Can not choose secondary vault from locked screen

Options
chinamax
chinamax
Community Member

I'm not sure when this started happening, but I can not choose a secondary vault from the lock screen. Perhaps it started about 3 weeks ago. In the past I could click on the icon of the key hole and then choose the vault I want. Now I don't have that option. Just the main account is all I have access to. Once I get into the main account, then I choose the secondary vault.

The secondary vault is used by my front desk person and has the passwords she needs for the sites she visits. Prior to this she could choose her vault from the log on screen. At the moment I'm giving her access via my main vault, but this a poor work around.

Suggestions?
Thanks
Michael

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb-search:secondary vault

Comments

• antocri
    antocri
    Community Member
    Options

The same happen to me. I need to solbe the problema asap beacuse my wife needs her vault to work.
    Any suggestions? Thank you
    Antonio

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@chinamax and @antocri I strongly suspect the issue is related to that discussed in this very long thread. See, for example, this AgileBits' post in that thread.

Stephen

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member
    Options

Oh boy. Yes, this does indeed cover the issue. I'm surprised Agilebits would remove such a key function. Hopefully with all the hew and cry they will put it back in.

• Hi @antocri and @chinamax ,

Unfortunately it was necessary to remove that functionality to improve the underlying security of 1Password. However, we have received a lot of passionate feedback to see that functionality returned, and yes, we are considering it. Should we bring it back, it would have to fit in with our updated security architecture so should be bring it back, it may take some time.

Thank you for using 1Password and sending us this feedback. We value user feedback greatly; especially when making improvements to the product!

Regards,
    Kevin

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_kevin, I really appreciate Agilebits looking out for security. And I like to think of myself as a loyal customer. I do hope that ya'll will be able to remedy this issue, as I can live for a while without synching between my office computer and other devices, but it is not a long term sustainable solution.
    Quick question-- If I downgrade all my computers to Version 5 and use dropbox to synch, then everything would stay in synch, is that right?
    Thanks, Michael

• Hi @chinamax,

The format for Dropbox has not changed, so it should continue to sync. Before you downgrade, make sure all of your vaults are synced up.

I also invite you to look into 1Password for Teams, if you haven't already. This is a service hosted by us, and provides a lot of additional security features for working with other members of a business or team. By providing the service for hosting the data, we can provide team features that Dropbox or iCloud can not. More information is available here: https://teams.1password.com

Thank you so much for using 1Password and for providing feedback!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member
    Options

I understand that 1password for teams would be a work around. But that means incurring a reoccurring cost for what used to be a feature in a product I know and have been loyal to since 2008.
    Honestly, it feels a bit like a bait and switch.
    I understand that SaaS makes sense from a cash flow point of view. And I've not problem with Agilebits making a good profit and livelihood for all involved.

For my situation the old way 1password worked was plenty good. And secure enough.
    Again, I appreciate ya'll looking out for my computer security. But for my situation, the slightly lower level of security, combined with the way it used to work was plenty good.

Thanks
    Michael

• Hi @chinamax,

I want to assure you that I mentioned 1Password for Teams just in case you were interested in more workgroup features. I can promise you that the removal of this feature was not related to 1Password for Teams. We are still re-evaluating bringing back this issue as it will have to be designed differently due to the improvements to the underlying security improvements. It's still too early to give more details but rest assured we're aware of the demand.

Again, thank you so much for your feedback. We really appreciate it!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member
    Options

Again I understand. But from my business's point of view. 1Password is now broken.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chinamax,

I am sorry to hear that you're feeling frustrated with 1Password right now. I'm not sure I can give you a better answer than the others in this thread, but I wanted to follow up on something to see if we could find a workaround for your team while we explore our options here.

If you have a moment to chat about this, I'd be curious to learn more about your office set up. You mentioned that your front desk person accesses a secondary vault for the information they need to do their job. Is the computer at the front desk used by multiple people? Or does that computer only need access to the secondary vault? Not every computer in the office needs to be set up with the same configuration of vaults. We might be able to find a solution here that gives everyone the access they need, without access that they don't.

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan,
    Thanks for reaching out!

I have one computer at my front desk. The front desk person uses it to schedule people, take payments and enter sales into the account software. There is a secondary vault that has the passwords for those programs/services.

I also use that computer and have access to my complete and ridiculously long list of passwords.

Right now I have to give her my password to get into the passwords for the very few programs she needs access to. Plus she has access to my credit cards and personal information as well. I think you can see how this is a problem for me.

If you have a solution. Please, share it with me. Thanks.
    M

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chinamax,

Thanks so much for getting back to me! My suggestion was going to be to install only the secondary vault on that computer, so that your front desk person would have access only to their vault. Since the computer is shared, it does complicate matters a bit, but I do have a workaround that will keep your data private.

Have you considered setting up separate user accounts on the Mac? With fast user switching (just click on the user's name in the menu bar) it's a fairly simple process to move back and forth between accounts. And each account can be set up with a unique instance of 1Password, with a unique configuration of vaults.

If this seems like a reasonable compromise (for the time being), I'd be happy to walk you through the process of setting it up.

I do want to reassure you that we are listening to all of this feedback and investigating ways that we can improve multiple vaults, but I hope that this workaround will help.

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member
    Options

HI Megan

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately doing the second user account makes for a very stilted work flow. Not really an option.

I think for now I'll just downgrade to V.5.

thanks again for your help
    M

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. Thank you for the feedback, @chinamax. :)

Ben

• deetatee
    deetatee
    Community Member
    Options

I think this has made the program much less secure as My staff who could open the secondary vault with their password for their logins now have to have access to my primary password giving them access to all of my banking passwords etc which is extremely dangerous. I originally purchased this service for this secondary vault system and I now don't have it.

• Hi @deetatee ,

If I may ask, and I'm only doing so because I may have a solution for you, does your staff use the same user account on the same Mac that you use?

There may be two ways to solve your problem:

1. If your staff use the same Mac as you do, you could create separate user accounts in OS X for your staff members, and then share only the secondary vault with them.
    2. If your staff use a different Mac, you can stop sharing your Primary vault with them. You could just share the secondary vault with them.

If either of the above two scenarios will work in your situation, please let us know. And we'll be more than happy to help you set it up.

Regards,
    Kevin

• deetatee
    deetatee
    Community Member
    Options

We all share computers, how clunky is having seperate user accounts? will it effect files, apps etc if i ever delete a user account?

• Hi @deetatee,

If every user has their own account, they have their own space for files, and settings. So if a user account is deleted, only their files and settings will get deleted. If each user uses the same files, there is a "/Users/Shared" folder on each Mac to put shared files where everyone can access them, and they would not be deleted if you delete a user account. You would have to decide if that's a good fit for you, but I did want to make you aware of the other options available.

Regards,
    Kevin

• deetatee
    deetatee
    Community Member
    Options

We use Dropbox and an external drive so nothing other than apps are on the computer. Will the apps be available to all users? If you can let me know how to set this up I can give it a try.

• Hi @deetatee,

OS X was designed with multiple user accounts in mind. Yes, you can absolutely use your apps with all users on the computer. Here's an article from Apple on how to set it up: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21994?locale=en_US

After you set up those users, you'll need to launch Dropbox and log in for each user account.

And the nice thing about this is, as long as you keep your existing user, you can always go back to that user if you don't like it.

Feel free to reply if you have further questions.

Regards,
    Kevin

• deetatee
    deetatee
    Community Member
    Options

I have had to set up just one main admin user as 1 - its extremely time consuming setting up everything again for a new user and 2 - dropbox ect only have limited users so it will max out our user allowance so making this a very expensive option to then pay for more users. I have now done this so how do I set up the passwords I would like to share for the admin user.

• Hi @deetatee,

Here's what you're going to want to do. It's a process that should only take a few minutes to do.

On the non-admin user, the one whose passwords you want to share with the admin:

• Setup 1Password, create a new vault.
    • Setup Dropbox sync. This should create a file in Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault
    • In Finder, go to Dropbox/Apps/. Select the 1Password folder,
    • Right click on the "1Password" folder, and there should be (dropbox) Share... menu item. On my system it didn't show up right away. I had to right click a second time for it to show up... not sure what's going on there. Click that which will bring you to the Dropbox site.
    • Dropbox will ask you who you want to share that with, put in the email address of the admin user's dropbox account.

That should be all that you need to do for this user.

Now on the admin user's account:

• Login to the OS X account
    • Go into Dropbox, and you should see a new Dropbox/1Password folder that shows up, as that's the shared folder that we just setup. You can rename that to make it clearer who it comes from, or move it around as long as it stays within dropbox itself. Just remember what you did here as you'll need it in a few steps.
    • Open 1Password and unlock it
    • Use the 1Password > New Personal Vault... menu item. Create a new vault and name it appropriately to indicate that these are the passwords of the non-admin.
    • Go to Preferences > Sync, and choose that new vault in the left side bar. Indicate that you'd like to sync with Dropbox. It's going to ask you to select your Dropbox folder. Instead of selecting your Dropbox folder, I want you to go into your Dropbox folder and find that shared folder we had, and the opvault file that's in it. Select that and click OK.
    • It should ask you to enter in the Master Password of that other account.
    • That should be it. It should then import all items and things should now sync seamlessly between the two.

If you have trouble with any of this, please let us know. We're happy to help.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.