Licensing

steveketcham
steveketcham
Community Member

Is the license fee a one time fee or yearly? Also, if only my wife and I are using 1Password, on a mac, both our iPads and our iPhones, will one mac license do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:forgot-master-password, kb:master-password-not-accepted, kb-search:terms of license, kb-search:Is the license fee for a year only?, kb:pro-features-faq

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

@steveketcham -

You posted this in the 1Password for Families section of the forum. If that is what you are interested in, it is a very new product that is sold on a monthly subscription basis for US$5 per month. That monthly price includes access to the most up-to-date versions of the native applications for all platforms and all family members without additional charge, so you and your wife would be covered for everything that way.

But the way you asked your question makes me wonder if you are asking about the standalone applications, not tied to Families. If that's your question, licensing is on a one time basis (except for possible future paid upgrades, if you want them). They are sold on a per user and per platform basis, and the single user Mac license may be used by up to six family members living in the same household, either through Apple's Family Sharing or by both of you installing the same license file on each Mac.

Because iOS is a separate platfrom from OS X, you will need separate licenses to use 1Password on those devices. It is free to download an use in its basic form, but it requires an in-app purchase to activate more advanced Pro features. That payment is independent of any license you have purchased for any other platform. Once the Pro features are acitvated, they may be used on any iOS device that uses the Apple ID used to buy them. But Apple does not permit Family Sharing for in-app purchases, so if you and your wife do not use the same Apple ID, each of you would have to buy access to the Pro features.

You can read more extensive discussion of licensing terms here: What do I need to purchase to use 1Password on all my devices?

If you have more questions, do post back.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@steveketcham: 1Password for Families does not require a license; rather, it is a subscription. However, you can still purchase a license for the standalone app(s) if you prefer that instead. I think hawkmoth pretty much covered it, but be sure to let us know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.