Can't join as guest

Options
smackie
smackie
Community Member

I'm not sure if this is something I'm doing wrong but I thought I'd check. I've just moved to the Family model (I've been a 1Password user since the very beginning). I normally share vaults via Dropbox. I'm running OS X in a mix of El Cap and Yosemite. Latest 1Password from the App Store.

I have a few admin machines where I'd be able to access my "Sysadmin" vault. Because I really want to hold these machines at arms length, I created a guest account for them and tried to have them join my family group. No dice. I keep on getting told that there's something wrong with the credentials. The credentials do work when I log into the web interface tho'.

Fresh install for the machine that's refusing to join.

Any ideas?

Scott...

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• smackie
    smackie
    Community Member
    Options

I posted an earlier (unanswered) question about problems with guest access. I've decided to give up trying to get the guest stuff to work and instead add the device account as a regular user (and burn a user account :-( ).

The problem I've run into now is that I can't delete the guest (in order to set the same email address up as a real user). I've suspended the account (and removed it from the shared vault before I did) and all I get on the pop-up is the option to un-suspend it. I don't see any method on the UI to allow the guest to be removed. I've searched and haven't found anything (other than a response back in December that said the account had to be suspended first).

I'm getting a bit frustrated. I'd hoped that the Family/Group stuff would help me resolve a few issues with risk partitioning across a bunch of machines but I've spent a bunch of time today getting nowhere. This is especially frustrating as 1Password is usually problem-free for me.

Could someone from Agile please point me at the procedure to delete a guest user?

Cheers

Scott...

1Password Version: 6.0.2
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.11.3
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• smackie
    smackie
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm. I managed to delete my device@smackie.org guest user this morning (after working thru' suspending and unhooking it from the sysadmin vault). The account is gone and marked as deleted if you try to log in from the web UI.

However, if I try to resend an invitation as a "real" family user, it tells me the user exists for that email. Is this a bug or just a lag in the backend processing for deletes?

Cheers

Scott...

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smackie,

I've merged your two topics so that we can help you out all in one place :)

First, please let me apologize for the delay in replying to you; we've been blown away by the enthusiasm for 1Password Families and are working hard to get our response times back to their speedy norms.

I'm sorry for the trouble logging into the guest account you created. I'd really like to try to figure out what went wrong so that I can let our development team know, so I have some questions :)

• How did you add your account to 1Password for Mac? Did you scan your QR code or enter in everything manually?
    • After you set up the guest account, did you use your owner account to confirm the guest account?
    • I took a quick look at your account and I'm showing that you have a deleted guest account. Were you able to get that to work?

I have a few admin machines where I'd be able to access my "Sysadmin" vault. Because I really want to hold these machines at arms length, I created a guest account for them and tried to have them join my family group.

What a great idea! I can see a couple of use cases for doing something like this :)

Thanks so much. I look forward to hearing from you so we can figure out what went wrong.

• smackie
    smackie
    Community Member
    Options

Aleen,

Thanks for the reply! For the original guest login failure, I entered everything manually (the target machine in question is a mac mini :) ). I did confirm the guest account and was able to log into the web interface using the guest credentials. I just couldn't get the mac to join the family group via the 1Password application itself. I tried this a couple of times (and again this morning from scratch) but couldn't get it to work.

I'd be happy to try this again later with a different guest account when I get a chance.

I did manage to delete the guest user. However, the system still thinks it exists under the covers (as I can't resend an full invite to the email address used for the guest).

I think I may have tickled a bug tho'. I did experiment with changing the email address for the guest account before I worked out how delete it. I changed the guest account from "device@smackie.org" to "unused@smackie.org". The web UI thinks "unused@smackie.org" and "device@smackie.org" are both deleted (you can't log in to the web UI with either account). No guest accounts show up in the admin console. However, the admin console still thinks "device@smackie.org" is a active user if you try to issue an "invite".

I suspect that "device@smackie.org" has been orphaned and is kinda in limbo now. :(

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Scott...

• @smackie Well that's very strange. Could you try using the QR code? You'll notice there's a button for it, and we have a virtual reader which is pretty fun to use and might just make you smile. :lol: The guest account should be added like any other member to the app, so it's strange that it won't work for you. I am curious of one thing: Do you already have a member of the account configured in 1Password for Mac on that computer? You can only have one, so please remove any current ones on the account.

I did manage to delete the guest user. However, the system still thinks it exists under the covers (as I can't resend an full invite to the email address used for the guest).

It's getting more and more strange... I wasn't able to reproduce this on my end. What I did was delete the guest, which caused it to still appear in the Guests list, but then I invited the same email address again and went through the usual guest signup process. It worked as expected. Could you try this once more and let us know what happens?

• smackie
    smackie
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

@penderworth Thanks for the reply. I think there's two things going on here.

o Not able to log in

I've had this on two machines now. Both Macs had been running for a very long time (they're servers). Neither of them would join the family when I tried (they gave me the "problem with username, key or password" error). No joy on either a guest account or a regular account. However, when I restarted each of the machines, they joined first time when I entered the credentials again. No problem with the manually entered credentials so I don't think that's the problem - sounds like it's something in the underlying connection/authentication support. Is there an underlying XPC service that might have restarted after the reboot?

o Phantom user after delete

This one is definitely seems like a back-end bug. Try this

• Create a guest user for email address A. Complete the acknowledgement and approval and log in as A
    • Change the guest user's email address A to a new address B. Validate the address B
    • Delete the guest user (using email address B )
    • Try and add the original email address A as a regular user

My bet is that you'll get an error saying that A already exists and that it can't send the invite

Hope this helps!

Scott...

• rob
    Options

Hi, Scott (@smackie).

I've been looking through our records, code, and logs, and I'm a bit puzzled too. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue, but I could tell from the logs that you tried to send the invitation to the first email address several times unsuccessfully, after the email address had been changed.

It seems like it was some kind of persistent cache issue. Could you try again now and see if you're having the same issue?

As for the sign in from the servers failing until reboot, there's nothing weird going on that a reboot would have fixed. There's no XPC, it's just a series of requests between the page and the server. I found logs for that issue as well, and it just indicated an authentication failure.

I'm sorry you're hitting these phantom bugs. I don't know what to tell you without being able to reproduce the issues on our end. :(

• smackie
    smackie
    Community Member
    Options

@rob - thanks for the reply. Just tried to re-send the invite to "device@smackie.og" and it worked (!) so I think you're probably right with the caching issue.

I've updated most of my machines now to use the "sysadmin" login for sharing basic system passwords. If I run into the network authentication problem again, I'll leave the problem alone and open a new discussion on the forum to track it. We might be able to extract some kind of debugging info before I reboot.

Btw, now that I have everything ticking along, I'm very happy with how the system works. It's great to be able to partition the vaults up across distinct users like this. It really gives great control over the risk management.

Many thanks to everyone at AgileBits for their help...

• rob
    Options

That's awesome, and a very creative use of the system. :) Thanks for trying it out and sharing your workflow, @smackie!

This discussion has been closed.