Syncing vaults between computers

Options
lamewing
lamewing
Community Member

I have a question and don't know if there is a solution. I have a mac at home in addition to an iPhone that I carry everywhere. I wanted to set up 1Password so that I could use it at home, on my phone and on my work PC. The problem is that I don't have wifi at work, no dropbox or iCloud either (security).

So...how would I sync the vault at work with my Mac at home and iPhone as well?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11 / Win 7 Ent. SP1
Sync Type: none so far

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lamewing,

Thanks for writing us with your question! If your work PC doesn't have Wi-Fi, Dropbox, or iCloud, that limits things a bit, but there are still a few different options for you.

The easiest option would be to sign up for our new 1Password for Families service. Your 1Password data would stay up to date on each device via our secure servers, so that would work well for you (as long as those servers aren't blocked on your work PC, of course).

The next best option would be to use the Folder sync option in 1Password for Mac, along with another sync service which would copy the sync file to/from your work PC. That might be a good option as long as you're able to use a sync service that isn't blocked on your work PC. Now, Folder sync won't work with 1Password for iOS, but you can set up Wi-Fi sync between your iPhone and Mac.

A third option would be to use Wi-Fi, Dropbox, or iCloud sync between your Mac and iPhone, and occasionally switch 1Password for Mac to Folder sync in order to create (or update) a sync file on a USB drive. 1Password for Windows can read directly from the sync file on that USB drive when it's connected to your work PC. If you make changes to it on your work PC, connect that USB drive to your Mac again, and switch 1Password for Mac to Folder sync so you can get the updated info from the sync file on the USB drive.

I hope this helps! If you'd like us to elaborate on any of those options, or if you have other questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• lamewing
    lamewing
    Community Member
    Options

I will look at the folder sync / flash drive option. That might just work. I want to confirm that if I want iCloud syncing, I will need to buy the license on the iTunes store. Is that correct, or does that no longer apply.

• lamewing
    lamewing
    Community Member
    Options

From what I can see, if I want iCloud syncing, I have to buy the Mac version on the Mac App Store and then upgrade/buy separately the Windows version. Is this correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lamewing: While iCloud Sync is available in 1Password for Mac version 6 regardless of where it is purchased, iCloud Sync is not available on Windows. Only Dropbox is available there. However, 1Password for Windows writes the vault directly to disk (similar to Folder Sync on OS X), so you could save it onto a removable USB drive for transfer to and from work.

• lamewing
    lamewing
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - Hmmm. I didn't expect to be able to use iCloud with a Windows machine, but I was under the impression that I had to purchase from the Mac App Store to gain iCloud Sync.

So I was incorrect, and then can buy 1Password from either locations (Mac App Store or the AG website)?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lamewing,

I was under the impression that I had to purchase from the Mac App Store to gain iCloud Sync.

That was true with 1Password 5 for Mac, as the CloudKit technology that we use for iCloud sync was exclusive to apps sold from Apple's App Store. However, that's changed, as Apple introduced a way for Mac apps sold outside of the App Store to access their CloudKit servers. Therefore, we were able to add iCloud sync to the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 6 for Mac. We were really excited to be able to do that! :)

So I was incorrect, and then can buy 1Password from either locations (Mac App Store or the AG website)?

Yes - regardless of whether you buy it from the Mac App Store or our AgileBits Store, 1Password 6 for Mac includes iCloud sync.

Sorry for any confusion about that! If you have more questions, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.