option to add to apple watch not available

ronharris
ronharris
Community Member

Open a password record in 1pw for iPhone and there is no option to add to apple watch. How do I add this option

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ronharris: First, make sure you've enabled the Watch app, and then you can choose the Add to Apple Watch option inside Bank Account, Credit Card, Drivers License, Login, Passport, Password, Secure Note, Social Security Number, and Wireless Router items in your Primary vault. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• erich_aregger
    erich_aregger
    Community Member

I've got the same problem since I switched to the 1pw for teams....It worked perfect before. Is this not compatible?
    Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@erich_aregger: It is, but as I mentioned in my previous post, only items in the Primary (of the types I outlined) can be added to Apple Watch. Is there a specific item in a particular vault you're trying to add? Please let me know what you find, as that may help solve this mystery!

• Davinche
    Davinche
    Community Member

Any plans to add Apple Watch compatibility to 1Password for Teams/Family? I moved to Family to get away from Dropbox syncing and easily sharing with my family. So I have an empty primary vault as I moved everything to one of my Family vaults.

• @Davinche We definitely plan to add it. I've let our development team know about your interest. :) Thanks for posting about it.

ref: OPI-3371

• erich_aregger
    erich_aregger
    Community Member

@brenty thanks, since I don't use a primary vault anymore (switched all my items to my personal vault for teams) I'll have to wait till the 1pw for teams is compatible with the apple watch – I'm assuming.

• Correct. At the moment only items from the Primary vault can be added to Apple Watch but our development team is aware of the desire to use Apple Watch with Teams/Families. :)

Ben

• jh250062
    jh250062
    Community Member

Dido on Team support for Apple Watch. Don't use Primary vault at all since joined teams, and now can't use Apple Watch. Thanks!

• @jh250062

I'm in the same boat. All of my data lives in either 1Password for Families, or one of two 1Password for Teams accounts. I just recently got an Apple Watch, and have been unable to add my items to it. We're working hard to get this fixed up.

Talk about dogfooding!

:)

Ben

• h34i
    h34i
    Community Member

Why limit Apple Watch access to only the field types you mentioned?

I want to keep an email adress in an "Identity" category. It's a random email adress that I give to sales people and so forth when signing up for promotional deals on the street. It would be great to have it accessible on the watch.

• @h34i,

We do have an improvement request filed for that. Hopefully it is something we can implement in the future.

Ben

ref: OPI-2660

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Why limit Apple Watch access to only the field types you mentioned?

@h34i: Because we didn't want to take any chances with our most sensitive information (or yours), we were purposefully cautious designing our first app for a small wearable device. But over time as we've used the Apple Watch ourselves on a daily basis and listened to feedback from customers who're doing the same, we've expanded this a bit. And as Ben mentioned we're exploring making it even more flexible in the future.

I want to keep an email adress in an "Identity" category. It's a random email adress that I give to sales people and so forth when signing up for promotional deals on the street. It would be great to have it accessible on the watch.

You can actually do this now: whether on an Apple Watch or another device, Secure Notes are great for storing information like that securely. After all, it sounds like you don't need (or perhaps want) your full login credentials for the "marketing" email account, so having it stored as a note that's accessible on your Watch may be a good option. :pirate:

• h34i
    h34i
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for the suggestion. That you are rolling out the Apple Watch in a cautious and deliberate manner for security reasons is something that I support.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the kind words! Indeed, the last thing we want to do is take it too far and find out that it was a bad idea only after the fact, not only from a security perspective, but usability as well. Like many developers, when we started working on supporting Apple Watch, none of us had even seen one. And with something as personal as that, the way people actually use it is perhaps even more important than what is possible. :)

• mawoolwine
    mawoolwine
    Community Member

Please add the Apple Watch to the family feature!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the vote! Hopefully we'll be able to do just that in a future update. :)

• jdowson
    jdowson
    Community Member

+1 on Apple Watch support for 1Password for Families, please.

• Thanks for the vote @jdowson!

Ben

• jhnielson
    jhnielson
    Community Member

So after laying for the stand alone apps for years, and then I start paying you more money every month with 1P Families, and you tell me that you overlooked this feature. That is a massive oversight. You should have prioritized Families/Teams. This makes me really regret upgrading. What another new features will we get after everyone else?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jhnielson: Unfortunately it wasn't possible to support 1Password Accounts when we developed the Apple Watch app; they did not exist at that time. Ironically, license holders feel the same way: that we should prioritize them. We're not willing to play favourites though. We can't do everything at once, but we're working hard to improve 1Password for everyone. These things do take time, however, as we hold ourselves to the same high standard you and the rest of our awesome customers do. And remember: we want to use 1Password Accounts with our Apple Watches too, so, as you can imagine, this isn't something we're going to let stand. Got mine back from repair today, so I'm extra anxious! ;)

• fex
    fex
    Community Member

Anything new about Apple Watch Support for 1Password Family/Team? Would like to hear about a estimated time of release,,,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fex: No news since my last post, 5 hours before yours. ;)

We're working on it, but I'm not going to be the one to jinx things by naming a date. :lol:

• fex
    fex
    Community Member

Ok - no date, but are we talking about days, weeks, months or years?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sooner rather than later. Nothing to announce now, but keep an eye out for updates. :) :+1:

• mondopiccolo
    mondopiccolo
    Community Member

Just bought a new Apple Watch looking forward to 1Password integration as one of the main benefits and... after spending 30 minutes reading docs and trying to make it work, I came here and discovered the integration does not yet support 1Password Families.

This is very disappointing (I still like you because now the Windows app works fine so I have hope ;), but frankly the worse thing is that nowhere is written in the documentation/inside the app that this is a missing feature.
    1Password app for iphone should know I have all my passwords in the remote vault and alert me when trying to enable the Apple Watch .

While you work to improve the app, you should at least consider such an alert to avoid making customers even more frustrated.

Thanks,
    Matteo

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mondopiccolo: I'm not sure that annoying popups are a good solution. After all, that's sort of like rubbing salt in the wound! But you're right, it is frustrating to not be able to access non-Primary vault data there — whether it be from a 1Password Account or secondary vaults. I think the best thing for everyone is for us to add this feature, so that's what we're working on. I'm really sorry for any trouble this has caused you in the mean time. :blush:

• sandewil
    sandewil
    Community Member

+1 for Apple Watch - Totally misleading that Apple Watch is not supported on Family/Teams versions. This is by far the most expensive password vault product on the market. To advertise that it supports Apple Watch when it clearly does not is very disrespectful. I, too, wasted 30 minutes trying to make this work only to find out it's not. Super Lame!

Please change your documentation to be HONEST or I will cancel before my 30-day trial is finished.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

@sandewil: I'm sorry for the confusion! Could you direct me to the advertising you're referring to so we can correct it? Thank in advance!

• sandewil
    sandewil
    Community Member

@brenty 1) the app is in the Apple Watch App Store; product details include a bullet point for Apple Watch functionality - no disclaimer that it only works for the personal version. 2) Compatibility - Apple Watch - Yes - again, no disclaimer only on personal version 3) on the Families product page it states that "data appears instantly on all your devices" 4) on Teams product page in the everywhere section you show pictures of all the devices it works on including MacBooks, iPads, iPhones and the Apple Watch 5) Also on the bottom of the teams page in the "for more than just phones" section, the faked screenshots are formatted to the exact, unique dimensions of an Apple Watch screen and finally 6) your iOS user guide Apple Watch section mentions nothing about the limitations of the family and team versions - https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/settings-apple-watch.html

Super Lame. Misleading on purpose.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Misleading on purpose.

@sandewil: Thanks for getting back to me! Not in the least. Keep in mind that you can use 1Password on your Apple Watch as a subscriber. I do. And while it does require a Primary vault currently, the Pro upgrade is unlocked with your subscription, so it's available to you for no additional charge. I'll be happy to walk you through setting that up. 1Password for Apple Watch was designed before 1Password Families, Teams, and individual accounts existed however, so its documentation reflects that, rather than a conspiracy of misinformation. That said, you're absolutely right that these need to be updated, and I really appreciate you bringing this up so we can address these oversights! Thank you! :)

This discussion has been closed.