I've paid a lot of money for 1Password and I don't understand these changes

petevanness
petevanness
Community Member

I paid a whole lot of money for 1Password Pro for my iPhone, iPad, iMac and MacBookAir. You made me buy each one separately. 1 Password offered enough functionality that despite the very high cost, I purchased the app for multiple devices.

I don't understand these changes.

1Password Pro works fine, but why are there multiple vaults and all kinds of other new options?
If I want to put 1Password on my wife's phone, why would I pay for a reoccurring $5/month family plan? Why wouldn't she just use the 1Password app as an independent app? You've made this extremely confusing and your documentation isn't helpful for long time users.

You ask for 1Password versions below, but what device?!?! I have multiple devices. The iOS device doesn't provide information on the version.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:separate vaults, kb:sales-faq, kb:teams-families-migrate, kb:pro-features-faq

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

@petevanness - I am a fellow user like you, so I don't speak officially for AgileBits. But I do know that there is absolutely no requirement for you to use 1Password for Families, unless it suits your needs. Your existing licenses remain valid under the same terms you already know. And AgileBits has promised to continue those kinds of licenses and to support and update the applications for standalone licensees.

why are there multiple vaults and all kinds of other new options?

Like any other software developer wanting to stay current, new features are introduced for users who want them. You certainly don't need to use multiple vaults if you don't want to. You can continue using it just as you have grown used to. For me, the multiple vaults are useful, but it was quite a long time after they were introduced that I began to use them. I have my Primary vault, but now I also have one named Archive - I store obsolete records I want to keep, but seldom use, there.

If I want to put 1Password on my wife's phone, why would I pay for a reoccurring $5/month family plan?

You do not have to do that. It's just that the subscription for Families includes the applications for all family members and all platforms without an extra charge beyond the $5 per month. But you don't have to do that to get 1Password on your wife's phone.

Why wouldn't she just use the 1Password app as an independent app?

She absolutely can do exactly that.

It sounds to me like the best thing for you is to just ignore the introduction of 1Password for Familes and continue using what you have, the way you have used it.

The iOS device doesn't provide information on the version.

Although in your case the version numbers aren't critical to answering your post, the iOS version does show the version number. Open the 1Password preferences by tapping the gear icon. Scroll down a bit and you'll find the version number just under the Option, "Recommend 1Password."

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @petevanness,

It looks like hawkmoth gave you some great answers and suggestions here. I'll just chime in to thank you for using 1Password and say that we're here to help if you have any other questions for us!

• rshonat
    rshonat
    Community Member

As someone who is using 1Password pro to manage passwords for a family of 4, I've been looking for a justification for going to a subscription/cloud coordination model. In the end, it will depend on how AgileBits chooses to market their products...i.e. when they might move entirely to a subscription model. This is somewhat similar to what Adobe did with their Lightroom/Photoshop products. Once they made the subscription model about the same price as buying stand-alone products and effectively made the stand-alone product less useful, it was easy to switch. Right now, we don't know how AgileBits will support their stand-alone products down the road. Right now, I have a working system without any ongoing costs, so there is no incentive to switch. I'm still looking for what $5/month would get me that I don't already have (you keep adding all the features to the stand-alone products)?

• Hi @rshonat,

We're not trying to railroad anyone into Families. We still love our standalone apps, they are what we've built our name on, and they continue to be a large component of what makes 1Password awesome.

We want folks to choose 1Password for Families because it provides value to them beyond what is currently available elsewhere, not because they feel they have no other choice. Some of the things you get with Families:

• Share and sync without the need of a third-party sync service.
    • Deploy new vaults to your family automatically.
    • Easily add family members through a simple to use invitation system.
    • Additional layer of security with the Account Key.
    • Recover accounts if your family members forget their Master Passwords.

That last one alone is enough incentive for some folks. With the standalone products if someone forgets their Master Password they are forced with the harsh reality of starting over. There is no way into their data without the Master Password.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.