Migrating 1 Password from an old Apple imac to a new Apple imac

Options
DoggyDan
DoggyDan
Community Member

I thought I had migrated sucessfully using Dropbox (and I got very excited!) however the 1 Password on my new machine only had 43 passwords not the 120 I have on my old one. I think this was due to the fact I had an old file in Drop Box. So...
I cleared 1 Password back off my New imac, and cleared the folder from Drop box and then Synced again with Drop Box to my old machine and then reloaded 1 Password and used the new folder in Drop Box. Again though it only has copied 43 passwords across... Any ideas what is going on?
Cheers Dan

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Drop Box

Comments

• DoggyDan
    DoggyDan
    Community Member
    Options

I've tried it again and deleted all of 1Password off my new imac...then cleared Drop Box, then synced again Drop Box and the old imac.
    Then reloaded 1 Password and then synced the 1Password with Drop Box and same thing. Only 43 passwords have loaded up :(
    I am so lost and will just have to wait for help! Thanks Dan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DoggyDan: It sounds like it's the same vault with the same 43 items in it still. Is that correct? I think the best place to start would be where you have all of your 1Password data — an old Mac, perhaps?

If you have 1Password setup on another device with the vault you want to transfer to the new Mac, you just need to check the path to its vault and then point the new Mac to the same one. For example, on my main machine, I have my main vault in (Dropbox)/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain. So when I setup a new device, I just point it to that vault in Dropbox.

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• DoggyDan
    DoggyDan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there Brenty, appreciate you getting in touch. I agree. And that is what I am trying to do.
    I am a bit confused though, maybe you can help. (I have limited technical skills as I am a dog trainer!)
    So where are the 43 passwords being saved and where are the other 72 (115 -43) being stored? I dont really understand the ins and outs so you will have to spell it out to me. Are you saying the other 72 are being stored somewhere else? And if so, where are they and how do I move them to join the other 43? As you can see I am confused.
    I did find a (Dropbox)/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain. File that I moved up to Drop Box however that is the one which when I pointed my new mac at only seemed to contain 43 passwords...
    Maybe the bit I am missing is that I don't really understand how to check that I have ALL the passwords in my vault. (I think maybe I only have 43 in there currently) Is there a way of checking?
    Thanks heaps for your help :)
    cheers Dan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi there Brenty, appreciate you getting in touch. I agree. And that is what I am trying to do.
    I am a bit confused though, maybe you can help. (I have limited technical skills as I am a dog trainer!)

@DoggyDan: 1Password I know, so I think I can help here. But don't sell yourself short. You probably have technical skills I could never dream of. I may have need of your services if the neighbor's chihuahua gets any bolder! :lol:

So where are the 43 passwords being saved and where are the other 72 (115 -43) being stored? I dont really understand the ins and outs so you will have to spell it out to me. Are you saying the other 72 are being stored somewhere else? And if so, where are they and how do I move them to join the other 43? As you can see I am confused.

I don't know for certain of course, but it does seem like you may have two separate vaults: the one with only 43 items which is dogging you (sorry, I couldn't resist!) and another with considerably more, which is the one you're looking for. But one important question: are these 43 items something you want to keep as well, or are they completely obsolete?

I did find a (Dropbox)/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain. File that I moved up to Drop Box however that is the one which when I pointed my new mac at only seemed to contain 43 passwords...
    Maybe the bit I am missing is that I don't really understand how to check that I have ALL the passwords in my vault. (I think maybe I only have 43 in there currently) Is there a way of checking?

Since you must be getting this 115/120 number from somewhere. Is that your old Mac? Are you able to view all of your items there in 1Password? I think a good starting point would be to select All Items on the left, and compare what you see there to your new Mac:

Do they match? You'll have an item count on the left, and then a list of items just to the right of that. It sounds like there may be a discrepancy though, and so far (Dropbox)/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain sounds like it may be the "wrong" vault. Is that what's listed in 1Password Preferences > Sync on both Macs? The path to the vault in Dropbox will be listed there:

Thanks heaps for your help :)
    cheers Dan

Any time! Please let me know the OS and 1Password versions you're using on both Macs, as it may make a difference in the specific things we need to look for and what needs to be done. We're not there yet, but we'll get this sorted out for you! :)

• DoggyDan
    DoggyDan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty, nice pun!
    Your Q: But one important question: are these 43 items something you want to keep as well, or are they completely obsolete?
    My Answer: The 43 is the number on my new imac 1Password where it says All Items 43 the old imac 1Password says 122. The 43 passwords are replicas of ones in the list of 122. So we can bin them on the new imac and start again.

In an attempt to sort out the issue I have upgraded my 1Password on my old mac to the latest version 6.0.2 however now it is saying that the primary vault is in sync with "None"
    and when I try to change it to Drop Box it says... "Disabling Sync" 1Password will no longer sync with the folder.
    So I think I have gone backwards!

I think I now need to reset my password looking at some articles! To be honest I would pay somebody to help me with this over the phone. I just feel that I am not competent and its too technical. Is there a way I can pay for help over the phone?

Thanks Dan

• DoggyDan
    DoggyDan
    Community Member
    Options

I should add that both versions of 1Password are 6.0.2 and the new machine is running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 and the new one is OS X El Capitan 10.11.3
    Of course if you think we can do this over the Forum I am happy too!
    I think you may have been onto something Brenty with them looking at the wrong vaults as they did look different. (Now I am unable to see them as they "won't sync" any more)
    Speak soon, cheers Dan

• DoggyDan
    DoggyDan
    Community Member
    Options

One last thing...My old iMac syncs well with my iphone. So is it possible just to tell my new iMac to sync with it?
    After all they are sat next to each other!
    Dogs are so much easier to figure out :)

• Hi @DoggyDan ,

Is it possible that you have two sync files on Dropbox, and that each Mac is pointing to a different one?

On the old iMac (the one with all the items) go into Preferences > Sync. Click on the vault and look at the path to Dropbox.
    Then on the new iMac, and do the same. Are the paths the same? Be careful when comparing here: one file might be in
    Users > youruser > Dropbox > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain
    and the other in
    Users > youruser > Dropbox > 1Password.agilekeychain

That would certainly explain the discrepancy. And when setting up your new iMac, it probably pointed to the first file on Dropbox it found. If that is the case, I recommend, clearing out your 1Password data on your new iMac, and when you launch it again, do not just choose Dropbox when it says it found data on Dropbox, but choose the option to find your data elsewhere, and manually navigate to the correct file in Dropbox (the same one your old iMac is using).

Give that a try, and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• DoggyDan
    DoggyDan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin,
    yep I am keen to compare the two paths to my Drop Box however I am now unable to sync at all with Drop Box from my old iMac I get this message...
    "Disabling Sync
    1Password will no longer sync with the folder." I have the options to Cancel or Disable Sync
    So I am really lost as to where to go now.
    Thanks so much for your help, cheers
    Dan

• DoggyDan
    DoggyDan
    Community Member
    Options

I have searched the phrase "Disabling Sync : 1Password will no longer sync with the folder"
    but cant find and help on the topic...strange.
    Can anyone point me to some helpful pages.
    Thanks. Dan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

yep I am keen to compare the two paths to my Drop Box however I am now unable to sync at all with Drop Box from my old iMac I get this message... "Disabling Sync 1Password will no longer sync with the folder." I have the options to Cancel or Disable Sync
    So I am really lost as to where to go now.
    Thanks so much for your help, cheers

@DoggyDan: Aha! Thanks for sharing that information, Dan! We're getting somewhere! :chuffed:

It sounds like you probably have an old vault lying around from an old/separate version of 1Password, which is the source of this confusion. I believe I have the solution for you, since you confirmed that you can in fact see all of the items in 1Password on the old Mac. Please follow these steps on the old Mac:

1. Backup your data
    2. Install the latest version of Dropbox
    3. Setup Dropbox Sync in 1Password — if you need to disable sync first (set to None), that's okay; we want to set it up from scratch by selecting Dropbox from the dropdown menu in 1Password Preferences > Sync
    4. Let Dropbox finish syncing (you'll see the icon at the top of the screen stop animating)
    5. Note the path listed in 1Password Preferences > Sync for your vault

Then, on your new Mac, if you're certain that you don't need the 43 items there, you can use the Data Reset Utility to start over. Before we go too far, you should back up your existing data just in case by selecting File > Backup from the menu bar. Then follow these steps to start over with a new vault and setup sync:

1. Download the Data Reset Utility
    2. Double-click the ZIP file to decompress it (if your browser didn't do that for you automatically)
    3. Control-click on the tool and select "Open" from the shortcut menu
    4. Follow the prompts, and then restart your Mac
    5. Install the latest version of Dropbox and let it finish syncing
    6. Open 1Password and choose your vault in Dropbox (the same path as the one in step 5 from the old Mac)

Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• DoggyDan
    DoggyDan
    Community Member
    Options

Yo Dude, YOU cracked it !!! And I am thankful for that.
    I am so happy and grateful Brenty, I did everything you said...and it all worked. I have a bad neck from working on my old computer which is off to the side so today I can start looking straight ahead at my new one! I train dogs www.doggydan.co.nz and have a dog training membership site www.theonlinedogtrainer.com so I know what its like answering hundreds of questions in a Forum! This time I was on the other end and it was great to get a "user" experience. Thanks a million once again Brenty.
    I just have to point my iphone to the new imac and I shall be done. I'll have a look for an article on it now.
    Thanks mate a have great day.

This discussion has been closed.