Non-Windows 10

Options
nosnhojm
nosnhojm
Community Member

I've read the various other threads regarding Windows support, but it is still unclear to me if the 1Password teams/families support is only coming to the Windows 10 app, or if it will also come to Windows 7. My employer, like many other employers, take a notoriously long time to migrate workstations to newer versions of Windows...so I predict that I will not have access to Windows 10 for quite some time. Using the 1Password teams website is OK for intermittent use, but not so great for an every day (multiple times per day) workflow.

I would be equally satisfied if the browser extensions could work without needing the 1Password native client installed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nosnhojm: Yes, 1Password for Teams/Families will be supported on Windows 7+ with a future version of 1Password for Windows. The web interface is a great workaround in the mean time, but we really want to be able to use a native app too. We're working on it! :)

• zfil
    zfil
    Community Member
    Options

Great to read that.

Any time frame ?
    I not subscribing until this is ready has I've mainly win7 users in my familly :)

• Ben
    Options

Hi @zfil

We don't have any time frame to share (other than "as soon as its ready") but we are working very hard on it. Teams & Families are some of our top priorities right now, and getting the client apps up to speed for them goes right along with that.

Ben

• Dig_Doug
    Dig_Doug
    Community Member
    Options

+1 gents.

I am straddled now with 1Password on a Mac/Win 8.1 and iOs with TRIAL licences. I've migrated us to a family b/c it looks great, but of course can't use it on my work PC. Looking forward to the launch of 1PW for Windows 7+.

BTW, I appreciate how difficult it must be to write & maintain code on so many different platforms + all those browsers. Keep coding AgileBits!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @Dig_Doug!

For what it is worth, the web interface can be accessed on Windows 7. I know this is not nearly the same as having the experience of a native application, but it may be able to hold you over until such a thing exists. :)

Ben

• Lion22
    Lion22
    Community Member
    Options

I am on Windows 8 right now. But I want to upgrade my pc to Windows 10. Is this good idea to upgrade my pc right now? What do you think guys?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Lion22,

From a 1Password perspective Windows 10 is great! It is the only desktop OS our Windows 10 beta (which supports 1Password for Families and 1Password for Teams) runs on. Our existing 1Password 4 for Windows desktop app continues to run there as well, however this application does not yet support Families or Teams.

Thanks!

Ben

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

+1 for Windows 7.

The company that I work for transitioned to Windows 7 after security updates were cut off for XP. That is pretty much their only motivation to upgrade the primary OS of the work force. If my crystal ball is correct, I will probably be running the Windows 10 version of 1Password sometime around 2025.

UPDATE:
    The primary browser at my employer is Chrome. Has there been any talk of creating a Chrome App/Extension that works with the 1Password web application? Is this even possible with the current security architecture of 1Password for Teams or Families?

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote for Windows 7 support. It is actively being worked on.

I'm not aware of any plans to create an extension that could work independently of a native app. I'm not sure of the technical feasibility of such a thing. I know it is an idea that has been bounced around but I imagine the overhead required would just be too much for a browser extension to handle entirely on its own.

Ben

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff Thanks for info.

I understand about the resource constraints on a Chrome app. The AgileBits teams has a lot of ground to cover with all of the platforms you support!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Fooligan: All also add that I'm in a similar situation on my Windows 7 and 8 machines. While a Windows desktop app with 1Password for Teams/Families support isn't available yet (and we have no plans for a standalone Chrome extension), you can always use the web interface in Chrome (or Firefox). Especially on a company machine, that may be preferable in some cases. And regardless, you can use it to view (and edit!) your Teams/Families vaults in the browser when a native app isn't available. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.