that space a lot more quickly.

Anyway, document storage is a new area for us. We're still figuring out how it's going to work, but I'm sure we'll have news to announce there at some point.

Will I be able as an Admin with access to the admin console to create an vault for lets say my brother that only he can access. So Iam not able to see it. Or will my brother be able to create this own private not shared vault? without admin permissions?

Each person on the account gets a "Personal" vault when they join, and only they can access that vault. It's created automatically so neither you nor your brother needs to worry about making it.

Is there a difference between my "old" team account? to a newly signup family account?

Yes, there is a difference between team accounts and family accounts, but we will be implementing the ability to convert a team account to a family account.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

@rob
    I know about the personal vault. But lets say my brother wants to create an special vault for I don't know his diary. Will he be able to do so without admin permissions? So basically my question is would he be able to create more Vaults that are only accessible by him.

Would I have an advantage when I create a new Family Team and delete the old one?

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@rob I think I will signup for a new family team because I want to change the url of my teams page. Will I than still get the 3 months? The 2+1 from the quest.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nitmo,

Only 1Password Families account owners can create vaults, but just like 1Password Teams, he can put as much as he wants in his Personal vault and only he'll be able to access it :)

If you want to sign up again, you'll still get the three months if you complete the quest!

Please let us know if you have any other questions :)

• prenagha
    prenagha
    Community Member
    Options

All the permission features of Teams would be nice, but the read-only vault access is critical. With families there are children of course, I want them to be able to see items from a shared vault but not be able to (accidentally) delete/edit them.

• Ben
    Options

For this initial release we're trying to keep things pretty simple. That is a point that we may reconsider in the future. I can definitely see how having read-only options for Families could be beneficial without overly complicating things.

Ben

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@rob @bwoodruff I would like to option a create a vault and than give a family member access to it and remove my access so I can only manage the vault. So that the vault is only readable by the family member not be me how created it.

• rob
    Options

@ntimo, that makes sense. We may add that ability in a future update.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

@rob I would love it because without 1Pw for Teams is kind of useless. Because I don't want to give everyone the owner permissions because of the billing details and so on....

• rob
    Options

@ntimo, another option we are considering is allowing anyone on the team to create vaults. Would that be an acceptable solution for you? It sounds like it would.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@rob Oh yes that would be perfect solution. I would love to see this feature! :) :)

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad that'd fit the bill! Let us know if you have any other suggestions :)

• jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    Options

What's kind of interesting here is that @dteare's email which announced Families actually suggested that it would address some of these issues, specifically:

What if I share passwords with my family and they delete them by accident?

Cleary that would suggest the need for a "read-only" vault, would it not?

Further, the quests I'm getting want me to setup a recovery plan, but of course that's not an option without any support for "Groups" in the Families version, so I'm kind of stuck on the last step :)

I definitely like where 1Password for Families is going, and I'm happy to be on board, but I guess it's still a work in progress :)

• rob
    Options

Hi, @jhollington.

Good points! We will likely implement read-only capability at some point. As for the Recovery quest, yeah it's not very clear for family accounts right now, but you can add someone as an Owner ("Add to Owners" button on their page) and they will be able to recover other members.

Early adopters get to see all the wrinkles while we're running the irons. :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@rob I just saw that a new beta of Teams was published but it still lags the support of adding members to the recovery and adding the ability to let members add their own vaults without admin permissions. This isn so important for me but at least the recovery must be added fast because if its missing is is a big security issue for me.

• rob
    Options

Hi, @ntimo.

We try to update the web app every day or two so we can get things that are ready out to customers. We're not quite ready to add Recovery ability outside the group of Owners in family accounts. For now, if you can make another person an Owner, that will be best. We'll see what we can do about non-Owners soon, but I can't promise any timeframe.

The same goes for the ability to create new vaults. I'm not sure when that will be added, but we do plan to do it.

I'm sorry for the holdup, though.

This discussion has been closed.