Changing from standard 1p to families?

Options
telUK
telUK
Community Member

Hi

If I switch to a family 1p service is it best to stop dropbox syncing and just use the new syncing service for this?

Also is it easy to switch, would I need to remove 1p 6.1 or would that still work.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    Options

That's basically what I've done.

However, it's important to note that the Families service will create a new set of vaults in your 1Password apps. Your old "Primary" vault that you were syncing via Dropbox (or iCloud, or whatever) will remain in place, and still contain everything that it did before. In other words, your "Families" vaults get added to 1Password, they don't replace anything.

If you want to stop syncing via Dropbox or iCloud, you'd basically need to manually move everything over from your existing "Primary" vault into your new Families Personal or Shared vaults (or another vault if you've created additional ones). This can be done en masse from the Mac app pretty easily — just "select all" right click, and choose the "Move" option from the "Share" menu — but unfortunately I think it's still a one-item-at-a-time process if you're using the iOS apps.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @telUK,

@jhollington's pretty on top of things :)

1Password Families works with our existing set of apps. Vaults stay up to date automatically--no sync setup is required. Just sign in to your 1Password account and we take care of the rest.

You can move your existing items over to Families if you'd like, or use 1Password Families in addition to your current setup. It's totally up to you.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thanks both.

If I moved everything from my existing primary vault to families, be it to personal or shared could I then delete the old primary vault or at least remove the contents or stop the syncing process, as I would not want or need to have syncing your server side and with my current sync method?

Also how does my current 1p master password work with families, do I need to create a new password that is shared or do we all keep our original or in some cases a new password?

Thanks

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @telUK!

There's currently no way to delete your old Primary vault, but you can delete all of your items once you're absolutely sure you've moved them all over. To do so, highlight the items you'd like to remove, hit delete on your keyboard, then confirm that you're sure you want to remove them.

You and your family members will all have separate accounts. Set yours up (you can use the same Master Password you use now or come up with a new one), then invite your family members to your team. They can set up their 1Password accounts however they wish, with whatever password they want :)

I hope this helps!

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Aleen

Thank you, also another thing that had me thinking was does everyone I invite to 1p families get there own actual app like I currently have with just the standalone 1p license or is 1p families all website based?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @telUK,

Anyone with a 1Password for Families account can use our apps to access that account.

From the 1Password for Families website:

All our apps and upgrades are included with your subscription. You can download the apps from our site and sign right in to your account. No need for licenses!

You can certainly use the website too, but the experience is best when using the native apps. :)

Ben

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I much prefer to use the app and 1p extension than a web based program, so thats good.

If I sign up, I understand there is a free trial period, will I need to enter my card credentials straight away, or can I wait until the trial ends?

Also if I decide not to continue with families, will my 1p license just revert back to the standard 1p?

Thanks

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

@telUK -

If I sign up, I understand there is a free trial period, will I need to enter my card credentials straight away, or can I wait until the trial ends?

I finally signed up yesterday, so I can report that as of then, no payment information was required. I've seen other posts from AgileBits staff saying that they are still working out details on payments. So at this point, you don't need to provide anything financial at all.

Also if I decide not to continue with families, will my 1p license just revert back to the standard 1p?

Your paid licenses for the standalone applications remain valid.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @telUK,

Seems like hawkmoth and brenty have answered your questions, but let us know if you have more :)

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks everyone. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can't take credit, but on behalf of the helpful folks here, you're most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions. We're here for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.