1Password Family - Initial Setup

Options
Poiks
Poiks
Community Member

Hi,

I've been a 1Password user for ages, but I've signed up for 1Password for families so that I can help my wife get her passwords organized. However I when I set up her 1Password on her iPhone and connected to the Family account using the QR code, she is now able to see all of my passwords (in effect, her phone seems to think she's me). How can I set her up to access the shared stuff on the Family account, but to see and save her own passwords, along with shared ones, instead of seeing mine?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:sync-options, kb:move-data-teams-families, kb-search:family, kb:teams-families-setup, kb:teams-families-setup-existing-user

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@Poiks - I am going to move this to the Families section of the forum, where I'm sure you will get the best help on your question. I'm not a Families user, so I'm sorry not be able to provide specific help.

• Poiks
    Poiks
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you and apologies, I thought that was where I was posting.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Poiks,

I have a couple of ideas that might help us figure out what's going on here :) I have a few questions that'll get the ball rolling!

1) Did you invite your wife to join 1Password? Here are the instructions for doing that: Invite your team members
    2) Did you set up 1Password on her iPhone using the account she created after you invited her?
    3) Are your items in the Shared vault or in your Personal vault?

Thank you :)

• Poiks
    Poiks
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Aleen,
    Thanks for responding.
    It's a bit convoluted. I installed 1Password on my wife's phone and laptop as a trial. She started setting up her own passwords on both, synchronizing via Dropbox. But then 1Password for Families was announced, and I signed up, and then used the QR code to add her on her phone. That seemed to make her phone think that she was me, I guess. So now she sees my personal items, not the shared ones.

She hasn't gotten far along enough that it would be a problem to start from scratch on her end. How can I set her up so that she has her own passwords plus the ability to share others, and see my shared passwords? She'll need to use both her laptop and her iPhone.

• jFred
    jFred
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds like you are setting up her phone as you. Have you created an account for her in the Families web interface and invited her? if not, you are using YOUR account and her phone thinks she is you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Poiks: Indeed, if you have your wife login as you, with your email address and Master Password(!) then she is you as far as 1Password is concerned. As you can imagine, this is not ideal.

One of the great things about 1Password for Families is that you can share a vault with your wife (or someone else) without giving them your Master Password. Be sure to log her out and send her an invitation ("Invite Your Team" will be one of your Quests on the right when you log in). That way she can choose a Master Password of her own and also have a personal vault, just like you. :)

• Poiks
    Poiks
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! I eventually figured that out and it seems to be working fine. The last step will be making sure she can access her information from her phone.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great to hear! Please let us know if you have any other questions :)

This discussion has been closed.