Master Password not changing on my Mac Book Air

Options
Scot_Townsend
Scot_Townsend
Community Member

Hi,

I am running 1Password on my Iphone, MacBook Air (OS X 10.9.5), and Windows 7 on Bootcamp on the same MacBook Air.
I am using Dropbox to synsc 1password between all OS
I changed the master password in Windows 7, expecting the master password would change in OS X. This does not appear to have happen on the OS X 10.9.5 running v4.4.3, the master password did change on my Iphone.

Help, I do not remember my orginal Master Password and now cannot access 1 password on my Mac. I have checked the Dropbox folder and it appears to have the updated syncs

Thanks

Scot

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.9.5
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Scot_Townsend,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Be sure to unlock 1Password with your old Master Password first. Then 1Password can sync, and the new Master Password will go into effect.

1Password can't know about the new Master Password unless it syncs. And it can't sync unless it is unlocked. And it can't be unlocked without the current Master Password since it doesn't know about the new one yet.

Let me know if that helps! And if you are interested in the geeky details:

How 1Password syncs changes to your Master Password

• Scot_Townsend
    Scot_Townsend
    Community Member
    Options

So I need to open on the old password first on all platforms (iPhone, Windows 7 & OS X) before the new password can become active. Ok I do not know my old password, but can access 1password on my phone and Windows 7 with my new password. What can I do to get 1password working on my Mac?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Scot_Townsend,

Ok I do not know my old password, but can access 1password on my phone and Windows 7 with my new password.

Before changing your master password in 1Password for Windows, you would have needed to unlock your vault with the old master password - unless you somehow kept it unlocked long enough to forget the old master password for that vault?

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you were able to unlock 1Password on your Mac? You would have needed to enter the old master password to do that.

What can I do to get 1password working on my Mac?

If you've forgotten your old master password and cannot unlock 1Password on your Mac, you'll need to reset 1Password for Mac by following the steps here: How do I start over with an empty vault?

After you do that, open 1Password on your Mac and you'll be able to set it up by syncing your vault from Dropbox (which should require the new master password). We have steps to walk you through that in this section of the user guide.

Let us know how it goes, and if you have any questions about that. Thanks! :)

• Scot_Townsend
    Scot_Townsend
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I will try this process. I have not use my Mac for a least 4 months and have not access 1password for that time on the Mac. I though changing the master password in one OS would change them all.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @Scot_Townsend!

I though changing the master password in one OS would change them all.

It does, but as Khad said:

1Password can't know about the new Master Password unless it syncs. And it can't sync unless it is unlocked. And it can't be unlocked without the current Master Password since it doesn't know about the new one yet.

Hopefully it all goes well when you reset 1Password on your Mac, but we're here for you if you have more questions about that. :)

• theclone19
    theclone19
    Community Member
    Options

Having similar issue, I'll change password, close 1password, click it back open using new "changed" password. Works fine until I close 1password down,reopen with old password- guess what? 1password opened with old password! I close 1password, reopen using new "changed" password & it's the incorrect password, wt? I have restarted computer, done numerous combinations of logging in 2,3,5 times with "changed" password but then I log in using old password, it not only superseded the current "changed" password, it took over not allowing "changed" password to work anymore! Please help, cable guy just left & he seen my password over my shoulder, this is not secure!

• @theclone19 Sorry about that! Do you happen to have more than one copy of 1Password installed? Or did you have the Mac App Store version at one point, then switch to the AgileBits Store version (or vice versa)? Also, are you syncing your data anywhere currently, and does the Master Password change on your other devices or stay the same?

• theclone19
    theclone19
    Community Member
    Options

I had my old 1password 3.8.22 b32010 installed along side the current version (6). Sent 3.8.22 app to the trash bin then immediately deleted it from there & restarted. 3.8.22 had a totally different vault password than 1password 6. Problem still exists. I was using the 1password 6 free trial until it expired then finally paid for the license. No telling how long this has been going, kinda stumbled onto it.

• theclone19
    theclone19
    Community Member
    Options

It's possible I went from app store & I'm sure I purchased from AgileBits website.

• @theclone19 Thanks for the update. To get a better idea of what's happening, could you please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac?

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once you send the email, post back here with the BitBot confirmation number you receive a few minutes after sending. That will help us connect the dots. :)

This discussion has been closed.