Mac to iPad syncing issue

uhb_71
uhb_71
Community Member

I have an old version of on my mac (v3.8.22) which has all my password saved on. After my ipad crashed, I had to install a new version of one password (V6.2.2).

The two appear incompatible, and I'm currently unable to sync the devices.

Please could you advise the best course of action.

Many thanks

1Password Version: V.3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @uhb_71 ,

There are a couple of ways to do this:

1. Upgrade to a newer version on your Mac. This may not be possible depending on what version of OS X you have.
    2. Use Dropbox for syncing. You will need to get a (free) Dropbox account from dropbox.com, and install the software on your Mac. Then you can switch to Dropbox in the Sync preferences on your Mac.

If you need further assistance with this, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to help you out.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• uhb_71
    uhb_71
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for the info.

If I upgraded, do I need to back-up/save the password data first? as I only have one version of the software, keen not to lose the data for obvious reasons..

Many thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @uhb_71,

1Password 6 is installed as a separate app, and it should be able to find and copy the data you have in 1Password 3, but otherwise leaves 1Password 3 and its data alone. So you don't necessarily need to backup your data first, but it's always a good idea to do that anyway! ;) From the 1Password 3 app, simply go to File > Backup Data File.

The latest version is 1Password 6, and that requires Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or 10.11 (El Capitan). If you have 1Password 6 for Mac and 1Password 6 for iOS, you can sync using Dropbox, iCloud, or Wi-Fi.

If your Mac is running 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or 10.9 (Mavericks), you can still upgrade to 1Password 4, which can sync with 1Password 6 for iOS via Dropbox or Wi-Fi. (If you upgrade to a 1Password 6 for Mac license, that license will also work with 1Password 4).

However, if your Mac is running 10.7 (Lion) or 10.6 (Snow Leopard), you'll need to continue using 1Password 3 for Mac, as that's the last version of 1Password which worked on those versions of OS X. In that case, you'll need to use Dropbox sync.

To upgrade, you can visit our Upgrade Store and enter your 1Password 3 license code to see your upgrade discount and license options.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.